I'm thinking of going on an international exchange (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

If Korean companies are anything similar to Japanese companies (which I'm guessing they are to an extent),then you should also realise the graduate pay there is lower, and there a much more hierarchical system, where you work x amount of years and you might get promoted less then you do really well and get promoted.(it still happens, but you gotta push a lot harder). So note these differences too when considering. Also I've done extensive research on working in Japan, like Ozko said your best bet is really going to work in a international company which has a significant presence there and would allow you to transfer, that's your best means of lending a decent job there without having to work as an English teacher(which has no prospects). Generally speaking English is more of a bonus rather then a deciding factor for the job, you'll be competing with people who have much better marks then you and local work experience. There's also others like you which you need to compete with particularly from America, you won't be the only foreigner looking for a job.

Really pull up your weight if you're considering this,otherwise work here and get lucky transferring.
higly appreciate the advice.

Just back to the original question, would a international student exchange to that country slightly increase my chances of grabbing a job?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: if I go international exchange does that give me high chance of getting a job at

Just back to the original question, would a international student exchange to that country slightly increase my chances of grabbing a job?
No.

Not in respect to Korea, absolutely not.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Try America or china or Japan.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

No.

Not in respect to Korea, absolutely not.
especially with his marks at uni.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

Try America or china or Japan.
Heh good luck getting a job with the awesome unemployment rates in the US. Japan and China has extremely strict immigration policies, in Japan you need to pass a language fluency test in order to get in (kinda like what we have in Aus for english). With China... Yeah I wouldn't want to work there considering the pollution in major cities and industrial areas and unless you get an expat package from Australia going into China... Good luck.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Heh good luck getting a job with the awesome unemployment rates in the US. Japan and China has extremely strict immigration policies, in Japan you need to pass a language fluency test in order to get in (kinda like what we have in Aus for english). With China... Yeah I wouldn't want to work there considering the pollution in major cities and industrial areas and unless you get an expat package from Australia going into China... Good luck.
Please do not leave the best country in the world for America.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Ohh well might as well go anyway to korea for the night life..

At least it wont hinder my employability here in australia. hopefully?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Ohh well might as well go anyway to korea for the night life..

At least it wont hinder my employability here in australia. hopefully?
Focus on improving university scores.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

biggest pessimist Bos.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

biggest pessimist Bos.
No I just understand the work environment in Asia. Long hours, shit pay, highly hierarchical and if you aren't fluent in the native language (hopefully you are since you're korean) you're not gonna have a good time. You're better off staying in aus to work due to the relaxed working environment and higher salary.

Oh and GL dealing with immigration (unless you're a citizen, which means no expat package for you). That's another barrier people don't understand where a company HAS to justify hiring someone overseas vs someone they can employ locally. Can't prove that you REALLY need this guy from Australia? Visa denied, better luck next time.

Work on your uni marks first before even thinking of doing an exchange. Korean universities are HIGHLY competitive. Rankings don't mean shit for undergrad. You do realize the rankings are 90% research based right?

zmccu3

HSC

People on this forum are way too pessimistic. I really doubt most people here have any real clue on getting a job in Korea or anywhere outside of the country for that matter. Hurr durr you cant get a job anywhere without a HD average and a Phd. People can and do, if you really really want to work in SK I'd suggest you do your own research comprised of reliable sources. 90% of the people here giving you advice and telling you what you can and can't do are still in university/high school. Go to Korea if that's what you want to do, not everything has to be a strategic move, exchanges are meant to be enjoyed and to immerse you in another culture, why do you think that it would hinder your chances getting a job anywhere? Seriously lol, there's a crazy amount of brilliance on this forum but an equal lack of common sense.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

People on this forum are way too pessimistic. I really doubt most people here have any real clue on getting a job in Korea or anywhere outside of the country for that matter. Hurr durr you cant get a job anywhere without a HD average and a Phd. People can and do, if you really really want to work in SK I'd suggest you do your own research comprised of reliable sources. 90% of the people here giving you advice and telling you what you can and can't do are still in university/high school. Go to Korea if that's what you want to do, not everything has to be a strategic move, exchanges are meant to be enjoyed and to immerse you in another culture, why do you think that it would hinder your chances getting a job anywhere? Seriously lol, there's a crazy amount of brilliance on this forum but an equal lack of common sense.
No-one actually said this.

zmccu3

HSC

No-one actually said this.
I don't need to go back and site all the negativity but:

"Ohh well might as well go anyway to korea for the night life..

At least it wont hinder my employability here in australia. hopefully?"

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

I think you have to realise that OP's desire for international exchange is premature as it is.

He doesn't have the marks to even qualify for exchange let alone compete in the job market.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Has anyone here been on an study abroad (exchange) program at macquarie??????? cuz...

Has anyone here been on a study abroad (exchange) program at macquarie. So you study 1-2 semesters overseas at another university.

The question I had was that most unis that allow study abroad (exchange) meant that when they came back u with the credit points from that host university it is recorded as "exempt" meaning that it will not affect your gpa/wam.

HOWEVER

at macquarie someone told me that it does count and that they do calculate the marks you got from the host university.

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE? I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE

M

mAsTAR

This is a trivial matter. Worry about it once you've actually got the marks to allow you to go on exchange.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Re: Has anyone here been on an study abroad (exchange) program at macquarie??????? cu

Has anyone here been on a study abroad (exchange) program at macquarie. So you study 1-2 semesters overseas at another university.

The question I had was that most unis that allow study abroad (exchange) meant that when they came back u with the credit points from that host university it is recorded as "exempt" meaning that it will not affect your gpa/wam.

HOWEVER

at macquarie someone told me that it does count and that they do calculate the marks you got from the host university.

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE? I CANT FIND IT ANYWHERE
yes your marks do count

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Re: Has anyone here been on an study abroad (exchange) program at macquarie??????? cu

have u been on exchange there at mq???
No but I know people who've been on intl' exchange from both unsw and mq.

and this thread could have been answered with a simple google

http://students.mq.edu.au/opportunities/student_exchange/how_does_exchange_work/

Upon your return
Submit your transcript from overseas; Macquarie Exchange will convert your grades
So yes your marks DO count.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)