independent paper 05 (1 Viewer)

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
IMO, hard chem papers are ones which disguises mega 1-page-answer questions as a one-liner, such as assess the importance of monitoring the Haber reaction vessel. In this question, you can't just answer it! You need to go through definitions, equilibrium reactions, equations, explanations of methods, factors affecting equilibrium etc etc ... before you can make a judgement.

It's with these questions that people often miss a thing or two that they didn't think was relevant, and end up losing marks.

Well, as far as I'm concerned that's the main problem. They can't ask you what's not in the syllabus, so if you know the syllabus back to front you're guaranteed band 6 as long as you write as much as you can for those dickhead questions.

Pace_T

HSC
The exam had many ambiguous questions. There were many other questions that seemed totally out of the syllabus.
I didn't go that well, although I looked at the 2004 independent paper and that was oh so much easier. I am yet to look at other independent papers to see if it was just this year's that was very difficult.

And dreamerish, it's kind of easy to tell if you are required a '1-page-answer' by looking at the allocated marks and space provided. It sounds to me like you haven't seen the exam. It was VERY hard, lol.

Jeeeb

Example of a question from the paper would be when they spent a page or so on the chemistry of and a comparison between the lead acid cell and the Sodium Sulphur cell (Don't have paper on hand for exact questions) unfourtunantly for me I had studied the dry cell and fuel cell :( although I only lost 2 marks on that so it wasn't to bad. There were also some difficult to get equations .etc. But overall it wasn't that difficult I did the paper with an hour to spair and got 71%. For comparison I did the catholic paper under basically the same conditions and got 80%. (Note to self: slow down and plan answers for HSC :p).

Edit: Probably would have got 84% on Catholic except I had to skip a practical we hadn't done when I did the catholic.

Last edited:

Libbster

HSC
Our indepedent paper turned up after we did the chem exam :p However our chem teacher is still photocopying it so we can use it as practice. So once I get it i'll post it up if I'm allowed to. (It's not copyrighted like CSSA is it??)

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Libbster said:
Our indepedent paper turned up after we did the chem exam :p However our chem teacher is still photocopying it so we can use it as practice.
Same with me! After reading over it, I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

Numero Uno

HSC
Yeah i just got myself a copy , twas a pretty gay exam
some of those core questions were plain bs especially the polymer one ,
options were ok though

Im glad i did the CSSA paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)