Immigration: Little squares that define the nation (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. Is it entirely possible that at the moment Australia is not in the best position to be encouraging immigration. We have poor infrastructure in Sydney particulary (immigration hotspot that it is), such as water shortages, we have unrest over ethnic crime among other problems.

davin

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
I have nothing against immigration, but I think we are focusing on immigrating too many people from Asia (As racist as that sounds). 50 years back all eurpoeans were allowed in, so their was a good mix of different nationalities, but now that doesnt exist anymore and IMO its almost like we are being flooded with a limited amount of nationalities (Maybe my views are alittle more extreme seeings I live in Bankstown area :D)
how can you call that a good mix, exactly? a mix of europe, perhaps, but have you ever thought about where the population of the world is? Over 1/3 of the world is in India and China alone. Europe, in contrast, is somewhere under the half a billion mark. Of course you're going to have a lot of people from Asia immigrating...there's more Asians, period. Its numbers.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
it's not like the immigration department hasn't thought this through. they are probably allowing immigration for skilled workers and based on previous stories about immigrants who came to this country and worked hard to put back into the community, they are basing their leniency on allowing certain nations over others.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
I have nothing against immigration, but I think we are focusing on immigrating too many people from Asia (As racist as that sounds). 50 years back all eurpoeans were allowed in, so their was a good mix of different nationalities
You mean white people only, as per the white australia policy that existed back then? The majority of the world's population isn't white or European, so no, it wasn't a good 'mix.'

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Well it's hardly a balanced representation of all nationalities and ethnicities. Only those of Europe.

davin

HSC
N/A
TerrbleSpellor said:
Whats your definiation of a good "mix"?
so, its not possible to get a bad mix from europe alone? wouldn't the key be how they decide who they let in if they have a lot of applicants rather than simple colour, ethnicity, etc?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
My problem with what Schoolies was saying that he suggested it was fantastic when we let a majority of Europeans into Australia, because it's a good "mix" whereas letting a large number of Asians is a problem. Why? "Asian" is a broad term that encompasses many nationalities as well.

davin

HSC
N/A
so, what you're saying is, you don't see yourself better than those in the middle east, as far as morals and such go, right?
also, i mean, japan is insanely strict vs pretty much anyone trying to immigrate. if i recall correctly, even if you're ethnically japanese, but born outside japan, its very very difficult to become a citizen of japan.

and....thats a pretty harsh judgement to say on a whole group considering why australia exists and all

davin

HSC
N/A
immigration is often economic
look around the world, immigration happens plenty where people can go from one economy, to a better one. its not purely non-European to European. Parts of Europe don't have the increases in immigration. Also why you have immigration from very poor countries into the surrounding ones....for example, central america into mexico.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
immigration will always be a problem. there's aways going to be a ghetto where those who consider themselves to be repressed or treated unfairly will form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)