• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Improving my handwriting (1 Viewer)

kpq_sniper017

my handwriting is "messy and not very readable" according to my english teacher. i really need to improve it before the hsc next year. i've started trying to correct it, but what can i do to improve it? the worst thing would be if i went into the exam and had bad handwriting, and lost marks for it. luckily i've still done pretty well at school, but i'm just afraid that hsc examiners will be "stricter" when it comes to legible handwriting.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
i used to have the same problem, you know how i fixed it? i just tried a new style and practiced and practiced and practiced :)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I have exactly the samething with my writing...it starts out alright but then gets worse and worse. For my exams recently i switched to running writing and it majorly helped in english, i rote like booklets and my hand wasnt hurting and it was legible!! So i think u just have to try what works for you. Dont get to stressed about it though, so many of my teachers are hsc markers and theyre like we do everything we can to read it...so if you cant fix it just pray u dont get a EVIL marker!

onigiri

HSC
I had that problem. I fixed it by printing writing and now I'm so used to printing I can't even read my own cursive writing when I look back on my old notes. Even tho printing is primary school stuff, it definitly makes your writing look neater and with more practise you'll learn to print faster, that it becomes just as fast at cursive :D

onigiri

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
I am now out of time to change the style
oh, I blame it on my left-handedness.

I'm left handed too!! When I was young my parents though ohhh in time you'll change to writing with your right hand. But by 6 I still used my left hand so they forced me to write with my right hand :( And you know what? Now I can use both hands but I actually do prefer using my left hand. I have a stronger grip.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
My hand-writing has been the bane of my teachers since year 4.

However, my maths symbols and operators, and Greek letters are surprisingly neater and more legible than anybody else's in the class.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
my writing is horrendous...after writing for four pages my hand starts to shake slightly (grr @ computer usage) and i can't even read wtf ive written.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i think im the only girl in my grade that has the most shittest and messiest hand writing.
my business teachers mentions my name when he marks our work.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Once my english teacher (who was a bitch, thank god i dont have her now) said looking at my writing (my old writing) made her head hurt :p

kpq_sniper017

heh.
my teachers can probably recognise my essays etc from my handwriting...we're meant to have 10-digit student numbers, but i guess my handwriting defeats the purpose of those. like many others, my writing is reasonable at the beginning of an extended response, but then it just gets out of whack by the 3rd line :)

L_RES88

HSC
N/A
Buy a stencil or get one of those books which make u write over the dotted lines.

or write "go pats" if bernie is marking it.

Kulazzi

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
I am now out of time to change the style
oh, I blame it on my left-handedness.
I totally agree. I'm left-handed and even though i running-write my tecaher said its messy and not legible. And every time I try to do it neatly, i just doesn't work out. And when I print, it kinda hurts my hand. Gotta think of something quick...........:(

waterfowl

HSC
I think everyones handwriting is horrible, especially in exams.
It's a good idea to try and improve on it, but in exams as long as the marker can get what the words are it should be all good. If you take a look at some of the exemplars in the standards refernce packages some of the band 6 responses have shocking handwriting!

funniboi

HSC
yeah my handwritting is pretty bad too

my teacher told me to ask if i can use a laptop to do my hsc
LOL!!

edit; i never got a pen licences either in primary school :( :(

my year6 teacher told me off for using pencil and said why aint u using pen
and yeah, started to use pen from that day LOL!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
hmmm i've got naturally neat writing. I was the first person in the grade in year 3 to get a pen license! lol.

I find that whilst i write quite neat in exams, it really depends on the type of pen i have. I got this new one called Dr Grip by Pilot (though it cost $15) and it requires less grip, money back guarrantee, so i can write more without my hand getting sore, meaning it's neater. I also found in the half yearly's i had a pen which totally flowed, and because it wrote so easily i wrote better.

So if you're out of time and desperate, play around with different pens and different grips... it might make that little bit of difference.

Alternatively, if you still have the time, there's a coaching clinic in Hornsby which deals with handwriting. They look at the way you sit, the pen you use, the grip you use etc and fix it up. They're supposed to work miracles, however are quite expensive. (i don't know what they're called or their phone number or anythign - might have to ask around. I heard about it from my english teacher.)

Good luck!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
don't cramp your hand up too much, hold your pen more loosely and relaxed, don't squash your writing - try and make it more spaced apart, if your hand is cold it's harder to write and a good pen can make all the difference - if you get a pen you enjoy writing with you tend to write more neatly

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
my handwriting isn't messy, but it's way too small.....I've tried writing bigger but then it just gets decreasingly smaller as I go. Maybe it's something to do with being short sighted, it looks big to me but small to everyone else. :S

Get one of those exercise books - I know they had them at chinese school surry hills, they have four lines for you to write words in. did I make sense? oh and write heaps, don't type your assignments/summaries/whatever if you can help it. kay well good luck :)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
kochou said:
Write slower, don't use running writing..
might not be such a good idea cos printing makes writing ALOT slower...

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i've got ok-ish writing....
i print, but it turns a bit cursive afta a while.....ie. some letters r joined 2getha, othas rnt
i cant straight print, or straight running write......its weird, but im not complaining

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)