Is ANU HONESTLY Good for Undergraduate Law? (1 Viewer)

themonalisa

HSC
I'm thinking of moving interstate next year to study at ANU for Law. Ive read all the reviews and international ratings and apparently ANU is great for research and post graduation work - but does it have the same quality education in its undergraduate degrees???

Should i bother re-shifting and relocating my life for the next 5 years in Australia's best university - when its only the best for postgrad and not undergrad?

gingerwitch28

HSC
I don't really know, but up until 1960 it was only for postgraduate studies, so maybe that's just where its prestige lies? That doesn't necessarily mean its undergrad courses are sub-par, just probably not what it's best known for.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
The ANU College of Law is one of Australia’s leading law schools. Established in 1960 as the Faculty of Law, the ANU College of Law is the 7th oldest of Australia’s 29 law schools, and has produced graduates who are now leaders in their chosen fields all over the world. It is also home to some of Australia’s best-known and most outstanding legal scholars and teachers, and to flagship publications such as the Federal Law Review and the Australian Year Book of International Law. The College also includes Legal Workshop, the National Institute of Social Sciences and Law, and a number of associated Centres and affiliated bodies.

Located in the national capital, seat of the national Parliament, the federal Executive, and the High Court, the ANU College of Law is, in a sense, Australia’s ‘national’ law school. Accordingly, it has special strengths in a number of areas, including international law and public law, and it draws its students and staff from all over Australia, as well as from overseas. It not only has the traditional commitment of Australian law schools to excellence in teaching and research, but also a distinct ethos of commitment to the continuous improvement of the law and the operation of the legal system.

The ANU College of Law offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs, including the LLB, Graduate Diploma and Masters programs, practical legal training through the Legal Workshop, and research degrees such as the SJD and PhD. These programs incorporate a number of special opportunities such as internships, clinical programs, overseas exchanges, supervised research and writing, intensive courses, and access to cutting-edge research and scholarship. You are warmly invited to browse this website to discover more.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Fuking hell, this isnt UWS. Do some fucking research instead of going onto bos and asking retarded questions.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
You're trusting the next 5 years of your life on what anonymous people say to you on the internet. We're not talking about a $50 doona here, but your future career prospects. If i was you, i'd go on the ANU law website and look for the awards its recieved. Most people will say their uni is great, even at UWS. Sorry for the swearing, just we get a lot of people here who asking the same questions, and trying to get US to sell them the university. We're not sales people :p Anyway, moving interstate is a choice you have to make. I did it, and alot of uni kids do it at ANU. So it's not like being a border at high school where it would be 95% international kids

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
You're trusting the next 5 years of your life on what anonymous people say to you on the internet. We're not talking about a $50 doona here, but your future career prospects. If i was you, i'd go on the ANU law website and look for the awards its recieved. Most people will say their uni is great, even at UWS. Sorry for the swearing, just we get a lot of people here who asking the same questions, and trying to get US to sell them the university. We're not sales people :p Anyway, moving interstate is a choice you have to make. I did it, and alot of uni kids do it at ANU. So it's not like being a border at high school where it would be 95% international kids
This guy has a point, after all the majority of the people on this site are in or just our of high school, and are mostly from Sydney, so we aren't going to know too much about the calibre of a law degree, especially if it's in another state. It's all good and well to seek some advice here, but don't let this be all of your research ( I know it isn't, you're attempting to get into law, so you're obviously of a considerable intelect), maybe try and contact some of the major law firms in Sydney i.e Clayton Utz etc, and ask them some questions about uni's.

themonalisa

HSC
yes I see what your saying, and this isnt the only research im doing on the uni. I just wanted to hear another perspective.

the reason i asked this question is that i am aware that ANU Law students are trying to push for massive reforms in their courses, and many have even claimed that ANU professors are more concentrated on their phd research then their students.

If there is an overwhelming majority like this in a research based university - then are undergraduate law students wasting their time there?

will i get a better law education in a less renowned university that focuses more on teaching than research?

Sammy-Blue

HSC
yes I see what your saying, and this isnt the only research im doing on the uni. I just wanted to hear another perspective.

the reason i asked this question is that i am aware that ANU Law students are trying to push for massive reforms in their courses, and many have even claimed that ANU professors are more concentrated on their phd research then their students.

If there is an overwhelming majority like this in a research based university - then are undergraduate law students wasting their time there?

will i get a better law education in a less renowned university that focuses more on teaching than research?
Short answer, no.

Long answer, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)