IP Anxiety... (1 Viewer)

bussoti

HSC
Alright, so I'm having one of those 'I've hit a brick wall in my performance and can't go any further, insert overly dramatic sigh here because I am a serious actress' phases, again. I keep going back to my script, going on the old saying that I'll find the answers I seek if I keep going back, but I have the feeling that without the backstory, my monologue doesn't really make sense. I blamed it on the fact that I may have chosen poorly on my script since it's an adaptation and sort of a recount of my characters actions. Perhaps I've chosen too hard a role? Whatever the case, I've hit a point where I don't enjoy drama anymore because I feel incredibly stressed about it, and everything I do is pointless and not getting me anywhere. At other times, I feel as though I'm overdoing the acting, or not being theatrical enough, and then when I practice I feel as though I fail at life and should have done costume design for As you Like It. If anybody has any tips as to break through this wall, (ahah you thought I was going to make a fourth wall joke!) please, please, please give me your advice. I'm only getting a little on edge about the Trials being not too far away... and may resort to attempting my own suicide on the day of the HSC. I may or may not have already purchased a rope... and am really kidding even if I have become incredibly impossible because of this darn project. Help please!

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
hey,
i felt exactly the same with my piece last year. don't stress too much, everybody ends up smacked against that creative brick wall at some stage. could i suggest (as hard as it might be to do) ... that you just leave it for a bit? like just a few days. don't touch it. don't even think about it. just leave it. and then come back to it refreshed instead of grinding yourself into the ground over it in frustration. When i was having trouble with my piece last year for example the main problem was that the piece was lacking the spontaneous comedy it had previously had because i over rehearsed it to death.
trust me, get some perspective and leave it alone for a little while.

goosiegoo

HSC
I know the feeling, i had a similar problem with my drama performance about a month ago (i wasn't very far into it, though) annd.. my solution was to change to poster and promotion. Ha.
However, i assume you want to keep with your performance... ^CoSMic DoRiS^^
is right, take a bit of time off and just clear your head because you won't get anywhere if you just keep on running into the brick wall until you pass out. :D
try to clear your head... because often you don't realise it, but you've gotten into this rut where you can only think about one thing in terms of your performance, and can't look outside that (if that makes sense). Try to look at it from a completely different perspective and it might help you think of something?

Anyway, I don't know if that'll help... but it did for my art major when i hitone of those brick walls.

And i'm ranting some sort of nonsense now.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)