Is 91+ Possible (1 Viewer)

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
So that means that if my year group does really well in the HSC then my marks would be scaled up if i do really badly (as an example)

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
So that means that if my year group does really well in the HSC then my marks would be scaled up if i do really badly (as an example)
Not scaled. Scaling is done after you receive you HSC mark. But i know what you meant. And yes.

It depends on your ranks. If you are near the top, and you do poorly, you will be pulled up (if you cohort does well).

Take James Ruse (1st ranked school in NSW), that school has consistently had strong cohorts. So in theory, if a student their does poorly, their class mates (cohort) will pull up his marks.

Last edited:

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh cool
So for example, if i don't do well and i do really well in hsc then i will get pulled down depending on my cohort?

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Oh cool
So for example, if i don't do well and i do really well in hsc then i will get pulled down depending on my cohort?
Yes.

If your cohort does extremely well, you will be pulled up.

If your cohort does extremely bad, you will be pulled down.

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
That's reassuring for my English results then! ^^
Thanks heaps for your help :)
and also good luck with your HSC :)

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I now dont regret picking Advanced English despite getting 70% in trials.... Haha!

cka_tm

HSC
Uni Grad
Whilst we are on this topic, you want to share trial marks? ^^
We can both help each other in giving tips to improving our marks for the HSC :)

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Whilst we are on this topic, you want to share trial marks? ^^
We can both help each other in giving tips to improving our marks for the HSC :)
Probably best to make a new thread.

I got 78% in trials.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
lol if your school isn't at LEAST top 100 there is no chance
Why? Even if you are not a top 100 school why does that matter? UAC has always told me that the school doesn't matter, unless they are lying. And who knows, maybe he can beat the expectations and shouldn't be limited right?

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
Why? Even if you are not a top 100 school why does that matter? UAC has always told me that the school doesn't matter, unless they are lying. And who knows, maybe he can beat the expectations and shouldn't be limited right?
In theory, UAC is right. However often schools who aren't in the top 100, struggle to get ATAR's above ~98

Cheesecake_a

HSC
No.

They moderate according to your school cohorts performance. It is completely different. Last years cohort will have no affect on your current years performance.

School ranks are based of the amount of bands 6's a school receives. However 2011 HSC School ranks are only based of English and Mathematics Band 6's. So this has somewhat distorted true ranks

When the BOS moderates marks, they look at your cohorts overall results, averages, gaps etc. So, your school rank has no affect on your ATAR, however your cohorts performance does (unless you are ranked first internally)
Oh okay that makes sense!!! Thanks

Cheesecake_a

HSC
In theory, UAC is right. However often schools who aren't in the top 100, struggle to get ATAR's above ~98
Ahh okay, because last year there was a strong cohort (highest 98.9 I believe) and previous was 99.5 (don't exactly remember the .5 bit) and we are rank in the hundreds (i completely forgot now) but we did pretty well, and this year we have a pretty strong cohort, does that mean we help each other in a way?

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
I think it depends on the student, I have witnessed so many exceed expectations :)
It does depend on the Cohort

Ahh okay, because last year there was a strong cohort (highest 98.9 I believe) and previous was 99.5 (don't exactly remember the .5 bit) and we are rank in the hundreds (i completely forgot now) but we did pretty well, and this year we have a pretty strong cohort, does that mean we help each other in a way?
Okay, I based it off my school

This is not true at all
The 98+ ATAR thing?

My school has never had a ATAR higher than 97

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)