If YOU had to make a choice... (1 Viewer)

manutd8

HSC
I like economics, law and finance. and i want to choose whatever is better for my future prospects. So which do you think is a better choice for me?, including teaching quality, facilities, environment etc.

1) BApplied Finance/BEconomics @ Macq Uni

OR

2) BEconomics/BLaw @ Uni of Western Sydney

Appreciate it :)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks dude. but i want to ultimately work in finance, would combined law help future job prospects.
i think it will be beneficial, especially if you later head on into something like corporate financial management

ascentyx

HSC
I know the app fin and economics departments at macq are pretty solid, but i'm not sure how uws stacks up zzz. i guess it's really up to whether you want to do law or not.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Macquarie man, they have really good finance set up. and yeh too many lawyers

manutd8

HSC
Only do law if you want to do it, its a lot of work if all you are looking at is a tiny increase in employment prospects
yeah im not passionate about it, purely for credentials lol.

Macquarie man, they have really good finance set up. and yeh too many lawyers
yeah, im leaning to eco/appfin ;) macq uni does look great

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
1 just because. I wouldn't give my choice much waiting though because i want to do engineering XD

Demandred

HSC
I find it bloody funny that some of the people here giving advice haven't even started uni, let alone know what's it like to pursue a career after university (with exception to Mel)

As what Mel said, a law degree is quite difficult - the readings are huge and very difficult to comprehend, its downright competitive and frustrating when it comes down to assessments - it requires a lot self-drive and passion, especially doing the really boring subjects like legal jurisprudence (IMO anyway). There is no doubt that there is an oversupply of lawyers due to the GFC, the Big 6s like Mallesons / Freehills / AAR are cutting down their staff sizes. Even the mid-tier firms are finding it very hard not to cut staff. So far there hasn't been any noticable effect on your typical small suburb solicitor. Having said that, by the time you graduate the economy would have rebounded and there should be a renewed demand for lawyers.

Not everyone who does a law degree goes on to become lawyers, last I checked, perhaps only half of those finishing a law degree goes on to get a practicing certificate to become a solicitor - many become policy officers, accountants, investment bankers and government analysts.

A law degree definitely helps your prospects of finding a job, employers recognise that its more than just a piece of paper, it demonstrates a way thinking and that you are a highly driven person. I've went to over a dozen job interviews within the corporate world (Big 4 + IBs) and major government departments, and most HRs responded that they would prefer a person with a combined law degree over someone with an single degree (ceteris parabis).

If you are fickle about the reputation of UWS, I would recommend that you do a first year B App Fin / B Eco @ Macq and transfer to B Com / B Law after your first year. It allows you the flexibility of studying finance / economics / law. You'll get academic credit for all of your units so you won't have to spend another semester catching up.

Macq has an excellent reputation for finance / economics that would rival UNSW but its law degree could be better. Macq's law course is more dedicated to inter-contextual work (what the law should be) and not enough focus on black letter law (what the law is). I understand that there is a lot of take home exams with Macq's law degree, so its not as stressful as a 3 hour closed book contract law exam that I did at Usyd law.

Last edited:

manutd8

HSC
I find it bloody funny that some of the people here giving advice haven't even started uni, let alone know what's it like to pursue a career after university (with exception to Mel)

As what Mel said, a law degree is quite difficult - the readings are huge and very difficult to comprehend, its downright competitive and frustrating when it comes down to assessments - it requires a lot self-drive and passion, especially doing the really boring subjects like legal jurisprudence (IMO anyway). There is no doubt that there is an oversupply of lawyers due to the GFC, the Big 6s like Mallesons / Freehills / AAR are cutting down their staff sizes. Even the mid-tier firms are finding it very hard not to cut staff. So far there hasn't been any noticable effect on your typical small suburb solicitor. Having said that, by the time you graduate the economy would have rebounded and there should be a renewed demand for lawyers.

Not everyone who does a law degree goes on to become lawyers, last I checked, perhaps only half of those finishing a law degree goes on to get a practicing certificate to become a solicitor - many become policy officers, accountants, investment bankers and government analysts.

A law degree definitely helps your prospects of finding a job, employers recognise that its more than just a piece of paper, it demonstrates a way thinking and that you are a highly driven person. I've went to over a dozen job interviews within the corporate world (Big 4 + IBs) and major government departments, and most HRs responded that they would prefer a person with a combined law degree over someone with an single degree (ceteris parabis).

If you are fickle about the reputation of UWS, I would recommend that you do a first year B App Fin / B Eco @ Macq and transfer to B Com / B Law after your first year. It allows you the flexibility of studying finance / economics / law. You'll get academic credit for all of your units so you won't have to spend another semester catching up.

Macq has an excellent reputation for finance / economics that would rival UNSW but its law degree could be better. Macq's law course is more dedicated to inter-contextual work (what the law should be) and not enough focus on black letter law (what the law is). I understand that there is a lot of take home exams with Macq's law degree, so its not as stressful as a 3 hour closed book contract law exam that I did at Usyd law.
answered ALL my questions, even those still in my head. seriously, appreciate it :D, are enjoying your course? and where are you doing it at?

GINN

Banned
HSC
N/A
neither of them.

ive found better degrees worth more than the prime minister.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)