Is doing three sciences without mathematics unwise? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
Hello all,

I am considering studying physics, chemistry and biology without mathematics. My subjects would be:
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • English Advanced
  • Hospitality
  • Italian
  • Physics
  • Studies of Religion I
I've already established that it is possible to succeed in physics without doing mathematics, but what about for all three sciences?

What I'm more interested in is how other people coped with doing three sciences, with or without mathematics. Was it too difficult? Was it fun? Did you cope?

I am sorry if there are threads on this topic already. If there are, please either answer here or direct me to another thread (with a link please).

Thank you.

James

mattparis

HSC
hi James,

i just completed VCE and did Bio, Chem, Phys , Meth , Spec and Eng.

I believe it is possible to take three science subjects, esp Chem and Physics as they overlap in some areas.

Regarding the mathematics side, biol requires none, and whilst some areas of maths such as trig graphs and derivatives of these appear in physics, it is very possible to succeed without them. Unit 3 chem relies a lot on stoichiometry, but that's mostly basic substitution and simple arithmetic.

Personally, being more maths/science orientated, i didnt mind it at all.

Good luck

fliick

HSC
N/A
Bio - meh is a different science.

But I found that physics, chemistry and 2U maths complemented eachother. Thoroughly understanding intergration, functions, exponentials, logs, trig and all calculus makes it way easier to understand.

Take the maths. If you want to persue a career in science, chances are you'll need maths on there to back it up. And atleast 2U, damn veggie maths.

Mainly excellent in physics formula-wise.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Hello all,

I am considering studying physics, chemistry and biology without mathematics. My subjects would be:
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • English Advanced
  • Hospitality
  • Italian
  • Physics
  • Studies of Religion I
I've already established that it is possible to succeed in physics without doing mathematics, but what about for all three sciences?

What I'm more interested in is how other people coped with doing three sciences, with or without mathematics. Was it too difficult? Was it fun? Did you cope?

I am sorry if there are threads on this topic already. If there are, please either answer here or direct me to another thread (with a link please).

Thank you.

James
I only did Chemistry and Physics but I can assure that Biology has less maths component in it than those two.
In terms of maths, Physics>Chemistry
The required knowledge in terms of mathematics is really Year 10 maths because about all you need is substitution and rearranging.
However, I guess doing 2 unit maths can help as it might allow you to do maths more often (extra practice, I guess?).

But as I stated above, HSC sciences don't have much maths in it, although in this year's HSC, maths components were over-emphasised. These may be a chance that maths can be an important focus as well from now on. (Still the same stuff though, not particularly harder than before. Just more maths problems)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Pretty much no maths in biology but there are calculations in chemistry that involve realising which formula to use, substituion and rearranging. However the formulae are not given on a sheet like physics so you'll need to memorise them.

I believe you'll be fine so long as you can subtitute and rearrange :)

Schoey93

HSC
Bio - meh is a different science.

But I found that physics, chemistry and 2U maths complemented eachother. Thoroughly understanding intergration, functions, exponentials, logs, trig and all calculus makes it way easier to understand.

Take the maths. If you want to persue a career in science, chances are you'll need maths on there to back it up. And atleast 2U, damn veggie maths.

Mainly excellent in physics formula-wise.
That's not true. Employers won't look at your HSC after you've done a university course (generally) and I will probably do maths there. I just want a two year break from maths, or at least a break from maths in school... I might do some at home.

fliick

HSC
N/A
hi James,

i just completed VCE and did Bio, Chem, Phys , Meth , Spec and Eng.

Personally, being more maths/science orientated, i didnt mind it at all.

Good luck
Hahaha :D

But yes. James, do maths. (If you want.)

Last edited:

fliick

HSC
N/A
That's not true. Employers won't look at your HSC after you've done a university course (generally) and I will probably do maths there. I just want a two year break from maths, or at least a break from maths in school... I might do some at home.
I know employers won't care, but some uni courses require a minimum of nUnit Maths.
After like 3 years in some direction, no one gives a shit what ATAR you got.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
But chances are you would struggle jumping from year 10 maths to University maths. It's big jump from year 10 advanced to year 11 2unit itself.

Schoey93

HSC
But chances are you would struggle jumping from year 10 maths to University maths. It's big jump from year 10 advanced to year 11 2unit itself.
Well, I doubt I will do a Bachelor of Mathematics. I would like to do medicine/surgery, physio or health sciences, none of which have mathematics as assumed knowledge. (It is recommended for physio and some health sciences courses.)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I know employers won't care, but some uni courses require a minimum of nUnit Maths.
After like 3 years in some direction, no one gives a shit what ATAR you got.
I feel like a broken record but once again, very very few courses have pre-requisites. You will struggle in some courses if you have not taken maths but you do not need to have done the subject in the HSC to actually get in in the first place. You can easily take bridging/summerschool courses to fill in the knowledge that you missed out on, though they are very intense courses.

Last edited:

kyokaku92

HSC
If you hated maths in yr 7-10 don't bother wasting your time doing it (unless your school forces you to pick a maths subject). I do Chem and the only maths you need to be able to do is calculate moles/concentration/particles etc. etc using particular formulas

bob fossil

HSC
There were a few guys that did a low level of maths in year 7-10 and then took on chem and gen or no maths. They really struggled with mole concept and heat differances. The ones that wanted to do it had to put more work in and they got there, the rest dropped out.

If you wanna do well at something you will. Imo anyone can do 3unit maths if they set their mind to it.

Jaylee42003

HSC
In prelim, I started out with all three sciences, and mathematics. I found the time needed to be spent on mathematics to do well (in conjunction with the 3 sciences) was too demanding so I dropped down to general. I was fine with my sciences without maths.

Jacob1991

HSC
chemistry and physics nowdays require a VERY MINIMAL level of maths, so u'll be fine as long as u know ur yr 10 (or even lower ) maths well.

untouchablecuz

HSC
Hello all,

• Biology
  • Chemistry
  • English Advanced
  • Hospitality
  • Italian
  • Physics
  • Studies of Religion I

Thank you.

James
well, i've found that maths (3u and 4u) has helped me quite a bit in physics; to such an extent that i didn't even need to do "practice questions" but could practically wing exams

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)