Insane work load (1 Viewer)

KGB!

HSC
I have to say that most of the above advice is correct,

I understand that the first semester does seem a bit daunting and it is a big step up from high school. This is always going to happen as you need to read chapters instead of 5 pages for each class.

One of the first strategies that I employed was waiting for the release of the weekly lecture notes before doing my readings. Simply, some lecture notes are very good summaries of the textbook that it means reading the text is not necessary. Subjects like marketing, accounting and MPO in Semester 1 were like that.

I think goan crazy's solution of going to lectures is another way to get around the reading. If you go to the lecture and understand it all, there is no need to read the whole chapter. Instead you can just clarify the key points that you didnt understand.

Good luck anyway. You will find out the best way you study.
Thanks for your advice. I'm kind of getting used to uni now and starting to realise that I'm too used to trying to summarise everything that I read because that's what I did for my HSC. I know now that in uni exams, they can't test us on everything, especially because the exam formats for many of the subjects are multiple choice, so I'm going to focus on the content in the lectures and just expand a bit more with my reading and make sure I understand the content.

About the exams (mid-sem and final), are we notified before-hand as to what exactly are we tested on? Like certain topics within each subject? Thanks.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
About the exams (mid-sem and final), are we notified before-hand as to what exactly are we tested on? Like certain topics within each subject? Thanks.
Nup. Not officially, anyway. Sometimes they'll drop hints, like "you should really remember this" and in the last lecture of accounting last year (one of the only two lectures I went to) he pretty much said "make sure you know xyz" and essentially told us what topics we should know in detail. You won't get a "here's the topics for the exam" though, unless they say it sarcastically by telling you to read the whole textbook.

spence

HSC
You won't get a "here's the topics for the exam" though, unless they say it sarcastically by telling you to read the whole textbook.
We got this for the essay section of Economics for Business

KGB!

HSC
Does anybody have any opinions about the mid-semester and final exams? Do they include questions which include topics that we covered during the semester or do they ask us questions that are on unchartered territory?

Like for example, questions that can be only answered if we did extended reading during the semester? The assessment rankings, like high distinction seem quite difficult to achieve so I'm wondering whether this was the reason why.

Anybody have any feedback about the MPO exam? Our lecturer assigns us entire chapters for reading every week and doesn't specifiy which exact pages so by the end of semester, that's practically the whole entire textbook that we have to 'memorise' for exams. Are they going to be mean and ask us questions relating to discrete information in the textbook?

Thanks.

spence

HSC
Are they going to be mean and ask us questions relating to discrete information in the textbook?

Thanks.
Yeah they put some pretty obscure questions in there. But there were a lot that were easy even if you hadn't done any reading

KGB!

HSC
Yeah they put some pretty obscure questions in there. But there were a lot that were easy even if you hadn't done any reading
LOL. Evil people. Do we get asked exam questions relating to the tutorial readings as well?

KGB!

HSC
Noooo... I spent so many hours yesterday reading and summarising the tut readings for this week and the chapter from the texbook. Talk about no-lifeness. Oh yeah, I don't know if it's just me or the MPO textbook contains extremely weird examples. They even talked missiles being formed in the shape of the male anatomy in chapter one about managing individuals. Are we supposed to study that? LOL.

Last edited:

maka

HSC
KGB,

When doing your readings, you can discern what is important or not. You need to chill out a bit and take the readings as they come.

The reading for MPO can be skim read. The lecture notes provide the basic points and if you need any clarification, read that section of the book.

Reading the text without using the lecture notes is a pointless exercise because you dont have any real guide as to wha\t you want to achieve. That is the key lesson for first years to know. Know what you want to achieve from the readings because that way, you dont need to read the irrelevant stuff.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
KGB,

When doing your readings, you can discern what is important or not. You need to chill out a bit and take the readings as they come.

The reading for MPO can be skim read. The lecture notes provide the basic points and if you need any clarification, read that section of the book.

Reading the text without using the lecture notes is a pointless exercise because you dont have any real guide as to wha\t you want to achieve. That is the key lesson for first years to know. Know what you want to achieve from the readings because that way, you dont need to read the irrelevant stuff.
Yeah Maka gave some great advice re MPO :)
For me i discovered this the hard way
started the 1st few weeks reading MPO n being like WTF
but it all made sense in the lecs
about week 4 i stopped reading lol
just attended the lecs n made really good notes

Voycontondor

HSC
lulz @ complaining about business subjects
i learnt the entire course content for marketing on the train to the final exam. still got a D.
i don't recommend the same amount of study for acc2 or FBF though.
gta admit law subjects require a ton of reading beforehand (but they are open book so don't have to memorise 100 pages of notes)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)