• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

improving your english (1 Viewer)

cl3nta

HSC
I'm a b6 student and probs top3 at my school. I was looking at my friend's work (who's topping) and his expression is just amazing. He has verbiage, clarity, ideas - the lot. My response is still solid but I want to improve my articulation. How?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
cl3nta said:
I'm a b6 student and probs top3 at my school. I was looking at my friend's work (who's topping) and his expression is just amazing. He has verbiage, clarity, ideas - the lot. My response is still solid but I want to improve my articulation. How?
Increase your grammar ..

If you want to avoid using the same word but wish to use a different word with the same meaning throughout your extended responses, check out http://thesaurus.reference.com ... Look at people's writing ... See how you can use their writing to benefit your own, avoid plaigarising by comparing to other texts or exam responses ...

Or chuck yourself down to English Standard if you can't take Advanced anymore ...

cl3nta

HSC
lol haha

I think i'm just gonna keep practising until I get 1st rank

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
read books. and not trashy ones like michael crichton or john grisham and stuff like that, but classics.

Having a good writing style is half the battle with english, because it means that even if you havent studied you can waffle and it sounds good.

kloudsurfer

HSC
I was in the exact situation as you.

My advice is to read essays. My brother told me to do it, and it definelty works. Any essays you can find, as long as they are good ones. Anything you can find that is better than yours. I find reading other students essays (like your friends) is helpful. Also, read essays about literature, even if it is not about what you are studying in English. There are lots of good shakepeare that you can find even on the internet. If you like history, read history essays. Do a google search and if you look hard enough you can find plenty of good ones.

This way you can see how these writers structure their essays and organise their ideas, and what their general style is. If you read them enough, your essays will improve without you even noticing.

Also, just reading in general, fiction and non fiction books, helps to develop your vocabulary. Challenging books in particular, not just Harry Potter. Like the above poster said, classics are great because they are usually more challenging.

HSC
N/A
Things can be clear, but simple. It's good to want to get better at articulating yourself, but PLEASE (this goes to everyone) don't fall into the trap of thinking that fancy multisyllable words - ie reading a thesaurus - makes you look any smarter. It just gives the marker a headache.

This aside, not just reading, but writing itself is very useful for improving your articulation. After a few times when you have a better grasp of what you're trying to say, you'll have a better feel for what looks more polished. You've got a year before your HSC - make the most of it :)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
I agree with ianc, read more, and you`ll slowly begin to incorporate the use of language of the authors` into your own writing. It worked for me at least - my syntax and vocabulary used to be terrible.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Basically you need three things for extended responses in the english advanced course (because there are multiple text types such as speeches, interviews and the like)

1) Techniques

2) Its effect specific to text type (i.e. if it is a poem focus on the rhythm and rhyme rather than something 'generic' such as similes and metaphors)

3) Linking it back to your question, thesis and the focus (i.e. journeys, powerplay, feminist discourse theory in module b)

The last one is the most difficult and depending on how subtly and succintly you do this can make or break you.

Also the last thing is the impression mark which comes across in your spelling, syntax, vocabulary and tone. Of course you shouldn't need to force yourself to use say 'pusillanimous' when a simple 'cowardly' will suffice, but variety in language is the spice of life. As long as your sentences still flow and the marker doesn't need to stop and pause in order to gauge what the meaning of the word could be (if you use varied but technical vocabulary, the meaning should be clear as the context is specific) then you should be fine :)

As a final note, english is very subjective so following any formulae you find on this site, from your tutors and even hsc markers will not guarantee 100% all the time. Be wary of this, don't think sour grapes and just maintain wide reading. Find ways to to improve your own work and style; that means don't emulate others who might have scored higher but whose style of writing is quite disparate from your own because you'll find it difficult to adapt to this come exam time.

Good luck :)

kloudsurfer

HSC
bobness said:
1) Techniques

2) Its effect specific to text type (i.e. if it is a poem focus on the rhythm and rhyme rather than something 'generic' such as similes and metaphors)

3) Linking it back to your question, thesis and the focus (i.e. journeys, powerplay, feminist discourse theory in module
Don't forget an example. Backing up everything you say with textual evidence is essential.

HSC
N/A
For an additional 2 cents, "answering the question" should ALWAYS be at the top of the list.

It doesn't matter what language you use, how many techniques you've listed, and how "smooth" your writing is. If you don't learn to answer the question (supported by examples and techniques et al) then you are more or less screwed. :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
kloudsurfer said:
Don't forget an example. Backing up everything you say with textual evidence is essential.
Yeah with techniques that's almost a given i.e. truism. If you want to be pedantic stick in 'textual evidence' before techniques but seriously who uses techniques without textual evidence first :confused: And yes good things come in 3 pfft i'm not giving textual evidence it's own number.

An e.g. the alliterative assertion "wander where they will" highlights the ephemeral nature of youth in Yeats' egotistical sublime.

There's techniques, its effect and linking it back to the 2006 HSC Module B question (age and youth).

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Bobness said:
Yeah with techniques that's almost a given i.e. truism. If you want to be pedantic stick in 'textual evidence' before techniques but seriously who uses techniques without textual evidence first :confused: And yes good things come in 3 pfft i'm not giving textual evidence it's own number.

An e.g. the alliterative assertion "wander where they will" highlights the ephemeral nature of youth in Yeats' egotistical sublime.

There's techniques, its effect and linking it back to the 2006 HSC Module B question (age and youth).
Wow, you're good.

hannahxxx

HSC
Hmmm....it seems like you're madly grabbing for any excuse as to why this guy's beating you. Trying to justify it by saying he's naturally smarter than you isn't the way to go. No offense but you've gotta realize that verbosity isn't gonna get you a better mark! The marker's will (bless them) realize that you're merely making exactly the same point(but in different words).

Perhaps if you re-analyzed the text/s? A very meaty, sophisticated analysis will get you the full marks your looking for-it worked for me. Halfway through the year I overtook the guy who was coming first (my god did it feel good to rub his face in it too-he's a pompous asshole).

I'd say what you really need to do is pester the teacher/s about it.
If they know how to do their job they'll be able to tell you straight out what the difference between his and yours is. The key is to pester pester pester!

I say avoid nominalization and verbosity- trying to push out a number of polysyllabic words in a 40 min time period is stupid when you could be making a completely new point instead.

However, if you're still hell bent on tuning up the ol' vocab there's a number of psychometric vocabulary tests sitting around unloved in google search engines- e.g:
http://www.psychometric-success.com...al Ability - Word Meaning Practice Test 1.pdf

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)