Interesting Punk (1 Viewer)

m4tt3h

HSC
Musicaly interesting.

Rancid.
The guitar isnt your typically punk progression, its a combination of ska, punk, rockabilly.
The Bass is freaking amazing. instead of what most punk bands do with the bass playing the 3rd and 5th of the chords played by the guitar. Instead plays relative arpeggios.
Its real punk.

J4

HSC
you wanna look at bands like:

AFI (There early stuff, cause the new pop stuff is ew)
Bad Religion
Billy Talent
Lagwagon
Millencolin
Mxpx
No Fun At All
NoFX
Pennywise
Rancid
SR-71
Sublime
Unwritten Law

don't get into any pop-punk, its a waste of time and instruments

shivthatyak

HSC
Most definitely check out 90's band "Refused", partcularly their last album "The shape of punk to come". It's brilliant, technical, experimental hardcore punk, and is one of my favourite albums.
Definitely check them out!

J4

HSC
right because millencolin, mxpx, unwritten law .. they're not pop punk at all, nice one
You seem to be quite unsure of what pop-punk is. Just cause millencolin are not as hard and heavy as other punk bands are does not make them pop-punk. Look at The Ataris, Taking Back Sunday and Useless I.D if you want Pop-Punk.

Haha i admit the mistake of mxpx, my bad.

As for Unwritten law, go throat a dick, their punk

Scruffy101

HSC
I dunno, a few of these are pretty straight up and power-cordy, eh?

Arctopus

HSC
also Minutemen
Yes, I have Double Nickels on the Dime and it really really impressed me, not what I was expecting at all.

Anyway; I'm into more hardcore punk and crossover genres, somewhat more abrasive than other styles.

Some Australian bands I like:

Extortion - EXTORTION on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
White Male Dumbinance - W.M.D. on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

American stuff:
Dangers - weareDANGERS
Magrudergrind - magrudergrind on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Converge - CONVERGE On tour now!!! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos

But yeah, I also really like Minor Threat, Bad Brains and even old AFI.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
You seem to be quite unsure of what pop-punk is. Just cause millencolin are not as hard and heavy as other punk bands are does not make them pop-punk. Look at The Ataris, Taking Back Sunday and Useless I.D if you want Pop-Punk.

Haha i admit the mistake of mxpx, my bad.

As for Unwritten law, go throat a dick, their punk
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Even millencolin fans know millencolin are pop punk.

Learn the first thing about music before communicating with people that know far more about this shit than you do.

binary star

HSC
"punk" is a pretty vague term. It'll probably be better if you specified a sub-genre or something. Otherwise it is unlikely that any of these suggestions will actually fit your particular taste.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
In answer to the OP

Hot Water Music
Propagandhi
A Wilhelm Scream
Tiger Army
Knapsack
Far

Not punk with punk influences:
Bear Vs. Shark
The Blood Brothers
Jawbreaker
No Knife
At the drive-in (obviously)
Glassjaw
Gallows

J4

HSC
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Even millencolin fans know millencolin are pop punk.

Learn the first thing about music before communicating with people that know far more about this shit than you do.
Ummm well i do know quite a bit about music thank you
And everybody i know who knows of or likes Millencolin disagree that they are pop-punk, so hmmmmm

Are you are Millencolin fan?

J4

HSC
"punk" is a pretty vague term. It'll probably be better if you specified a sub-genre or something. Otherwise it is unlikely that any of these suggestions will actually fit your particular taste.
Yay for skate punk :mad1:

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Ummm well i do know quite a bit about music thank you
And everybody i know who knows of or likes Millencolin disagree that they are pop-punk, so hmmmmm

Are you are Millencolin fan?
Since I was 12.

Have seen them live twice as well.
Calling them pop-punk isn't meant to be an insult, it's just kinda obvious if you compare them to the genre as a whole.

J4

HSC
Since I was 12.

Have seen them live twice as well.
Calling them pop-punk isn't meant to be an insult, it's just kinda obvious if you compare them to the genre as a whole.
I have also seen them live, and been a fan from a young age
I know where your coming from, but i just don't see them as pop-punk, compared to other pop-punk bands out there.

Yeah, if you compare them to the whole genre it does seem a little 'weak' but not really pop, just less heavy i'd say, cause punk branches off into that many sub-genres.

Arctopus

HSC
Yeah, if you compare them to the whole genre it does seem a little 'weak' but not really pop, just less heavy i'd say, cause punk branches off into that many sub-genres.
Then would you not say that this 'weakness' in comparison to the rest of the genre would not result in it's ease of distribution to the populous and it's ease of acceptance by the populous resulting in a higher chance of it becoming popular?

The only way I see pop-punk as some sort of dirty word is when people link it to bands like All Time Low and those sort of American whinger-singer bands that, when compared to Millencolin, don't really have anything to do with punk.

J4

HSC
Then would you not say that this 'weakness' in comparison to the rest of the genre would not result in it's ease of distribution to the populous and it's ease of acceptance by the populous resulting in a higher chance of it becoming popular?

The only way I see pop-punk as some sort of dirty word is when people link it to bands like All Time Low and those sort of American whinger-singer bands that, when compared to Millencolin, don't really have anything to do with punk.
Pop-punk is, in my mind, derogatory. AFI for instance were labled as Pop-Punk just for their DecemberUnderground album, which suck in comparison to their early music. And for that, their fanbase shrank, and included emo's and shit alike.

Yes, i agree, All Time Low do suck, cant they just be pop?

Last edited:

Arctopus

HSC
Eh, what something is labeled as isn't really up to the individual. If they wanna call All Time Low and whatnot pop-punk, just let them... atleast they're not listening to real punk, right?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)