Important advice for all those considering studying engineering next yr (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
Why is engineering disliked so much in this country? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

In other countries it is liked as much as say medicine. In America so many engineers get great jobs every year.

In Australia, people rate simple arts degrees or say BEd better than engineering. Even law, commerce and even fashion designing etc are in demand. But enginnering courses that really involve mathematical brains is so much under-rated. No wonder our Australia is not actually a clever country but a rich country. Clever migrants come here and use their brains to fill up jobs requiring intellect.

Probably all those who actually love maths don't even go for engineering as they end up doing medicine or law (how weird). All they want is a job that gives more money. If Engineers start making as much money as doctors do, then all high UAI people will start going there.

That also means most people who do get admission into engineering courses (at least the ones requiring a UAI or 85 or less), are actually not so bright in maths and physics so they find it hard to cope up with. Engineering syllabus is meant for bright students but is often opted for by average students.

So.....are there students out there who got say top 99 plus UAI last year and the went for some engineering course? There are some engo courses requiring 99 or 98 or 95 ATAR. If so, please share your experiences as probably you are the ones who don't feel miserable for you love maths and physics for the love of it.

Cloesd

HSC
i just logged in and find that 54 replies has jumped to 75, wth??

yeah, sorry i didnt really plan this thread to start a long ranting convo, ppl debating about my degree.
but i cbf replying to everyone, so yeah i'll just leave this for you guys to carry on.
Why don't you just engineer something? Uni not giving enough prac work, go make a railgun or something in your spare time.

-And the workload CAN'T be that hard... how many hours were you in class?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol tbh you're in yr 12 - i personlaly don't find engineering workload that much - but you really shouldn't be saying it CANT be that hard

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Why is engineering disliked so much in this country? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

In other countries it is liked as much as say medicine. In America so many engineers get great jobs every year.

In Australia, people rate simple arts degrees or say BEd better than engineering. Even law, commerce and even fashion designing etc are in demand. But enginnering courses that really involve mathematical brains is so much under-rated. No wonder our Australia is not actually a clever country but a rich country. Clever migrants come here and use their brains to fill up jobs requiring intellect.

Probably all those who actually love maths don't even go for engineering as they end up doing medicine or law (how weird). All they want is a job that gives more money. If Engineers start making as much money as doctors do, then all high UAI people will start going there.

That also means most people who do get admission into engineering courses (at least the ones requiring a UAI or 85 or less), are actually not so bright in maths and physics so they find it hard to cope up with. Engineering syllabus is meant for bright students but is often opted for by average students.

So.....are there students out there who got say top 99 plus UAI last year and the went for some engineering course? There are some engo courses requiring 99 or 98 or 95 ATAR. If so, please share your experiences as probably you are the ones who don't feel miserable for you love maths and physics for the love of it.
That's because pretentious snobs cower in a capitalist society and want to do commerce, commerce, business, business, finance, finance, economics, economics, etc and can't handle tough problems and resort to lighter options.
this video might give a similar idea:

[youtube]1EY7lYRneHc[/youtube]

HSC
Why don't you just engineer something? Uni not giving enough prac work, go make a railgun or something in your spare time.

-And the workload CAN'T be that hard... how many hours were you in class?

....did i say i enjoy or wanted more practical work??
i had like 20-25 hrs a week

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm electing Civil Engineering and perhaps even a combined degree with it :)

I don't care of the workload - it's maths, chemistry and physics all in one! Not to mention ample use of computer technology (which encompasses a love of mine).

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
wow can you kids stop thinking uni is anything like high school.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
that isn't too bad is it? I'm at school for like 35 hours a week.
I'm not sure about UNSW but at MQ for a 100 lvl (first year) subject you're expected to be doing about 3 hours external work for every 1 hour spent in lectures/tutes etc. Most people do about 4 subjects a semester.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Civil Engineering, here i come :D

This thread has made me laughed quite a lot, if only i could give out more rep!

untouchablecuz

HSC
ok one question

UNSW or UTS+one off 12 grand or UWS+20 grand

does UNSW engo outweigh these monetary incentives

(in the off chance that i get offered a scholarship which is unlikely)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
ok one question

UNSW or UTS+one off 12 grand or UWS+20 grand

does UNSW engo outweigh these monetary incentives

(in the off chance that i get offered a scholarship which is unlikely)
Tough choice
For me it would depend on how lazy I am (job-wise)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Tough choice
For me it would depend on how lazy I am (job-wise)
Ahaha, i'd stuff it and go to UNSW because they have the rep and prettier buildings XD

I wouldn't go to UWS for engineering even if it was $20,000 a year....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)