Is anyone doing a combined MBBS degree? (1 Viewer)

isuru

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone was doing or considering doing an BA/MBBS or another combined MBBS degree (other than BSc or BMedSc)? If so:
-what is the other degree that you are concurrently doing?
-what are your reasons for doing the other degree?
-what are you majoring in for the other degree (eg major for Arts)?
-how do you hope to combine/apply what you learnt in the other degree to what you do in an MBBS and beyond?
-are you overloading? and if so what % per semester?

I'm very new to this, so the above might be silly questions, but I'd be interested in reading some answers.

Cheers
Isuru

turtleface

HSC
I aint doing any med degree, so I can't help you, but I'd like to add that anyone choosing to do MBBS/BA over BSc/MBBS or BMedSci/MBBS or just MBBS by itself, has mental issues.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm not sure on this point but I heard USYD is offering B.Mus./M.B.B.S. as of next year (or even this year maybe, but I'm not sure), and that Monash has a potential M.B.B.S./L.L.B. (I saw this on some random page in the Monash website)

Are you thinking of doing Arts specifically with Medicine, or because that's the only combination you've heard of? (that's the only one I heard of till late last year). I would think anyone doing a M.B.B.S., let alone a combined degree, should be congratulated. If I had the chance (and the interest) I would've done a combined degree for the all-roundedness, since the entry requirements, as far as I know, are the same for both the M.B.B.S. and B.A/M.B.B.S. (bit like combined law)

isuru

HSC
N/A
Well I'm doing a combined BMedSc/MBBS degree at UTAS. I guess in terms of combined degress with MBBS, Science is the most common one. I'm interested to know the reasons behind people doing a combined degree other than Sc/MBBS and how they hope to use the knowledge they've gained in their other degree in their MBBS degree (that is if they hope to do that at all).

Cheers
Isuru

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Diversification of knowledge. No doubt, (when doing BA or LLB) they would be following an unrelated (to MBBS) passion. One for which they have no aspirations to assist in their knowledge and application of medicine. The plus in the BSc would be the Honours year which may let them apply their research later in medicine (as you are no doubt aware).

:) You've got combined degree fever, isuru. I'm seeing this popping up everywhere :D.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
isuru said:

1. -what is the other degree that you are concurrently doing?
2. -what are your reasons for doing the other degree?
3. -what are you majoring in for the other degree (eg major for Arts)?
4. -how do you hope to combine/apply what you learnt in the other degree to what you do in an MBBS and beyond?
5. -are you overloading? and if so what % per semester?
Hey, I'm doing the BA/MBBS (1) combined degree at UNSW. I'm in first year so I don't officially start the arts component until next year (and while I'm not currently taking an arts course I'm doing enough interest inspired reading to make it seem like it :p).

(2) I'm doing the other degree out of interest and also because of my ideals about education. I'm a strong advocate of people studying what they have a passion or an interest for and so the vocational approach to university bugs me. Medicine fascinates me but I also have strong interests in areas like philosophy, mathematics and physics which I want to pursue - I figured the combined degree was a good way to facilitate this.

(3) I intend to major in philosophy. It would be nice to slip in a 2xxx math course or two if they let me (and that's if they even allow non-arts faculty courses) but failing that I'll probably pad the philosophy with politics. Depending on how I feel in a few years time I might even replace the MBBS research (ILP) year with an arts (honours) one.

(4) The thinking skills developed in philosophy complement most academic pursuits, though strong relativism (i.e. denial of absolute truth) can act as something of a hinderance to science. In particular I have an interest in ethics which becomes extremely relevant once you get into bioethics. Things like abortion, gene therapy, stem cell research, euthanasia, etc. bring up some messy ethical issues and it'd be nice to be able to take part in those debates - studying philosophy should help give me the background and vocabulary with which to do so.

(5) At UNSW the standard is 24 CP per semester. In second year the MBBS students are required to take two gen. ed. courses which amounts to an extra 3 CP each semester. Those in the BA/MBBS stream take two arts courses instead so they do 30 CP each semester rather than 27 CP. Depending on the subject taken and your level of interest it doesn't necesarily add that much extra work.

Hopefully that's the kind of stuff you were after. If you want me to elaborate on anything let me know.

lala2

Banned
HSC
So you'd be majoring in philosophy in your arts degree? Any minors on the side?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If there were to be a minor it'd probably be from something like politics, linguistics or political economy. Keep in mind that we only get 66 credit points to play around with (the rest is supposedly made up by medical ethics and communication content in the med course). Given that I'd like to keep philosophy honours open as an option and the requirements for that include 54 CP of philosophy I might not get to do much else.

isuru

HSC
N/A
petar13 said:
Diversification of knowledge. No doubt, (when doing BA or LLB) they would be following an unrelated (to MBBS) passion. One for which they have no aspirations to assist in their knowledge and application of medicine. The plus in the BSc would be the Honours year which may let them apply their research later in medicine (as you are no doubt aware).

:) You've got combined degree fever, isuru. I'm seeing this popping up everywhere :D.
Haha, yeah. It's just interesting for me I guess :). I admire those that have taken a program such as BA/MBBS because they are studying two fields, (not necessaarily linked) at the one time.

isuru

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
Hey, I'm doing the BA/MBBS (1) combined degree at UNSW. I'm in first year so I don't officially start the arts component until next year (and while I'm not currently taking an arts course I'm doing enough interest inspired reading to make it seem like it :p).

(2) I'm doing the other degree out of interest and also because of my ideals about education. I'm a strong advocate of people studying what they have a passion or an interest for and so the vocational approach to university bugs me. Medicine fascinates me but I also have strong interests in areas like philosophy, mathematics and physics which I want to pursue - I figured the combined degree was a good way to facilitate this.

(3) I intend to major in philosophy. It would be nice to slip in a 2xxx math course or two if they let me (and that's if they even allow non-arts faculty courses) but failing that I'll probably pad the philosophy with politics. Depending on how I feel in a few years time I might even replace the MBBS research (ILP) year with an arts (honours) one.

(4) The thinking skills developed in philosophy complement most academic pursuits, though strong relativism (i.e. denial of absolute truth) can act as something of a hinderance to science. In particular I have an interest in ethics which becomes extremely relevant once you get into bioethics. Things like abortion, gene therapy, stem cell research, euthanasia, etc. bring up some messy ethical issues and it'd be nice to be able to take part in those debates - studying philosophy should help give me the background and vocabulary with which to do so.

(5) At UNSW the standard is 24 CP per semester. In second year the MBBS students are required to take two gen. ed. courses which amounts to an extra 3 CP each semester. Those in the BA/MBBS stream take two arts courses instead so they do 30 CP each semester rather than 27 CP. Depending on the subject taken and your level of interest it doesn't necesarily add that much extra work.

Hopefully that's the kind of stuff you were after. If you want me to elaborate on anything let me know.
Hey, thanks for the reply was very informative :). That's fantastic that you are pursuing things such as Maths and Philosophy throughout uni. I always enjoyed Maths, but I don't get to do it to the level that I would like while studying MBBS.

BTW, how many CPs do you need for a minor vs a major? </n00b question>

Good luck with your studies :)

Anyone else doing a BA/MBBS?

black_raven777

HSC
I agree Kfunk - particularly with 2) - I'm not at uni yet, but would love to start the BA/MBBS because I think it would give you a break from medicine, which can be a pretty intense course. That was the thinking behind me taking Modern History over Extension 2 Maths, just gives you a broader outlook on life and a more "well-rounded" education.

mangela

HSC
hey, yeah I only really became interested in doing med towards the end of this year and am deferring next year. i figured id sit the UMAT next year and apply for arts/med at UNSW. whats the arts like at UNSW? i've heard their med faculty is fantastic but does anyone have any insight on the arts? in partiuclar international relations and theatre studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)