Influences of ranking and school (1 Viewer)

worriedman

HSC
Hello

I was just wondering, if one goes to a low-ranking school, but the student is extremely academically good, will it have a negative effect on the student?

for example, a student is ranked first in 4u maths, 3u maths, chemistry, physics, latin, latin ext, in his/her school, AND the student is one of the top students compared to the state, but his/her school is low-ranked and the other students do bad, will it have a negative effect on the good students UAI?

please answer!!1

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
When your ranked first how those around you perform isn't a worry.

You only need to worry if everyone does significantly worse in the HSC than they have in their internals.

because that can affect the scailing of your internals.

atleast that is my understanding.

Last edited:

worriedman

HSC
are you sure? i mean 100%?

i got to be sure. anyone know for sure?

ilwkh

HSC
r u serious no way it will matter considering how good ur doing and how high these marks r. an adviser of the bos came to our school and i asked her ur question n her response was NO WAY so dont worry. im 100% sure cause even a girl in my school got a uai of 96.85 and our school's rank in terms of overall academic is in da 500s. just kill it in the HSC and dont worry

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
Nop, when ur ranked first, your externals marks are your internals

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you're first, the others around you don't affect you at all. You get what you get, and usually you'll get the highest external mark (in most cases i.e.) coupled with the highest internal mark. Its only those in the middle that are really affected if the performance of the cohort isn't that good.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
In short, not really no as long as you rank high and have a decent cohort.

My schools ranked 646th. Or 464th, don't remember. Anyways, its low
Every year we get a handful of 90+ UAIs. And considering most of our year 12 groups never have more than 70 kids, a handful or so is alot.
Last years dux was 96.something
I'm hoping for 94+

runnable

HSC
Your school's rank (cohort ability) will not influence you if you are ranked first in everything. Truth.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Your school rank has no effect at all anyways.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Exactly, its just an indicator of how the grade previous to yours performed in comparison to the state.
Last years group at my school were shockers except for maybe 3.
This year my grade has a good 30 kids who are incrediably gifted.

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
the aforementioned is all true...the system is designed to award all thoose regardless of schools rank e.t.c

and lyk...it seems to me that u are highly motivated...and that the "limited" resources will not hav an impact on you?....see when people post up threads lyk this...and THEIR ARE LOTS!!...its always the qauntative measure...i think they forget the qualatative...and sometimes...its just that a skewl has poorer teachers...and poorer resources...BUT HEY IM NOT DISCRIMINATING...just a trend...yet...what i hav seen is that that is added motivation...

so dont worry and take it ezy

p.s. forgive my poor spelling and over use of elipses...i dnt care bout spelling....or mayb i shuld seeing eng is on monday

worriedman

HSC
just to be sure, i meant that the student is ranked 1st in the school, not the state.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Q2C-ME said:
the aforementioned is all true...the system is designed to award all thoose regardless of schools rank e.t.c

and lyk...it seems to me that u are highly motivated...and that the "limited" resources will not hav an impact on you?....see when people post up threads lyk this...and THEIR ARE LOTS!!...its always the qauntative measure...i think they forget the qualatative...and sometimes...its just that a skewl has poorer teachers...and poorer resources...BUT HEY IM NOT DISCRIMINATING...just a trend...yet...what i hav seen is that that is added motivation...

so dont worry and take it ezy

p.s. forgive my poor spelling and over use of elipses...i dnt care bout spelling....or mayb i shuld seeing eng is on monday
Alot of the time smaller coastal schools inherit teachers who started out in Sydney.

About a handful of mine started at selective schools in their younger years then moved north and now teach at my school.

Resources are really the only big difference ignoring personal beliefs about your teachers. Of course, poorer schools are being thrown money at the moment (well, mine is. 3 million dollar upgrade anyone?) and quite often communities get together and donate. we recently had harvey norman donate a bunch of new computers.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
worriedman said:
just to be sure, i meant that the student is ranked 1st in the school, not the state.
Yup. If you're first and do well in the external exams, there is nothing to worry about.

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:
Well basically if you go to for eg a top 10 school then you KNOW (kind of) that you will get 99+ (probably close to 100) if you are ranked first in most of your subjects.

Whereas if you were ranked first even in all your subjects at a 400ish school you won't be as certain (and sometimes it's near impossible just judging by past years) in scoring 99+.

I notice you go to bossley park high school? For eg the dux there doesn't even get 99 so that half proves my point.

I'm not saying someone can't score 100 if they go to these schools it's just that generally they don't (and don't you study history so you'll know about the continuity etc of trends).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
jeremychung said:
Well basically if you go to for eg a top 10 school then you KNOW (kind of) that you will get 99+ (probably close to 100) if you are ranked first in most of your subjects.

Whereas if you were ranked first even in all your subjects at a 400ish school you won't be as certain (and sometimes it's near impossible just judging by past years) in scoring 99+.

I notice you go to bossley park high school? For eg the dux there doesn't even get 99 so that half proves my point.

I'm not saying someone can't score 100 if they go to these schools it's just that generally they don't (and don't you study history so you'll know about the continuity etc of trends).
I accept that, but what gets me is when people start dissing schools and calling them 'shit' and form gross generalisations just cos they don't have as much achievers as the top 10 or 20 schools.

And yeah, I study history, but you learn to question whether or not there is continuity in trends as well (just blame this philosophical view on History Extension) :p

ZAvenger

HSC
MysticalElement said:
hate these fags who aren't in hsc for like a few years...harden the f*ck up and piss off
If you don't plan ahead the only person who suffers from it is you. School does matter for a whole lot more reasons than scaling. And seriously you're only do your HSC, not that massively important, stop hating on people who will come after you and go study.

Kujah said:
I accept that, but what gets me is when people start dissing schools and calling them 'shit' and form gross generalisations just cos they don't have as much achievers as the top 10 or 20 schools.

And yeah, I study history, but you learn to question whether or not there is continuity in trends as well (just blame this philosophical view on History Extension)
Actually there is a trend, notice how most schools stay as they are on the rankings with only small movements? That itself is a trend really. And beyond scaling what school you go to makes a big difference. Because there is also the who personality of the school.

If everyone in the school wants to do really well, you get a sort of competition going, which pushes everyone to do even better. A friend of mine from Sydney Boys told me a story about his HSC. "Before the trails, it was everyone for themselves trying to beat everyone, after everyone shared so our school all did well" That is the sorta thing that pushes people further and achieves those few extra marks.

So yes, the school does matter, because if you don't get pushed by other people you need to dig deeper for motivation, which is often hard to do.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
ZAvenger said:
If you don't plan ahead the only person who suffers from it is you. School does matter for a whole lot more reasons than scaling. And seriously you're only do your HSC, not that massively important, stop hating on people who will come after you and go study.

Actually there is a trend, notice how most schools stay as they are on the rankings with only small movements? That itself is a trend really. And beyond scaling what school you go to makes a big difference. Because there is also the who personality of the school.

If everyone in the school wants to do really well, you get a sort of competition going, which pushes everyone to do even better. A friend of mine from Sydney Boys told me a story about his HSC. "Before the trails, it was everyone for themselves trying to beat everyone, after everyone shared so our school all did well" That is the sorta thing that pushes people further and achieves those few extra marks.

So yes, the school does matter, because if you don't get pushed by other people you need to dig deeper for motivation, which is often hard to do.
Yeah, I understand, I was making a comment on trends in general in history, but I agree with that. But all I'm saying is that people like shleyboss (troll) shouldn't diss other schools and say that they're outright 'shit' due to their rankings or the relative performance of the entire cohort. We still have people who are highly motivated and want to achieve as well :)

jeremychung

HSC
N/A
Kujah said:

And yeah, I study history, but you learn to question whether or not there is continuity in trends as well (just blame this philosophical view on History Extension) :p
Well i wouldn't call bossley park high school 'shit', but yes it would be inferior in terms of the student cohort as they

don't have as much achievers as the top 10 or 20 schools.
I thought that was obvious? Also i think it should be 'as many achievers' otherwise it doesn't make sense at all.

What's your rank in english :p

lilredelmo

HSC
So is it better to be ranked near the bottom of a really smart school than near the top of a "dumb" school???The assesments are scaled to the schools performance in the exams aren't they???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)