Internet in the Colleges (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I was wondering whether anyone had any details on the internet available via a pre-paid system in the colleges.

What is its speed?

Will I need a special modem?

How much is it per Mb?

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
It is faster than anything you can get in your home, its on the backbone of a 100mb t3up/t2down.

no special modem needed just a network card (most motherboards have one in built) 100mb recommended.

cost is dependent of the college usually around 12c a meg. :mad:

This applies to all colleges except john XXIII which is on a 10mb proxy server so you cant use things like netbank in you room, yet it is much cheaper around 4c a meg.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Its funny because even THAT's a fortune.

$40 for 1 gig a month... ah well. :p

Do you know how much wireless will cost?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
From what I have seen about wireless at ANU, it will cost only the price of a wireless network card however will be limited by the same quota system used in the labs.

Walk up and plug in points are available in the library (also constrained by the quota system).

If you wanted to set up your own wireless network, you would need an Acess Point aprox $100 and a wireless card another $100 or so. Plug AP into college net, set everything up and away you go. Secure it though overwise a tech savy guy next door with a wireless card will start using your connection and you'll be paying for it.

Thanks for the help cheesgrater, it is a pity that it's that fast but that expensive, I suppose it reduced the urge to pirate. At least pre-paid makes it harder to run over ridiculously without realising. Do you pay for uploads or just downloads?

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
reduced the urge to pirate, ahahahaha there is roughly 2terrabytes or shared stuff on the anu p2p network.

I think he was talking about when wireless internet comes to canberra you will be able to pay for that, will be quite fast as the base station will be on telstra tower which looms over the uni. it should be fast enough to share a connection between 2-4 people, but we shall see when it comes.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Because that stuff is on anu's own p2p network does it cost to download? Urge to pirate rising...

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
NO!! free and i usually pull about 2-6 meg/s or 200 - 600kb off johns!!
and as a federal institution they cant raid and shut us down like what they did at syd and melb uni's.
But we only use it for sure non copyrighted material and uni notes of course ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I just though of something....
I'll probably be in Fenner does it still have the uber high speed connection and access to anu's p2p connection? Or am I going to have to use my mates connection at B&G for that sort of thing?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
ok so it runs on a backbone of t3/t2 but is t3/t2 the speed you get sitting in your room (unless you're in johns)?

If not what is?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
What P2P client is used on the ANU internal network?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ziff said:
What P2P client is used on the ANU internal network?
I think people just dump stuff in their shared folder - no client needed.

Mumma

HSC
But we only use it for sure non copyrighted material and uni notes of course
Yeah, 2 terrabytes of uni notes, haha, no wonder ANU is the best uni in australia.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
My internal ANU sources tell me "WinMX" is the client of choice.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I already use WinMX for p2p sharing over the internet I was unaware that it also had functionality in that way over a lan?

Or is the network set up as an intranet?

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
there is no other choice for p2p other than winmx. People use that crappy itunes or whatever for mp3s sometimes, but because everyone is on winmx, and you have to be on winmx to get to those people, everyone is forced onto winmx, which in my opinion is very buggy and it crapped me to tears when downloading 700+ mb movies and they would fail at 99%... although it didnt matter too much considering I leeched at around 4mb a sec depending on the cap the person I was leeching off.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I dont have any problem with winmx when i use it and its much better than the other crap out there. 4mb a second would certainly be good.

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
my point.

its amazing how jargon like dc++ can prove a point.

Now, all the uni needs now is 10/100/1000 network support and we could get 100mb a second!
pff sif I know what im talking about.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
From the sound of it 10/100/1000 would require major infrastructure upgrades, at best the cabling could handle it but all switches, routers etc would need replacing.

Also that would mean that users would need to upgrade to 10/100/1000 NIC's themselves, and depending on the set-up they have if a single 10/100 user was to log onto a 10/100/1000 network with say 3000 people online at gigabit speeds then all users would be forced back to 10/100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)