Is cramming effective? (1 Viewer)

hopsin

HSC
What are your experiences with cramming? Has it been effective to you or has it been detrimental to your grades? Personally I find that I constantly have to cram for tests and assignments due to procrastination and bad time-management and the added pressure just skyrockets my productivity. So far I've been getting straight As but I will probably find a balance between consistent studying + cramming for the end of year exams.

what about you guys? anyone else cram? what "techniques" do you use?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
In high school I crammed all the time. It worked in getting a pass, anything above that was rare.

I don't do it any more because it is super stressful and tbh I like learning (and not shoving 3 months worth of notes into my brain just before the exam).

At least 90% of my class mates appear to be cramming for exams, and proper exam prep would probably be why I am topping them all in every exam.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I think it has its merits. Short term it obviously works, although in the long term you won't retain most of that info.

It will also depend on the subject. Cramming mathematics is not the best idea etc.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Cramming always helps but you need regular study as well

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Cramming only works for rote-learnable subjects such as Sciences (to an extent) and Histories.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
If you do your homework every week and cram last few days - you can still get a really solid mark.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Cramming isn't in depth learning. So obviously, if you want that information to stay in your brain, it is best not to do this.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
In high school I crammed all the time. It worked in getting a pass, anything above that was rare.

I don't do it any more because it is super stressful and tbh I like learning (and not shoving 3 months worth of notes into my brain just before the exam).

At least 90% of my class mates appear to be cramming for exams, and proper exam prep would probably be why I am topping them all in every exam.
Pretty much this.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Cramming works great for most assessments, but if you do it all the time you will be screwed for trials. (Too many large content exams around the same time to be able to cram them)

RishBonjour

HSC
I crammed for half yearlies

as people said, it only works for sciences and stuff not maths (which I did horrible in, but the rest 90+ )

BUT. not planning to do the same for trials

hopsin

HSC
So what if it is for short-term memory only. Cramming obviously won't help you retain the information in 6 months time but that isn't the point of the HSC. The HSC is just obtaining a mark.. therefore I think that it is more better to cram for the HSC then for Uni. But I'm aiming to not cram for the end-of-year exams - way too stressful.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
TBH, cramming is a technique some are better at doing than other, and like most people will ask is this effective or that effective, find what you feel comfortable with and work with it, because everyones different

HSC
From personal experiences, cramming is alright just before an exam if you have been listening to class the whole year and have consistently done hw. It's not the best way of course, but it can work.

hopsin

HSC
It might not work but it seems to be a very popular technique.. I find that students who tend to study consistently in Year 12 end up cramming in Uni, which is stupid considering that your UNI marks are more important than HSC marks.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
It might not work but it seems to be a very popular technique.. I find that students who tend to study consistently in Year 12 end up cramming in Uni, which is stupid considering that your UNI marks are more important than HSC marks.
Thanks for letting everyone know, I am sure that many of us will now ensure that doesn't happen to us :)

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Cramming isn't in depth learning. So obviously, if you want that information to stay in your brain, it is best not to do this.
yes exactly i don't give a shit about quotes from george orwell's essays besides for the hsc. it doesn't matter if you forget it all.
while i didn't get a great atar (read: 75.6) it wouldn't've been nearly as good as that if i hadn't crammed. it's not my study habits, it's the fact that i'm retarded as shit

Cramming only works for rote-learnable subjects such as Sciences (to an extent) and Histories.
nope, you can very easily cram english quotes-- which is basically all you need for english. if it's the last thought going into the exam then chances are you're not really going to forget it.

b10
fuck you
same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)