is ESL really easy? (1 Viewer)

moniyoo

HSC
what so you do in ESL
is it similar to standard eng?
like creative writing and related text essays etc?
i heard it scales the same with standard eng is it true?>
if i say i want to drop down to ESL whould you recommend?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you are eligible for ESL most people reccomend doing it UNLESS you are capable and interested in doing extension english. Since you are in standard at the moment, or will be in standard i highly suggest you drop to ESL. The structure of the course is pretty similiar among ESL, Standard and Advanced so you will have to write essays and stuff, but im not sure about related texts. There is also some kind of listening component to it and less modules as a whole, other people might be able to elaborate. It does not scale the same as Standard Eng, it scales far better - closer to advanced english and not only that it is practically impossible to get a band 6 in standard and hard to get even a band 5 due to the poor aligning. From what i have seen some of the set texts are the same as advanced (selected poems of emily dickinson for eg) but thats nothing to be worried about. Less than 0.2% of people sitting the standard test got a band 6 in 2010 and around 4% got band 5 but for esl 3.6% got band 6 and 21.7% got band 5.

muzeikchun852

HSC
If you are eligible for ESL most people reccomend doing it UNLESS you are capable and interested in doing extension english. Since you are in standard at the moment, or will be in standard i highly suggest you drop to ESL. The structure of the course is pretty similiar among ESL, Standard and Advanced so you will have to write essays and stuff, but im not sure about related texts. There is also some kind of listening component to it and less modules as a whole, other people might be able to elaborate. It does not scale the same as Standard Eng, it scales far better - closer to advanced english and not only that it is practically impossible to get a band 6 in standard and hard to get even a band 5 due to the poor aligning. From what i have seen some of the set texts are the same as advanced (selected poems of emily dickinson for eg) but thats nothing to be worried about. Less than 0.2% of people sitting the standard test got a band 6 in 2010 and around 4% got band 5 but for esl 3.6% got band 6 and 21.7% got band 5.
yeah what s/he said. plus you only do two modules compare with the mainstream's three modules.

I would said more and less the workload is pretty much the same. (compare with what I did in prelim advanced) it's not significantly easier but easier than mainstream for sure.

lydia1992

scientificfield
HSC
Uni Grad
you can't do english ESL unless you've been in australian less then 5 years ....it's not for everyone mate!!!!

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad
i am doing esl and i find it easy, but some of my classmates think i should be doing advanced instead tho

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you can't do english ESL unless you've been in australian less then 5 years ....it's not for everyone mate!!!!
than*
less than 5 years of education in Australia or another English-speaking country*

Weasel406

HSC
Uni Grad
Definitely drop to ESL. It would be like a gift to you. Easier than standard english with much better scaling.

EDIT: though some uni courses might require standard or above? don't quote me on that, just thought I may have read it in another thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)