I'm at 98.3 - is a 99.6 possible? (1 Viewer)

boncho90

HSC
As title suggests. Is it realistic for me to aim for something above 99?

matorm

HSC
Id have to agree with noir....

Just practice past papers and find where your weaknesses lie...

Then work a bit more on those...

Even if u dont get over 99, u have by no means failed lol...

All the best!! :D

boncho90

HSC
Thanks for the encouragement guys :) I really want to do Arts/Law next year because even though I suck at them, i really love what we learn in legal studies and english at school.

But say my ranks at school are really shoddy:

Advanced English 61/~180
Extension English 30/~120
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55

and as you can tell, my subjects don't scale that well (pretty much only 4u maths does, but it's not a good rank!)

And i guess more info that you might need is that I go to a top 3 school. [which sort of explains why I'm posting here about UAI worries, because the pressure of my school does that to you :()

Ademir

HSC
boncho90 said:
Thanks for the encouragement guys :) I really want to do Arts/Law next year because even though I suck at them, i really love what we learn in legal studies and english at school.

Advanced English 61/~180
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55

and as you can tell, my subjects don't scale that well (pretty much only 4u maths does, but it's not a good rank!)

And i guess more info that you might need is that I go to a top 3 school. [which sort of explains why I'm posting here about UAI worries, because the pressure of my school does that to you :()
If you go to a top 3 school, I'm pretty sure your ranking won't have too much of an adverse effect because everyone is killing shit.

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
If you love english and legal based courses, maybe courses such as international studies, global studies, liberal studies, or advanced arts with majors in anthropology, possibly socio-economic studies might do the trick. That way you are not devoting 5 years of your life towards a law degree that you may not use (that is if you are not planning on becomming a lawyer). For me, if i had an interest in an area without particularly persuing a profession in it, i would do information not training based courses, like liberal studies as opposed to law. With 98, you will get into everything BUT law just about, but there is a world of legal and eglish based opportunity

And i guess more info that you might need is that I go to a top 3 school. [which sort of explains why I'm posting here about UAI worries, because the pressure of my school does that to you :()[/quote]

chronicfootball

Member for Bennelong
HSC
man i suck at posting with quotes, does any1 know how to do it and only include certain sections?

Jaden Cross

HSC
You just have to delete the parts of text you don't want within the tags. They should look something like [ quote=somerandomguysname ] and [ /quote ]

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
boncho90 said:
dvanced English 61/~180
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55

Are you high? Economics and english scale well as long as you do well. Keep on studying and you'll be fine! :)

chronicfootball said:
man i suck at posting with quotes, does any1 know how to do it and only include certain sections?
Simply delete the text that you do not want within the quote in your post. If you click the quote button it will show you how it looks in html view.

Last edited:

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
boncho90 said:

Advanced English 61/~180
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55

Since you go to Baulko (why do you need to be so obscure by mentioning 'top 3'?) to score 99.6 potentially you'll have to be in the top 15-25 of your grade.

The ranks atm probably place you outside of that, so it's more realistic to aim for say 99. I'm assuming you want to do usyd law with that uai aim, but unsw law is just as strong if you can attain 99.2 uai.

Other things to consider:

1) Did you get the principal's awards or student advisor's awards during your junior years? From past years, these appear to be the most accurate indicators of high achievers in baulko (especially as only up to 25 get these awards)

2) Is your english teacher mrs. mathews? If she is, you have every chance of scoring a higher english mark, if not, i'd probably ask to look through your essays, because she is quite competent.

2) Generally the english faculty is decent too, but just saying.

3) I can't count.

5) I'd probably let go of legal studies at this point, because at baulko that rank would only give you about 88-89 internally.

From speaking to my old friends from there these would be the rough internal marks you would score with your ranks:

Eng adv: 92

Ext eng: 47

Ext eng II: upwards of 48

Maths ext: 96

Maths ext II: 89/90

Legal Studies: 88

Economics: 90

Confirm your results in your school report today. Remember that they only list the raw marks in your report.

Oh and say hi to jenny for me.

Cuatnunswlaw08. (non-parody statement)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
boncho90 said:
LOL , actually all your subjects except legal , scale really well.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
LOL , actually all your subjects except legal , scale really well.
i agree your subjects scale shit well, i have no idea what you are complaining about there :p

lionking1191

HSC
concentrate on your weaker subjects, and yeah dropping legal probably would be a good idea. baulko 99.6 would be a top 15 average, so you'll want to get close to top 10.

Dilan1

HSC
Why does it matter what the rest of his school did, isn't the UAI determined by your marks compared to the rest of the year?

microwave

HSC
boncho90 said:

Advanced English 61/~180
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55

aha wat are u on about.

u seem like ur pretty damn smart man.

u can do it.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I'm only in Year 10 but I can tell you that it is possible for you to get a 99.6 You go to a top 3 school and that give you more of a reason to try harder. A predictor cannot tell you what you may really get. You can get higher than that. Just start to improve more in your subjects and you should do fine.

Advanced English 61/~180
4u English 3/50
3U Maths 28/~110
4U Maths 55/~80
Legal Studies 12/25
Economics 23/55
As I said, I'm only in Year 10, but to me, your ranks look awersome, esp in 4U English. You do subjects at a high level as well and it will scale you very high. Good job. Perhaps you should just improve a little on 4U Maths, but it still looks pretty impressive because a rank of 55 in your school will probably be a number 1 in my school :eek:

Cheers and Good luck

boncho90

HSC
Wow, so I'm browsing BoS for tutoring resources and I stumble across this thread I created so long ago :eek:

Just to bring this thread closure, I ended up getting a UAI of 99.65. I remember being so shocked when I found out, because I honestly thought a jump from 98.3 to 99+ was impossible, especially with my 'poor' ranks.

I guess this is a message (..if anybody will ever read it) to HSC students -don't underestimate your ability and second-guess your potential.

In particular, for selective school students, our schools tend to be stricter and estimated marks can grossly deviate from actual marks, perhaps in an attempt to give us something higher to aim for (but in my case, just created more stress and selfdoubt). For example, my school gave me an estimated mark of 83 for english advanced, which made me completely give up on the subject, but I surprisingly ended up with a 95.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my convoluted way - keep in mind that the stressful environment created by the HSC can drastically alter your confidence and perception of your aptitude. You're better than you think you are, and are probably at the level/close to that elusive UAI you seriously doubt you're going to get.

lionking1191

HSC
boncho90 said:
Wow, so I'm browsing BoS for tutoring resources and I stumble across this thread I created so long ago :eek:

Just to bring this thread closure, I ended up getting a UAI of 99.65. I remember being so shocked when I found out, because I honestly thought a jump from 98.3 to 99+ was impossible, especially with my 'poor' ranks.

I guess this is a message (..if anybody will ever read it) to HSC students -don't underestimate your ability and second-guess your potential.

In particular, for selective school students, our schools tend to be stricter and estimated marks can grossly deviate from actual marks, perhaps in an attempt to give us something higher to aim for (but in my case, just created more stress and selfdoubt). For example, my school gave me an estimated mark of 83 for english advanced, which made me completely give up on the subject, but I surprisingly ended up with a 95.

I guess what I'm trying to say in my convoluted way - keep in mind that the stressful environment created by the HSC can drastically alter your confidence and perception of your aptitude. You're better than you think you are, and are probably at the level/close to that elusive UAI you seriously doubt you're going to get.
thats why baulko stopped giving estimates :)

congrats! what are you doing at uni now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)