In the UMAT..... (1 Viewer)

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Is it purely based of intelligence? ie if a person with an IQ of 150 will have a higher score than a person with an IQ of 120?
Or is it just practice practice practice....

hayabusaboston

HSC
Is it purely based of intelligence? ie if a person with an IQ of 150 will have a higher score than a person with an IQ of 120?
Or is it just practice practice practice....
IQ plays a large part for certain, but practicing all other sections will give you a much greater chance of passing regardless of your score on the reasoning test.

michaeljennings

HSC
IQ plays a large part for certain, but practicing all other sections will give you a much greater chance of passing regardless of your score on the reasoning test.
A guy at my school had been practicing UMAT since Year 9 and he got like 60th percentile or something like that

kfnmpah

HSC
people with an IQ of 150 are most likely aspies who won't do very well in the "understanding people" section

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
^^^That's a gross generalisation.

Honestly its a bit of both, intellect is a given if you're applying for a course requiring the UMAT but a bit of prep goes a long way.

russ3l

HSC
So how do the people who get really good in the umat...do it?

Jayes

HSC
Hey guys, what would be a solid raw score to receive an interview offer?

Thanks!

hayabusaboston

HSC
well its a percentile against others, so 60 plus isnt too good obviously. You would need in the high 80's and up to be considered good enough

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
60 as a raw score (which is the average of all the sections) is quite good, you are already up there in the 90 most probably. But you need to remember that scaling from raw mark -> percentile changes every year with each cohort depending on the cohorts overall ability e.g. my raw score in 2010 was 58 which was a 93% but it would have been a lower percentile in 2011 I think.

Something else to note is that different unis place certain emphasis on different sections. E.g. UWS weighs the umat sections as 1:1:0.5. This means: S1 raw + S2 raw + half of S3 raw = aggregate. UWS then chooses their interviewees from this score.

Back to the OP's first question, yes the UMAT is about interpersonal and mental intelligence but if I could do it again I would have practiced more on Section 3. It is by far the easiest section to improve on as you develop ways of identifying patterns to such a degree that it can become easy and less time consuming. If you want to improve your umat, I would hedge my bets on Section 3 giving you the most improvement.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
is that hard to achieve?...what score did u get? :)
Not really.
I didn't do that much practice and I failed a section (48 in S2 :rage:) and I got 55.

well its a percentile against others, so 60 plus isnt too good obviously. You would need in the high 80's and up to be considered good enough
No... 60 would be the raw score and the percentile would be 88+ Please learn how shit works.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
60 as a raw score (which is the average of all the sections) is quite good, you are already up there in the 90 most probably. But you need to remember that scaling from raw mark -> percentile changes every year with each cohort depending on the cohorts overall ability e.g. my raw score in 2010 was 58 which was a 93% but it would have been a lower percentile in 2011 I think.

Something else to note is that different unis place certain emphasis on different sections. E.g. UWS weighs the umat sections as 1:1:0.5. This means: S1 raw + S2 raw + half of S3 raw = aggregate. UWS then chooses their interviewees from this score.

Back to the OP's first question, yes the UMAT is about interpersonal and mental intelligence but if I could do it again I would have practiced more on Section 3. It is by far the easiest section to improve on as you develop ways of identifying patterns to such a degree that it can become easy and less time consuming. If you want to improve your umat, I would hedge my bets on Section 3 giving you the most improvement.
Da fark? I got 55 and was in the 69th percentile.
Candidates must be getting smarter because S2 was definitely harder.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
is that hard to achieve?...what score did u get? :)
not really, but there is a small element of luck associated with the UMAT since the scaling can be pretty harsh.

i sat it in 2006 and got 73 raw (100th percentile)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)