I'm going to UNSW in 2024 :D (Just some dot points), what can this guy finishing first year give me? (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
For @ExtremelyBoredUser or anyone else who goes to UNSW:

how’s parking at UNSW? Atm, my commute via public transit looks around 1.5 hours so I’m probably gonna drive.
I go by train lmao, you must live close to kensington to be asking that so no idea, i wouldnt go by car but yh u need to ask someone. Campus is big af, explored most parts but im only confident in going to Sci/Math places.

tgone

HSC
For @ExtremelyBoredUser or anyone else who goes to UNSW:

how’s parking at UNSW? Atm, my commute via public transit looks around 1.5 hours so I’m probably gonna drive.
just go Syd at that point (joke). seriously tho, it won't be ideal to drive every time you need to go in. unsw'ers will probably be more educated on this, but I expect the parking situation is pretty similar between syd and nsw, at usyd you can get student parking at like $5/day or something and generally if you arrive early theres spots everywhere-- i do remember driving to unsw open day and being pretty starved for parking tho, obv thats a special case so take it with a grain of salt

Last edited:

tgone

HSC

Attachments

Rattlehead15

HSC
> Form a good social circle (1-2 people) before you got UNSW, it's not hard at all to make friends however at times it can feel hard to when you're in extremely large cohorts (e.g early math/sci/eng cohorts) and/or you're not confident/able to go meet random people and strike up convos (i.e ur social skills is lacking and u should prolly do it if u can).

> r/unsw is pretty good for just communicating early on but try joining society discords such as CSESOC or your respective program's society since there'll be people there to respond to ur qs. There's also great intro posts there more better than this.

> I would personally avoid religious/political societies as to avoid any unnecessary conflict. UNSW is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY overbearing in terms of pushing political agendas to a point of humour however just do know UNSW is a research orientated university and more importantly a business which is influential, the top will always be engaged in taking sides + promoting stuff. Honestly you're overreacting if you think seeing lgbtq+ signs everywhere will prevent you from doing the degree but just do know its like that. Normally idrc but people here really want you to believe a certain thing or act a certain way so you'll get people who will try to engage with you but you'll be fine if you just stay neutral.

> Be aware of cults and other stuff. This is more covered in r/unsw but there seems to be religious cults that operate on UNSW. Just know who you're interacting with in the stalls.

> Join program-related societies, they're similar to BOS in the sense that they have resources and people which will indirectly help you and its free lmao? This is like CSESOC, MathSoc, DataSoc etc... I'm not active in them but engaging in activities early on and joining subcommittees are quick ways to meet new people.

> Try out research projects if you're doing honours program just to get a feel for it. Try out hackathons, try out your own program's "niche", "thing" and so on, it'll be worth it.

> Enjoy. Its not high school. You'll feel like you're repeating the HSC but just know that you're basically in holiday mode but you have a side job that is uni :p I'm saying this in the middle of prorastinating a stupidly annoying group TASK.

> Breaks are very short. Trimesters are crazy. Do not be the dumbass that crams full on, BE CONSISTENT AND ENJOY THE WEEKS AS U CAN AND STUDY PROGRESSIVELY!!

> There'll be people more cracked than you, its UNSW, don't get disheartened.

> You will be disheartened if you're banking on 4u to elevate you above the rest in MATH1141 (cue buzz lightyear meme i forgor meme tempalte)

> Bruh dont buy stuff from UNSW shit is expensive af

> If you buy textbooks, you might be a bot.

> Do not bother other people at the library, go have a convo outside.

> Enjoy your first weeks of lectures, it might be your last if your doing math/comp sci bc u can legit just study the same thing in 10 mins and have the same knowledge. ALTHOUGH some lecs may be important.

> CHOOSE 12 PM CLASSES ETC. WHERE TRAIN LINE IS NOT AS BUSY DO NOT GO 9AM CLASSES THEY SUCK PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!!

> General rule of thumb; 2 terms with 3 courses, 1 term with 2 courses per year for double degree. Avoid doing 3 courses of the same degree type unless you're built diff, usually best to have say 1 math, 2 comp sci etc. or 1 math, 1 gen end, 1 comp sci, it helps you not get burnt out in the program quick.

highly opinionated dont kill me
What are your thoughts on the kensington colleges, might be moving in next year

No surprises

HSC
How do you guys feel about the workload for trimesters tho? compare to semesters uni

No surprises

HSC
dont rlly have it to compare with anything since ive only went to unsw. like anything, youll get used to the pain but not necessarily comfortable haha
So true;-; especially I will be in ADA faculty(without any skills in designing) I think I will probably wanna kms everyday haahha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)