In Year 12, will I be allowed to take up Extension 2 Math if I didn't do the Ext 1? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: In Year 12, will I be allowed to take up Extension 2 Math if I didn't do the Ext

OP everyone is lying to you. It is definitely possible to pick up MX2 in Yr11 without doing MX1.

Disclaimer: Only if you're the God of Maths :tongue2:

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: In Year 12, will I be allowed to take up Extension 2 Math if I didn't do the Ext

Not even then, they wont let you.

jnney

lemon
HSC

I will give you an idea of the structure of the Mathematics courses in the next two years.

There are four Mathematics courses you can do. General Mathematics, Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2.

You are in Year 10 at the moment, delicious. I mean let's say you are in Year 11 now and if you pick Mathematics you will only be doing that subject. You will not be doing any other Mathematics courses.

If you do Mathematics Extension 1 however, you MUST be in a Mathematics class. Since Mathematics Extension 1 is worth (1 unit) [In Preliminary] and Mathematics is worth (2 units) We call it altogether 3 Unit Mathematics.

Now you are in Year 12. To get entry into Year 12 Mathematics courses, you MUST complete the corresponding Year 11 Mathematics courses.

Now, same goes, if you do Extension 1, you MUST be in a Mathematics class. Since Mathematics Extension 1 is worth (1 unit) and Mathematics is worth (2 units). We call it altogether 3 Unit Mathematics.

HOWEVER! If you decided to do Mathematics Extension 2. You MUST be in a Mathematics Extension 1 class! Mathematics Extension 1 is worth 2 units now and Mathematics Extension 2 is worth 2 units. Hence that is why it is called 4 Unit Mathematics.
Like.

turbomedi343

HSC

no its not possible

you must know some 3u concepts in order to do 4u

oyuck

HSC

What spiralflex said is completely correct! Note that there is no Mathematics Extension 2 preliminary course - you need only do maths ext 1 and mathematics in year 11, then swap the Mathematics course for Mathematics Ext 2 once you being your HSC year - in term 4 2011 or term 1 2012, depending on your school

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

What spiralflex said is completely correct! Note that there is no Mathematics Extension 2 preliminary course - you need only do maths ext 1 and mathematics in year 11, then swap the Mathematics course for Mathematics Ext 2 once you being your HSC year - in term 4 2011 or term 1 2012, depending on your school
Saying you swap Mathematics for Extension 2 is incorrect. You still have to do everything in the Mathematics course, you just don't sit the final HSC exam (and in a lot of schools you won't do assessments for 2U for the HSC).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Saying you swap Mathematics for Extension 2 is incorrect. You still have to do everything in the Mathematics course, you just don't sit the final HSC exam (and in a lot of schools you won't do assessments for 2U for the HSC).
My school made me finally choose between MX2 or Mathematics at Trials - I had to do all the assessments before then.

If I recall correctly, the Head of Secondary approached me before the 2u/general/MX2 trial exam and asked me what mathematics I was going to do - and that's when MX2 was officially "locked" in for me.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

My school made me finally choose between MX2 or Mathematics at Trials - I had to do all the assessments before then.

If I recall correctly, the Head of Secondary approached me before the 2u/general/MX2 trial exam and asked me what mathematics I was going to do - and that's when MX2 was officially "locked" in for me.
Different to mine. We were supposed to do the first 2U exam (I never ended up doing it because I was sick for a while there), and then that was it. The other 2 people doing MX2 with me only have 10 units though, so they have no option to drop, and I always intended to stick with it anyway.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

I will give you an idea of the structure of the Mathematics courses in the next two years.

There are four Mathematics courses you can do. General Mathematics, Mathematics, Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2.

You are in Year 10 at the moment, delicious. I mean let's say you are in Year 11 now and if you pick Mathematics you will only be doing that subject. You will not be doing any other Mathematics courses.

If you do Mathematics Extension 1 however, you MUST be in a Mathematics class. Since Mathematics Extension 1 is worth (1 unit) [In Preliminary] and Mathematics is worth (2 units) We call it altogether 3 Unit Mathematics.

Now you are in Year 12. To get entry into Year 12 Mathematics courses, you MUST complete the corresponding Year 11 Mathematics courses.

Now, same goes, if you do Extension 1, you MUST be in a Mathematics class. Since Mathematics Extension 1 is worth (1 unit) and Mathematics is worth (2 units). We call it altogether 3 Unit Mathematics.

HOWEVER! If you decided to do Mathematics Extension 2. You MUST be in a Mathematics Extension 1 class! Mathematics Extension 1 is worth 2 units now and Mathematics Extension 2 is worth 2 units. Hence that is why it is called 4 Unit Mathematics.
lol overkill

nnarsey

Gandhi
HSC

Actually MX1 is equal to 1 unit and MX2 is equal to 1 unit, forming 2 Units. Those 2 units are put on top of Mathematics (2U) to make 4 Units. However you do not attend Mathematics (2U) classes but get 100% for Mathematics (2U) without doing shit.

powlmao

Banned
HSC

Actually MX1 is equal to 1 unit and MX2 is equal to 1 unit, forming 2 Units. Those 2 units are put on top of Mathematics (2U) to make 4 Units. However you do not attend Mathematics (2U) classes but get 100% for Mathematics (2U) without doing shit.
You get 100% for 2U if you do 4U?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

You berk

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

My maths teacher described it as a "conceded [but unreported] Band 6" as they assume you would've gotten a Band 6 anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)