If they ask about the production of polyethylene (1 Viewer)

vds700

HSC
Do we talk about the older gas phase process (LDPE) or the Zeigler Natta process (HDPE)?

I have seen a question about this, but success one didnt talk specifically about either, just how an initiator activavates an ethylene molecule and other molecules join onto this. But the conditions are slightly different for the 2, so just wondering which you should talk about.

pooja_107

HSC
i think we should talk about both...cause they are for the production of LDPE and HDPE..unless they speciacilly ask us...just know both processes well

eddy11

HSC
i think only one is generally necessary to know well, just be aware of how the different processes produce different chain lengths affecting properties

JasonNg1025

HSC
Different chemical conditions produce different chain structures. For LDPE, the chain structures involve heavy branching, meaning there's more space between the chains accounting for its low density. For HDPE, the chain structures have very little branching, meaning they pack together closer and have a higher density

EDIT: Ok, I got the conditions

LDPE - Peroxide catalyst with an O-O bond that breaks the double bond open allowing for initiation / propagation, high pressure.

HDPE - transition metal catalysts and low pressure enabled more ordered orientation of chains

danz90

HSC
eddy11 said:
i think only one is generally necessary to know well, just be aware of how the different processes produce different chain lengths affecting properties
Yeah, I thought the same.

For example, high gas pressures and higher temperatures produces HDPE ? (not 100% sure on this, have to read over notes again later on). And they use different transition metal catalysts to produce HDPE, and LDPE.

Although all of the addition polymerisation begins with a peroxide radical for initiation, to produce an activated monomer. Then the propagation, and then finally termination.

Zippora

HSC
danz90 said:
Yeah, I thought the same.

For example, high gas pressures and higher temperatures produces HDPE ? (not 100% sure on this, have to read over notes again later on). And they use different transition metal catalysts to produce HDPE, and LDPE.

Although all of the addition polymerisation begins with a peroxide radical for initiation, to produce an activated monomer. Then the propagation, and then finally termination.
no, high gas pressure and higher temps produces LDPE

JasonNg1025

HSC
Yeah I agree with Zippora
High pressure is LDPE
Hey, doesn't high temperature mean low pressure due to that ideal gas law thing?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Zippora said:
no, high gas pressure and higher temps produces LDPE
yup chains branch and cant pack therefore it has low density but the catalyst in HDPE allows linear chains to form with dispersion forces cause to pack together into HDPE

danz90

HSC
I reckon this topic area will be in MC this year, not short answer responses, considering there was a 5 or 6 marker on this stuff in last year's paper.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
danz90 said:
I reckon this topic area will be in MC this year, not short answer responses, considering there was a 5 or 6 marker on this stuff in last year's paper.
Meh prepare for anything

JasonNg1025

HSC
I like that philosophy.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna make money this year, my teacher betted, any money that they're gonna give a long answer question on comparing dry cell/lead acid cell with one of that huge list. If she's wrong, I won't go hard on her, because she just gave birth xD

danz90

HSC
axlenatore said:
Meh prepare for anything
haha true ay. ;)

JasonNg1025 said:
I like that philosophy.
I'm not sure if I'm gonna make money this year, my teacher betted, any money that they're gonna give a long answer question on comparing dry cell/lead acid cell with one of that huge list. If she's wrong, I won't go hard on her, because she just gave birth xD
lol yeh its quite a possibility.. since the last time I saw one was in like 2001 or 2002. They haven't had a longer response on batteries for quite a while ay?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
danz90 said:
haha true ay. ;)

lol yeh its quite a possibility.. since the last time I saw one was in like 2001 or 2002. They haven't had a longer response on batteries for quite a while ay?
Yer ive only seen sort ones, like the oxidation equation from one of them

danz90

HSC
axlenatore said:
Yer ive only seen sort ones, like the oxidation equation from one of them
I would love to have an ordinary 6 marker, comprised up of separate parts, including:

- Draw a galvanic cell (3 marks)
- Calculate the cell potential (2 marks)
- Explain why..... (1 mark)

Would be awesome. But then again, stupid BOS chooses the questions. Then again, we could be loving the BOS for slipping us a nice and straightforward exam (with hopefully not too many extended responses :burn: )

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
JasonNg1025 said:
I like that philosophy.
They had it in the 2007 paper, but then again, bos can be lame and repeat qu's that everyone went bad on the previous year

JasonNg1025

HSC
I don't think they had that 7marker though
I can't remember doing that in the 2007 :O
Oh well

eddy11

HSC
i want a big haber process question, or one about drinking water

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)