Industrial Technology Scaling Help! (1 Viewer)

JSchaefer

HSC
i am currently doing industrial technology, and am now told its a b scaled subject. Unlike my extension mat which is like 40 something to do with scaling, Industrial tech is like 15, average is 25. does this mean my industrial tech hsc mark will be scaled down heaps. Im averaging 97% in industrial tech now and have always, but if i get that in the hsc will it drop my uAI heaps or what. Help please!?!?:confused:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JSchaefer said:
i am currently doing industrial technology, and am now told its a b scaled subject. Unlike my extension mat which is like 40 something to do with scaling, Industrial tech is like 15, average is 25. does this mean my industrial tech hsc mark will be scaled down heaps. Im averaging 97% in industrial tech now and have always, but if i get that in the hsc will it drop my uAI heaps or what. Help please!?!?:confused:
You seem to have an excellent knowledge in regards to its scaling. Unfortunately, the scaling system works against you in Industrial Tehnology. Even if you come top in the state for Industrial Technology, what you receive as your scaled mark will be about 40/50 = 80/100.

However, you should consider whether you are better off dropping it or not. It may benefit your UAI (depending on what you get in IT).

JSchaefer

HSC
lyounamu said:
You seem to have an excellent knowledge in regards to its scaling. Unfortunately, the scaling system works against you in Industrial Tehnology. Even if you come top in the state for Industrial Technology, what you receive as your scaled mark will be about 40/50 = 80/100.

However, you should consider whether you are better off dropping it or not. It may benefit your UAI (depending on what you get in IT).
How can it possibly benefit my uai with such crappy scaling?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JSchaefer said:
How can it possibly benefit my uai with such crappy scaling?
Well, if you get like 98 or 97 in HSC, you will get about 78/100 scaled mark. 78/100 scaled mark itself is not a bad mark at all. It is quite possible that it can be counted as your UAI.

JSchaefer

HSC
lyounamu said:
Well, if you get like 98 or 97 in HSC, you will get about 78/100 scaled mark. 78/100 scaled mark itself is not a bad mark at all. It is quite possible that it can be counted as your UAI.
Right, and seeing i will be doing 12 units, if IT is my worst, it wont count anyway? or if i do really bad in something else i will have that good mark to fall on? is that what your saying. But if i get good in IT, and good in everything else but better in say IT than chemistry, will the scaling still make IT the wors or will chemistry be bumped by IT after scaling?

i was playin round with sam. If i get base 80 in all subjects my UAI will be 86.22 or something. If i flunked IT, and got say 70 my UAI did not change, However if i scored a 95 in IT my uai went to 88.5. i found that It did not change my UAI at all until i scored 90 ish, is this because of scaling, and i f all my subjects score 80 with the exception of say physics, my UAI went down? because IT was counted instead and got scaled down? So if i choose this, it will bump my UAI down, and will not be worth it unless i get into the 90's. Am i on the right track? does SAM acount for scaling?

NOTE: If i put 97 for IT into sam, does this mean the scaled mark, or does it scale it to 75 automatically or should i input 75?

Just another thing i noticed, if all my subjects are 80 except say MX1 is 60, IT still does nto count towards my UAI. And is still 85 ish.
So all in all, is IT going to help, or drop my UAI if i do well in all subjects, or not make any differernce?

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JSchaefer said:
Right, and seeing i will be doing 12 units, if IT is my worst, it wont count anyway? or if i do really bad in something else i will have that good mark to fall on? is that what your saying. But if i get good in IT, and good in everything else but better in say IT than chemistry, will the scaling still make IT the wors or will chemistry be bumped by IT after scaling?
If IT yields the worst scaled mark, it won't count towards your UAI anyway.
And that's basically what I am saying. Say you got 84 in Chemistry and you got 98 in IT. 98 in IT has got better scaled mark so it will count as your UAI over Chemistry. If you get more than 85 in Chemistry, Chemistry's scaled mark is higher than whatever you get in IT (even if you TOP the state).

JSchaefer

HSC
lyounamu said:
If IT yields the worst scaled mark, it won't count towards your UAI anyway.
And that's basically what I am saying. Say you got 84 in Chemistry and you got 98 in IT. 98 in IT has got better scaled mark so it will count as your UAI over Chemistry. If you get more than 85 in Chemistry, Chemistry's scaled mark is higher than whatever you get in IT (even if you TOP the state).
So if im good at IT, go for it eh? because if u do well it will only help. On sam, i put in the results i think i will get, and my UAi is 90.45, better than i thought. On the side there is scaling aggrete 375.1 and the pie chart sayin number. Are they my scaled marks? If im good at IT, should i do the 12 units and just go for it? because it will either not count, or make my UAi go up? or am i wrong?

And thank you for the quick reply

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JSchaefer said:
So if im good at IT, go for it eh? because if u do well it will only help. On sam, i put in the results i think i will get, and my UAi is 90.45, better than i thought. On the side there is scaling aggrete 375.1 and the pie chart sayin number. Are they my scaled marks? If im good at IT, should i do the 12 units and just go for it? because it will either not count, or make my UAi go up? or am i wrong?

And thank you for the quick reply
Yeah. However, if you are still unsure, let's put it this way - if you care confident that you can get over 85 in all your subjects, you would be much better off without IT (as 85 in your subjects will yield higher scaled mark).

Aggregate is the total scaled mark out of 500. I think you can come first in the state which will give you about scaled mak of 80/100 which will benefit your UAI (quite likely). Some people may disagree with my point of view but you would be better off going with all your subjects (i.e. 12 units) rather than 10 units of subjects that you are not entirely sure about.

JSchaefer

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah. However, if you are still unsure, let's put it this way - if you care confident that you can get over 85 in all your subjects, you would be much better off without IT (as 85 in your subjects will yield higher scaled mark).

Aggregate is the total scaled mark out of 500. I think you can come first in the state which will give you about scaled mak of 80/100 which will benefit your UAI (quite likely). Some people may disagree with my point of view but you would be better off going with all your subjects (i.e. 12 units) rather than 10 units of subjects that you are not entirely sure about.
thanks again for the speedy reply. After some more playin with sam, i have found that, if i do good in IT, it will benefit my UAI and count towards it. Thats a plus, but if i get a lower mark, say 80 or 75 in IT it will not count towards my uai thus not affecting it at all. Leaving it to the other 10 subjects. so seriously, if i have the 12 subjects and do wel in it it will do good, but if i drop it and have 10 i have no safe fall, i mean if i flunk it it will just count the other 10 units anyway and so im better off doing it am i right, because only having 10 units will mean i have like 1 chance u know what im getting at? Just incase i dont get over 85 in other subjects, IT will benefit more than the others if i do well in it?

osamaelias

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
osamaelias said:
me121 said:
osamaelias said:
me121 said:
However I cannot stress enough, it is not the subject that causes the scaling. I used to have the view that some uni people look at the course and see how hard it is and then decide how much it scales. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! The scaling of a course solely depends on how the students in that course go. Industrial Technology scales so bad because the people who choose Industrial Technology generally do poor in all their other subjects (in terms of the other subjects scaled marks).
Hey man , that was one of your previous messages in one of your posts.

I talked to my career advicer about ITT , and he is like if you like the subject and can get good well in it. Then take it.

I have a UAI aim of 96+. So i was just wondering what your thoughts are with it , scaling etc. Because i really do not know lol :confused: .

This year i take Chemistry , Biology , ITT, 3 Unit math , English.

Thanks brother.
It really depends on how good you can do in ITT. In 2007 the highest UAI of a person that did Industrial Technology was 98.30 (all the industries are scaled the same so its not the case that just say timber is any better or worse than multimedia or graphics).

So it is possible to get 96+ with ITT, but you will need to score pretty good marks in ITT along with good marks in your other subjects.

I strongly suggest you play around with SAM, but some marks in and see what it says your UAI would have been for 2005. That way you can see what kind of marks you would need to get for the UAI you want.

For example in 2007 in Industrial Technology a HSC mark of 90 is equivalent to a 75 in Mathematics (i.e. they would both contribute the same to your UAI). Similarly a HSC mark of 99 in IT was equivalent to about 88 in Mathematics.

Now, is it alright with you if I post your question and my answer in the thread where you quoted me, so that others can read my response too?
Yes yes , sure brother , thank you for your help.
Just another note , is it possibl to get 99 UAI , with ITT ?
Because i hope next year i take 4Unit math , i thought maybe it can help me abit :vcross:
Well yes, and no. You see scaling varies year to year, so its impossible to say what it will do the next year. Although if you look at the trends it doesn't vary very much.

Here is a list of the highest UAI of a person that did Industrial Technology:
2007 => 98.30
2006 => 96.45
2005 => 98.00
2004 => 99.50
2003 => ??
2002 => 98.40
2001 => ??

Now this is not the highest possible UAI, it is just the best that anyone could do. That's not to say that you could do better.

Its hard to say, but enter some marks into SAM and see what UAI you would get with certain marks.

My 2007 UAI was 91.30 with the following marks,
Chem 84
English Std 73
Ind Tech 95
Math 94
Math Ex1 47/50
Phys 89

But I also did Eng Std with a crap mark, so it scaled bad as well. Also my marks were kinda ordinary as well.

Just type some marks into SAM and see.
Here that was a message i sent to the mod above ;) ive had harder and more indepth questions aswell , decided to drop it next year. Leave it at 10 Units better.

L

lsam

JSchaefer said:
thanks again for the speedy reply. After some more playin with sam, i have found that, if i do good in IT, it will benefit my UAI and count towards it. Thats a plus, but if i get a lower mark, say 80 or 75 in IT it will not count towards my uai thus not affecting it at all. Leaving it to the other 10 subjects. so seriously, if i have the 12 subjects and do wel in it it will do good, but if i drop it and have 10 i have no safe fall, i mean if i flunk it it will just count the other 10 units anyway and so im better off doing it am i right, because only having 10 units will mean i have like 1 chance u know what im getting at? Just incase i dont get over 85 in other subjects, IT will benefit more than the others if i do well in it?
You should drop the one that you have the least confidence in.

Apart from that, I suggest you continue with 12 units.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
osamaelias said:
Here that was a message i sent to the mod above ;) ive had harder and more indepth questions aswell , decided to drop it next year. Leave it at 10 Units better.
That is one confusing quote.

JSchaefer

HSC
lsam said:
You should drop the one that you have the least confidence in.

Apart from that, I suggest you continue with 12 units.
Thank you, i will stay with 12, like i said b4 only 10 best count so if it will be less, it will not be counted, and besides, i like it, and its a break from my other subjects:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)