Is a 6 figure salary possible with a CS or SE degree? (1 Viewer)

turntaker

HSC
I don't think the average pay of ANY degree is 6 figure lol.
I saw this a few minutes ago .

Looking for a high paying job? Seek’s annual review has the top five areas.

Mining is still the biggest payer with almost $121,000 a year on average.

Consulting and strategy offers $108,000 a year

Engineering a little over $105,000 a year

Construction an average $104,700 a year

Information and communication technology almost $100,000 a year

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I saw this a few minutes ago .

Looking for a high paying job? Seek’s annual review has the top five areas.

Mining is still the biggest payer with almost $121,000 a year on average.

Consulting and strategy offers $108,000 a year

Engineering a little over $105,000 a year

Construction an average $104,700 a year

Information and communication technology almost $100,000 a year
Well in that case, you've answered your own question.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Why does UNSW teach C instead of Java.. o.o

C is so useless
What????

C is a very versatile language and is procedural. There is quite a bit you can do with it.

C is quite handy before you go to lower level's of the computer.

However all of this brings into attention that Computer Science or Software Engineering are not about learning a few particular languages. These degrees are about learning methods which make you a good designer/engineer that understands what to do in various situations involving computing. Any good Computer Scientist or Software Engineer can pick up a random programming language and learn it with some time.

The methods used which are common across all languages, or specific types of languages are what matter most. The specifics of each language are gained through experience, and are not as beneficial as knowing the main techniques used for specific groups of programming.

turntaker

HSC
What????

C is a very versatile language and is procedural. There is quite a bit you can do with it.

C is quite handy before you go to lower level's of the computer.

However all of this brings into attention that Computer Science or Software Engineering are not about learning a few particular languages. These degrees are about learning methods which make you a good designer/engineer that understands what to do in various situations involving computing. Any good Computer Scientist or Software Engineer can pick up a random programming language and learn it with some time.

The methods used which are common across all languages, or specific types of languages are what matter most. The specifics of each language are gained through experience, and are not as beneficial as knowing the main techniques used for specific groups of programming.
I agree with what you said. I said C was useless since it's so old and most jobs don't require C

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I agree with what you said. I said C was useless since it's so old and most jobs don't require C
Many things are based off C though. For example, the syntax of Verilog is entirely based on C, but instead of {-} there is begin-end statements.

Also from what I have heard from a friend, assembly languages utilise some things from C. A lot of languages I can imagine do utilise things from C.

Java is more high level and is the reason why some people consider it more "useful".

However, a real programmer would want to go into as much low level as possible, because really that is where you find primitive techniques in programming and where you also learn how everything in the computer works together.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Many things are based off C though. For example, the syntax of Verilog is entirely based on C, but instead of {-} there is begin-end statements.

Also from what I have heard from a friend, assembly languages utilise some things from C. A lot of languages I can imagine do utilise things from C.
C++ is more commonly used but they are very similar :D

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Of course in saying that you would want to go into a lot of low level programming, knowing the high level stuff does lead you to using very powerful languages. A broad knowledge of a range of different programs is essentially what you need (hence why its best to learn the techniques of programming rather than learning one specific language).

_______

also lmao again at thinking 6 figures is anything special
inb4 7 figures is not special enough either lel.

turntaker

HSC
Of course in saying that you would want to go into a lot of low level programming, knowing the high level stuff does lead you to using very powerful languages. A broad knowledge of a range of different programs is essentially what you need (hence why its best to learn the techniques of programming rather than learning one specific language).

_______

inb4 figures is not special enough either lel.
Is python be a low level language?

turntaker

HSC
lmao do you know what you're on about

also lmao again at thinking 6 figures is anything special
Dude stop derailing this

But srsly.. How is a 6 figure salary not special?? That's way more than what the average income is. I think you just wanna start some stupid debate

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Is python be a low level language?
yes

Dude stop derailing this

But srsly.. How is a 6 figure salary not special?? That's way more than what the average income is. I think you just wanna start some stupid debate
obvs a troll m9

m8; stealing my job.

I am the indian that's meant to be taking jobs

I don't like you bye. Youre banned from this thread
lol

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Almost a million people in Australia earn 6 figures.

Get rid of people under 25 and dropkicks and it's really not special.

Also don't start a thread, get an answer you don't like, then have a cry.

turntaker

HSC
Almost a million people in Australia earn 6 figures.

Get rid of people under 25 and dropkicks and it's really not special.

Also don't start a thread, get an answer you don't like, then have a cry.
M8 plz stop or I'll have to call the cyberwebz police

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)