Internal or External???? (1 Viewer)

elocingrace

HSC
Hi All,

I am currently doing Arts/Law by dis, and i am in my third year. I keep thinking i can do better with my marks and i am wondering if i should make the sacrifice and move to Armidale and attend uni on campus. I currently live in Albury, which is on the NSW/VIC border so it would be a long move!

I was wondering if it is worth it, and the propects of obtaining casual employment, what the colleges are like or is it best to live off campus??? Alot of questions i know!

Thank you!

Elocingrace

machine169

Anchorman
HSC
elocingrace said:
Hi All,

I am currently doing Arts/Law by dis, and i am in my third year. I keep thinking i can do better with my marks and i am wondering if i should make the sacrifice and move to Armidale and attend uni on campus. I currently live in Albury, which is on the NSW/VIC border so it would be a long move!

I was wondering if it is worth it, and the propects of obtaining casual employment, what the colleges are like or is it best to live off campus??? Alot of questions i know!

Thank you!

Elocingrace

I have only ever studied internally so this is a hard question to answer. I have done a couple of law units externally and perhaps it it harder to 'get around' to doing work externally. But now most law units are podcasted which helps. By the end of your law degree most internal students know each other. Studying internally enables you to ask questions to lecturers in a face to face environment. I think with law at least the more time you put into your work the better you will do. If you live in a college you would be able to ask questions about arts, law issues to relevant academic seniours. On the other hand living off campus may result in less distractions. It would be easy to form groups internally to discuss issues in assignments etc. Casual employment- depends on what you're looking for but around the beginning of the new academic year, next year many new shops will be opening up in Armidale with the new centro and plaza.

look at http://study.une.edu.au/pages.php3?p=MSONC

lawgrad1

HSC
Hi!

I studied internally for the entire 5yrs of my Arts/Law degree (although some subjects were externally based). I personally preferred doing the subjects internally because that gave you a greater chance to chat with your fellow students & lecturers. Then again, as UNE is a highly respected distance education provider, there are heaps of opportunities for external students to get the same benefits as internal ones (ie: as machine169 mentioned, podcasts).

Senior students at college are always available to help out with questions and many run tutorials. Admittedly, there's always distractions at college, but I had no problem with it and got through my entire Arts/Law degree staying at college.

Armidale has traditionally been difficult to find casual employment because you've got all the uni students and high school students in one small town. However, as machine169 mentioned, with the new shopping centre opening soon, there is likely to be more opportunities for employment.

BlackDragon

HSC
you should check out the college websites of course, read the accomadation thread of this forum, and talk to someone from the uni because if you think you can do better, on campus study may be better for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)