is bacl2 the same as ba(cl)2? (1 Viewer)

krystalkay

HSC
Title says it all.
I got confused when my friend asked me cause doesnt the bracket just mean lots of?
as in ()2 means 2lots of doesnt it?

deswa1

HSC
Yes ()2 means two lots of whats in the brackets but you wouldn't write it like this. The correct thing is just BaCl2 (also note capitals).

You use the brackets when you have more than one of something that has more than one element- for example Barium Nitrate would be Ba(NO3)2

krystalkay

HSC
Like just saying if u accodentally write it that way, but technically its not wrong right...?
not saying I'm going to but, just saying in test condition ppl might accidentally do it

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
Like just saying if u accodentally write it that way, but technically its not wrong right...?
not saying I'm going to but, just saying in test condition ppl might accidentally do it
not wrong, but what's the point of writing it like that?

2xL

HSC
Not according to my chem teacher. Lost half mark in the half yearlies cos of it, wrote Zn(Cl)2 from memory. in fairness quite a stupid way of writing it on my behalf..but i didn't see why it was "wrong". Oh well.

umm what

Banned
HSC
N/A
Not according to my chem teacher. Lost half mark in the half yearlies cos of it, wrote Zn(Cl)2 from memory. in fairness quite a stupid way of writing it on my behalf..but i didn't see why it was "wrong". Oh well.
WHy the hell would you put brackets?!

zhiying

HSC
Treat it like math, you wont write x^2 as (x)^2, but you can write x^2y^2 as (xy)^2

HSC
are teacher considers it wrong to put inappropriate brackets. So i would just naturally assume that is BaCl2

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
the brackets is used when u have more than one element in the mix, it's sorta like Fe (iii) combining with SO4 2-, u can't give the individual compositions of SO4 a 3 charge but the whole thing gets it so u get Fe2(SO4)3
However if it's Ba (pos 2) and Cl (neg 1), either way is correct in a sense, BaCl2 or Ba(Cl)2, however having said that i would go with BaCl2, since some markers would take marks off cause maybe you haven't simplified the form

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ba(Cl)2 is technically incorrect based on the rules (like above), if you do Ba(Cl)2, you should lose a mark.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
It would be yes but i just remember your meant to give it in the simplest form, just don't remember if there is strings or rules attached to the formalilty

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)