Industrial chemistry practicals (1 Viewer)

tazzyboys

HSC
Anyone have resources or websites that list and explain these pracs.
I haven't done any or seen the equipment, so pictures would help
I believe there's a practical for one of each 6 sections.

Otherwise if anyones up to it, can yu please list the experiments, equipt, cautions etc. Thanks!!

danz90

HSC
1+2. Equilibrium: I believe there is a prac using pipettes and water (changing water levels) to simulate equilibrium. Also, we carried out an experiment using NO2 gas in the equilibrium reaction: 2NO2 <-> N2O4. We tested the effect of temperature on the equilibrium, as well as pressure.

3. Sulfuric Acid: We did the oxidation of Copper with 98% concentrated H2SO4, to show sulfuric acid as an oxidising agent. And, we added conc. H2SO4 to sucrose (sugar) to test it as a dehydrating agent.

4. Electrolysis of NaCl: We did electrolyse a saturated brine solution - testing for products such as Cl2(g), H2(g) and the production of OH- ions.

5. Saponification: We made a soap in the lab, using coconut oil and sodium hydroxide. It's a fairly lengthy prac to get into details for.

6. Solvay Process: We carbonated (bubbled CO2 through) ammoniacal brine solution, producing NaHCO3... we put the solutions in the fridge so that the NaHCO3 becomes insoluble. We decanted the solution.. and tested the NaHCO3 by pouring some HCl onto the solid... bubbling confirmed that it was NaHCO3. We didn't actually bother to heat/decompose the NaHCO3 into Na2CO3.

tazzyboys

HSC
Hey thanks for the info
Mmm is there a website that gives out all the info becos I wouldnt have a clue of the equip, procedure etc.

thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)