Internal transfer to law (1 Viewer)

mysweetfracture

HSC
Hey,

I'm looking to transfer from B Com-Mtg to BA LLB at the end of the year. Since you need to do the two first year law subjects before you transfer to LLB, i should just transfer to the straight BA degree for 2008 (since applications from my current degree to BA are approved on application) and do the law subjects, yeah?

Then all ill need to do is apply to transfer to LLB at the end of next year? So essentially its an unofficial first year BA LLB pattern.

Theres not any other requirements to get into Law is there, apart from the gpa of 2.0? Cause one webpage said that the Law department will take into account UAI and tertiary marks as well but that isnt in the handbook?

thanks.

X

xeuyrawp

mysweetfracture said:
Hey,

I'm looking to transfer from B Com-Mtg to BA LLB at the end of the year. Since you need to do the two first year law subjects before you transfer to LLB, i should just transfer to the straight BA degree for 2008 (since applications from my current degree to BA are approved on application) and do the law subjects, yeah?

Then all ill need to do is apply to transfer to LLB at the end of next year? So essentially its an unofficial first year BA LLB pattern.

Theres not any other requirements to get into Law is there, apart from the gpa of 2.0? Cause one webpage said that the Law department will take into account UAI and tertiary marks as well but that isnt in the handbook?

thanks.
Law transfer isn't explained well in the handbook.

If you want to graduate with a BA LLB, yes, transfer into the BA for next year. If you have the GPA it should be automatic.

However, I'm quite sure you can also apply to be admitted into law the same year (2008); the initial 'transfer' is actually a waiver gaining you access to LAW114. You don't have to jump from your current degree into arts, and then from arts into arts/law - you can simply jump into arts/law - although the arts bit is automatic, and the law bit is not. On your application (see below), you should note that you've just transferred (by the time you're writing the application, you'll be in a BA) into a BA. If your marks weren't that hot, maybe point out that arts subjects are where your passions lie, etc etc, and all that crap. :)

As for the law transfer application process, read here. Essentially what they do is set a quota every year - eg 'this year, we're taking 30 students'. They then rank each student, and the 31st student misses out.

That link says it takes your UAI/GPA as a 50/50 criterion for ranking, but one of the staff members told me that it is purely GPA. Whatever the case, you need a strong GPA to be competitive - a good Distinction average and a GPA of high 3.xx is a good aim, I think.

The application is a form and includes a 'why do you want to do law' thingo. I had work experience with an SC and he attached a reference, which I stapled on. Anything and everything which shows a) you're passionate, and b) you're informed will undoubtedly help. I bet they're so sick of idiots who just want to do law, then drop out when they realise it's not all Boston Legal - ie show you're informed!

This form can be grabbed now or very soon, I think. It needs to be lodged by mid-January (date will be on the form). Go to Maggie Liston's office to get the form. If you have any other questions, you can ask her or yell out here. :)

Also note that you can transfer externally - ie via UAC. I'd suggest giving that a go as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

iwannarock

HSC
and what about if i want to transfer out of law?

:santa:

mysweetfracture

HSC
PwarYuex said:

If you want to graduate with a BA LLB, yes, transfer into the BA for next year. If you have the GPA it should be automatic.

However, I'm quite sure you can also apply to be admitted into law the same year (2008); the initial 'transfer' is actually a waiver gaining you access to LAW114. You don't have to jump from your current degree into arts, and then from arts into arts/law - you can simply jump into arts/law - although the arts bit is automatic, and the law bit is not. On your application (see below), you should note that you've just transferred (by the time you're writing the application, you'll be in a BA) into a BA. If your marks weren't that hot, maybe point out that arts subjects are where your passions lie, etc etc, and all that crap. :)

As for the law transfer application process, read here. Essentially what they do is set a quota every year - eg 'this year, we're taking 30 students'. They then rank each student, and the 31st student misses out.

That link says it takes your UAI/GPA as a 50/50 criterion for ranking, but one of the staff members told me that it is purely GPA. Whatever the case, you need a strong GPA to be competitive - a good Distinction average and a GPA of high 3.xx is a good aim, I think.

The application is a form and includes a 'why do you want to do law' thingo. I had work experience with an SC and he attached a reference, which I stapled on. Anything and everything which shows a) you're passionate, and b) you're informed will undoubtedly help. I bet they're so sick of idiots who just want to do law, then drop out when they realise it's not all Boston Legal - ie show you're informed!

This form can be grabbed now or very soon, I think. It needs to be lodged by mid-January (date will be on the form). Go to Maggie Liston's office to get the form. If you have any other questions, you can ask her or yell out here. :)

Also note that you can transfer externally - ie via UAC. I'd suggest giving that a go as well.
Wow, thanks for all that.
I'm just a little confused about one thing though. You said that if my marks werent all that hot I just say arts is where my passion is etc, but then I'll likely need a distinction average GPA anyway?

X

xeuyrawp

mysweetfracture said:
Wow, thanks for all that.
I'm just a little confused about one thing though. You said that if my marks werent all that hot I just say arts is where my passion is etc, but then I'll likely need a distinction average GPA anyway?
I'm a big believer in just giving things a go.

If your marks aren't hot, they may be inclined to reject you. However if you have either done some arts units in which you did well, or you have done no arts units, you could say that your initial mistake in enrolling in BCom shouldn't stop you from perusing your pathway through a BA LLB. This may make them less inclined to reject you. Buff up your application with some stuff which shows that you're keen and able -- get some experience of some sort, and a reference.

I won't lie to you, though, unless you have a decent GPA, there is probably nothing a fantastic application can do for you. Give it, and external transfer, a go though. :)

Tabris

HSC
Finished first year on 5 D and 3 Cr

so thats about 3.625.... with my 91.35 UAI, i still made it in.

Depends on the cohort of applicants and the stuff you write

hannahxxx

HSC
Just wondering.....
My gpa for this yr will be 3.42. My uai last yr was 92.35. Am i fucked in terms of getting a transfer from arts this yr into arts/law next? :(

hannahxxx

HSC
that's pretty good. I was thinkin if i don't get into mq law, i can do it at uws. Do a yr of arts/law there, then try again for mq, hoping they'll look at my uws results, rather than my gpa from mq...............yea that probably sounded confusing sorry :(

X

xeuyrawp

hannahxxx said:
that's pretty good. I was thinkin if i don't get into mq law, i can do it at uws. Do a yr of arts/law there, then try again for mq, hoping they'll look at my uws results, rather than my gpa from mq...............yea that probably sounded confusing sorry :(
Then you'll be ranked along with all other NRSL (non-recent school leaver) applicants via UAC.

Totally different process. :)

Cam@MQ

HSC
I am currently doing a degree in Business Administration

According to the above comment, all I need is a GPA above 2.0 and I can combine my degree with law and it is automatic!!?? All I need is the GPA 2.0 prerequisite?

hannahxxx

HSC
unfortunately the main word is "minimum"......it's a pretty dodgy description in a sense b/c things are often much more competitive than that....i don't know anyone who's gotten a flat gpa of 2 and a uai of 90 and gotten into law at mq.....in a lot of ways some of the descriptions in the mq hand book make it sound easier than it rlly is....but then again unis DO compete with each other for our money....lol such is a given

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Cam, no Law is not an automatic thing like the others, its based on a quota based system (otherwise every man and his dog would be in law).

So while the minimum is 2.0, 3.5 + is the 'competitive' mark.

X

xeuyrawp

Cam@MQ said:
I am currently doing a degree in Business Administration

According to the above comment, all I need is a GPA above 2.0 and I can combine my degree with law and it is automatic!!?? All I need is the GPA 2.0 prerequisite?
pwaryuex said:

... you need a strong GPA to be competitive - a good Distinction average and a GPA of high 3.xx is a good aim, I think.
As a lawyer, you need to read everything thoroughly and twice. ;)

*Hopes never to be a lawyer... :(*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)