If English was not compulsory... (1 Viewer)

62anoiF

HSC
I would consider doing it but only Standard because then even if I go crap it won't count towards my UAI.
Right now english is going to drag my UAI down A LOT!

runnable

HSC
62anoiF said:
I would consider doing it but only Standard because then even if I go crap it won't count towards my UAI.
Right now english is going to drag my UAI down A LOT!

What? 2 units of English will count regardless. Go crap in Standard, you can watch your UAI plummet.

HSC
Considering all the HSC for advanced english is is 6 rote learn essays churned up yeah.

Though sometimes the bias of english markers gives me the shits.

iluvGG

HSC
would defintely not. i hate that english is compulsory. if it wasn't i'd probably go better, which is annoying!

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
At the beginning of year 11, I would've given you a resounding YES! But now that I've learnt that English is all about memorising and churning out essays, I'd have to say that I'd most probably choose it.

Consider this: At the beginning of the HSC, prior to me knowing about memorising essays, I was achieving marks around the range of 40%. Nowadays, I'm getting 80%. That's a pretty massive leap.

Also, those who tell you that you must read to be good at english don't know what they're on about. I haven't picked up a book since year 6, and even then the only books I was reading were the books with the bite in the corner...what were they called?....Aussie Bites!

So yeah, my answer: I would choose the subject.

HSC
Wassup? said:
At the beginning of year 11, I would've given you a resounding YES! But now that I've learnt that English is all about memorising and churning out essays, I'd have to say that I'd most probably choose it.
Curious why does this frustrate you? I think subjects with low content (where you can memorise responses) benefit intelligent students because they can focus on the mechanics of the marking (source usage, buzz phrases, breaking open modules) rather then remember huge masses of content.

I love subjects where you can 'go fishing' and bring in stuff you do from other modules (for example the Gadates letter in Persian society fits into the syllabus dot points of Persian economy, agriculture, natural resources, Persian beaurocracy (role and image of the king, government, satraps and satrapys, nobles and non nobles, social structure) and persian religion).

BoyNextDoor

HSC
Of course not! I hate English, I wouldn't do it at all. It's pretty much useless apart from learning how to write essays. But everything else, its all irelevant!

wLym

HSC
I enjoy english to an extent...some concepts and thinking processes in the course are a fun challenge....but to be honest, english has been the cause of all my hsc woes so far, so fuck, it shouldnt be compulsory. I wouldnt wish inner journeys, king lear, emma, ted hughes, oh did i mention emma? well i wouldnt wish that crap on anyone, its too cruel...

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
HELL NO!

english is what is bring me down!!!!

i try so hard and the most i get is like 60%

>.<"

BoyNextDoor

HSC
^
I agree with you.

You know what, what's important is that we know how to write and speak English and I think that's fine enough!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)