IPT Study Thread (1 Viewer)

JosephW

HSC
seremify007 said:
Q: Who are the users, and who are the participants, of an information system? Give examples [general question]
[/quote]

A little rusty but Ill have a shot.

A user is someone who uses information from a IS for example a manager analyzing the nights earnings while a participant is one who uses the IS such as an employee using the computer when he sell's something.

Q: What are the advantages of normalizing a database? (4 marks)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
crammy90 said:
conflict resolution is just resolving conflicts after they have occured i.e. brain storming or some bs. err i think bargaining, finding common ground etc.
Negotiation skills are employed before problems arise. These are like building trust and shit to avoid having to use conflict resolution.
i dont think we would have to get a question like that tho
There was a question like that in a past Catholic Trial.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Takuto said:
A router is a device which directs and finds the best possible pathway for data packets to travel through a network

A switch is a device that distributes data packets between the nodes or devices of a network. It receives a data packet and only broadcasts it to the required port.

Both connect devices together and allow for the transmission of data.

In contrast of the two, a router is a much more complicated device; it can find the best possible pathway from A to B by communicating with other routers e.g. if a link is broken, it can find its way around it.
Not completely accurate; in the context of some information systems such as a WAN packet-switching network like the Net, a switch can determine the best path for a given data packet to take. The IP address of a packet informs a switch as to which output port it should send it to, on the packet's way to its destination port. While switches don't maintain a detailed table of all possible options like a router, some can determine the best path for a data packet.

JosephW

HSC
fallenstar said:
Not completely accurate; in the context of some information systems such as a WAN packet-switching network like the Net, a switch can determine the best path for a given data packet to take. The IP address of a packet informs a switch as to which output port it should send it to, on the packet's way to its destination port. While switches don't maintain a detailed table of all possible options like a router, some can determine the best path for a data packet.
As well, routers use algorithms to find the quickest way to the destination as they consider distance, traffic and any interrupted pathways. They may also communicate with other routers in finding a certain destination. :ninja:

Also for switches, they broadcast every 5 minutes or so to confirm a nodes location unlike hubs which broadcast for every data sent.

pezdog

HSC
MysticalElement said:
hey...
whats the diff between a schema and a ERD
I thought they were the same thing?

How is sound digitised? (I always seem to get this wrong in past papers)

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
analog sound can be represented as a wave (think sine wav).

the different pitch and volume in the analog sound is represented by the wave's frequency and amplitude.

the wave is sampled (readings of amplitude and frequency) and converted into a digital format such as wav, mp3, wma or FLAC.

Some of these file types are lossy (mp3 and wma) while some are lossless (FLAC).

if you want to improve the quality of a digitised sound you take more samples per second (fast bit rate). as well as improving the quality it increases the resulting file size.

if you want to keep the file size down you take fewer samples per second (slow bit rate). this also reduces the quality of the digitised sound.

a variable bitrate can be used to optimise the sampling process so that the best quality sound can be obtained in the smallest possible file.

LiL-Azn

R-R-Remix!!
HSC
Does anyone follow the syllabus? I find it confusing to read and follow. Anyone having this problem? The syllabus hasn't been updated since 2002 right or am i reading the wrong one?

LOOMESY

HSC
can anyone tell me how to find the bit depth of an image?

say it has 256 colours
or any other example

tryin2study

HSC
LOOMESY said:
can anyone tell me how to find the bit depth of an image?

say it has 256 colours
or any other example
well it requires 8 bits to get the 256 colours.. its just 2 to the power 8..

2 to the power of x( number of pixels) equals to the number of colours..

well i hope i answered your question..

well here's my question

What's the difference between forward and backward chaining? Provide examples if necessary.

Takuto

HSC
lol forward/backward chaining is part of the SDD course i think

Q: Discuss the potential advantages of the use of a pilot conversion method over a phased conversion method. (2 marks)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
With, pilot all the bugs and shortcomings can be tested before it's fully implemented. There is also no confusion between systems as everyone in pilot uses 1 system, while those on phased have to use 2 systems.

^ the adv of pilot and dis. of phased. Enough?

mungi

HSC
what are some of the software needed to establish a communication link?

SamD

HSC
N/A
tryin2study said:
What's the difference between forward and backward chaining? Provide examples if necessary.
This is part of the Decision Support Systems option topic. It deals with how the inference engine part of an expert system ahieves goal and reaches conclusions.

Briefly...

Backward chaining - the aim is to achieve a particular goal (eg. determine what's wrong with a car). The inference engines asks questions to gather more and more detailed information relevant to achieving this goal. Answers to questions establish facts which can be used to fire rules until a rule achieves the goal. Also known as a goal driven strategy.

Forward chaining - start with a whole bunch of known facts (perhaps by asking a series of questions) and see what conclusions we can reach. Use the known facts to fire rules which establishes further facts and so on... It is possible for a number of conclusions to be reached. Also known as a data driven strategy.

HTH
Sam

Another question:
Consider your mobile phone as an information system. Describe the external entities and dataflows on a context diagram for this system.

Heiday

HSC
O = Proccess
[] = External Entity
-> = Data flow.
-------------------------------

[transmitter] -> O (mobile system) -> [receiver]

Transmitter, sends out electronic pulses to the closest station. Which is then proccessed and sent to the receiver.

Am i correct? lol

MrKim

HSC
I see no one's putting up a question? so i may as well put one up.

What is 'metadata'? and what does it do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)