If English wasn't compulsory, would you do it? (1 Viewer)

cs01001

HSC
Yeah true, now when I come to think of it, English is probably the most useless subject, as it is totally irrelavent to the real word, its not really practical... Learning to memorise and merge quotes, to learn Shakespeare etc is just gay.

HSC
i'd still do it, except i would probably choose to do standard instead of the advanced the school made us do.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well English is fundamental to our language. Without it, we wouldn't know how to write letters, diary entries or stories. Even more, we'd be speaking another language. Some people wouldn't mind that :)

over9k

HSC
I probably would, only because I'm horrible at science.

cccclaire

HSC
I'm reasonably good at english so I guess I would keep doing it.
Although I'm also good at computers and I haven't chosen any computer subjects because I had too many, so I guess if I were to drop english I could pick up SDD or something.
I guess it would depend on university requirements of english, although I can't imagine them caring about most of the shit we do in english =/

James747

HSC
English may a really useless subject. But then again, how applicable is all that maths we're doing applicable to life?

HSC
You will find that a lot of general maths is used in everyday life, not so much the higher level maths.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
That's how I would like it to be, compulsory for HSC but not UAI :uhhuh:
ohh .. ahah .. my bad ! but nahh .. no english ! ><" undisputably the worst subject ever ! ( for me that is =] )

shaaali

HSC
Yep.

But i have to say, ext. is WAY better than adv.

Ged Janet

HSC
Yep i would definitely do English, even if it wasn't compulsory. :) (Hehe i love it)

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
i think a lot of people wouldnt, me for one. if u think about, we really dont learn anything useful in english unless u r planning on becoming an english teacher. like so many people cant spell or use good grammar, that is what we should actually be learning. and it is the most useless subject, and the only compulsory one. and extremely stupid

Evergreen

HSC
hell no. i have this thing where i read a passage and keep not understanding it. its some word attention problem i have. my grammar is very shit also.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Grammar and spelling as well as sentence construction should be taught at a primary level. So that is the NSW primary education failing you.

I would still have done English. It was absolutely fantastic and my favorite subject. At a HSC level you're meant to be analysing and interpreting texts. Not necessarily in the way that they expect you to (Marxist, Feminist, all that crap) but more in terms of your own understanding.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I take that back my grammar is that horrible, but my vocabulary is inferior though :(

Tulipa said:
Grammar and spelling as well as sentence construction should be taught at a primary level. So that is the NSW primary education failing you.

I would still have done English. It was absolutely fantastic and my favorite subject. At a HSC level you're meant to be analysing and interpreting texts. Not necessarily in the way that they expect you to (Marxist, Feminist, all that crap) but more in terms of your own understanding.
I don't understand why people are very interested in English :(

osamabanana

HSC
i hate english et i do advanced in the vein hope to get a decent uai. its stupid im never gunna need to understand shakespiere (though i might have to spell it lol) in real life outside of school so why is it so necessary to teach it. If it was compulsarary but didn't hav to go towards your uai it would be much better cause i see the slight usefulness of some of the stuff but other stuff like changes and shakespierre is crap. only problem with that is that people would probably just bludge in english and hope sciences and maths subjects would pull them through i know i would

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)