Importance of Physics in Optometry? (1 Viewer)

Wonder

HSC
Hey, I was wondering if someone doing Optometry could tell me how important Physics, as assumed knowledge, is in it? I'm interested in taking Optometry, however, I don't think I can fit Physics in my units for the HSC. Any info on this would be really appreciated!

HSC
N/A
Hey, I was wondering if someone doing Optometry could tell me how important Physics, as assumed knowledge, is in it? I'm interested in taking Optometry, however, I don't think I can fit Physics in my units for the HSC. Any info on this would be really appreciated!
not doing optom but ... for the b.optom you need to do Physics 1A. That has assumed knowledge HSC Physics, although the handbook entry for optom only lists HSC Physics as a recommended course. From what people have said in other threads, having done lots of calculus (ie at least MX1) is much more important than having done HSC Physics.

Jonneeh

HSC
not doing optom but ... for the b.optom you need to do Physics 1A. That has assumed knowledge HSC Physics, although the handbook entry for optom only lists HSC Physics as a recommended course. From what people have said in other threads, having done lots of calculus (ie at least MX1) is much more important than having done HSC Physics.
Pretty much.

Physics 1A is a large learning curve compared to HSC physics. HSC adds little advantage anyways, a better understanding of maths would be more advantageous.
Since its a 1st year course they'll teach you from scratch, though theres probably bridging courses you can do.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd imagine so... right? Optics is very much a school of thought ingrained in Physics/mathematics... Not sure how the curriculum is structured for your degree though.

Maoky

HSC
Currently in 3rd yr optometry..hopefully you see this.

Anyway, you'll survive optometry without doing any sciences (I did). HSC Biology would be a big help for the physiology and biology subjects, but like others have said, you'll learn all the basics you need in 1st yr. If you have at least 2 units of maths, then physics should be okay. 3 and 4 unit maths gives you a big advantage in physics (especially in the motion topics).

If you're worried about the optics courses, then they just require very basic maths. All the optics courses are just deriving equations, memorising equations, a lot of similar triangles/trig work, and punching in the numbers. The only tricky bit is figuring out how to draw diagrams to figure out what to do - the rest follows on logically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)