Is exercising bad 2-3 hours before you go to sleep? Also eating before sleep. (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
My dad seems to have the perception that it's not allowed to exercise late as the body needs to rest when it's dark. I go to sleep at 1am+ and say, it's 11pm now and my dad keeps shouting at me saying that I'm completely damaging my body, how he used to be a speed skater and that he knows better.
He also believes that before sleep, it is bad to eat (even a protein drink). Is this wrong?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
i dunno who that is. stop being so huge. its fucking up the thread.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
that chick from rosanne. shes bigger than godzilla. i think her theme song to the show was 'rarr im rosanna. which way to tokyo'

davo_

good kid
HSC
Exercise increases your heart rate: your heartrate is low when you rest/sleep. So exercising late can fuck with your sleeping pattern which I spose incurs other problems... I think the eating thing has been gone over, and is kind of obvious really when you think about it. However I would have thought that the protein shouldn't be too bad.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
but im sure the heart rate decreases in 2 hours :p
The wierd thing is that ive heard of many physicians recommending sex before sleep: that raises your hR.

santaslayer

HSC
If you exercise before sleeping then you may find it hard to sleep at all since you're all worked up. You may be physically tired (your eyes keep trying to close) but you're still mentally psyched.

I've was told the eating bit is a myth...but have no real idea.

chesseANDbacon

HSC
well Oprah said that she lost weight cos she made sure she ate before 7:30 every night. Its got something to do with metabolism, u cant eat before you sleep cos then it cant digest the food properly? im not too sure though.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
in the short term, exercising 2-3 hours before you go to sleep will just make u more alert, with eating before bed-time - better not, because of indigestion

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
ChrisE said:
if it was bad to exercise at night then why is much of todays professional sport played at nght time?
More viewers. That's the only reason that I can think of. :p

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
chesseANDbacon said:
well Oprah said that she lost weight cos she made sure she ate before 7:30 every night. Its got something to do with metabolism, u cant eat before you sleep cos then it cant digest the food properly? im not too sure though.
oprah says alot of things... most of which involve "here have a computer"...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i cant believe you dont know. u have sports in your nick.
and im not paying my doctor money. he's not even a real doctor. he's only good for fake medical certificates.

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
Hey, we must share the same doctor. All mine knows how to do is fake medical certificates and suggest panadol as a solution for everything from a cold to cancer. As for the eating/exercising before you sleep, I always eat about half an hour before going to bed and I'm still twig skinny. Exercise would only screw you over if you're doing it at 2 or 3 in the morning. Not too good for your cicadian rhythm.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
When you say exercise, are you referring to resistance training? If so, you shouldn't be training before bed because that would mean you are not following correct post-workout protocol. After you train you should be having a shake with water, dextrose, maltodextrin and sodium. It should take you 1 hr to drink this. An hour after FINISHING your shake, you should then be having a balanced meal. Thus, if you are referring to weight training, you shouldnt be able to train just before bed for these reasons.

However, if you are referring to cardio or other training, I wouldn't recommend training right before bed as you may find it difficult to sleep, and thus your rest and consequently ability to recover is negatively affected.

Also, why are you going to bed at 1am? Unless you dont have to wake until 9 - 10am then you should definitely be getting to bed earlier!!

Not being able to eat before bed is a myth. I strongly recommend that you eat before bed. And as I am pretty sure, you are weight training, and aiming to increase lean body mass, you dont want you body to be neglected of nutrient throughout the night. Therefore, before bed I recommend you consume:

1. A slow-digesting protein source. Although whey might be easier, you should really cut out the protein shake here. It is a fast digesting protein and will do little to supply sustained amino acids to your body. It is in the morning that you should have this, because its fast digesting characteristic ensure it assists in quickly taking from a catabolic to an anobolic state. I do however, recommend you have cottage cheese. It consists of a casein protein which is slow digesting.

2. A carb source. You dont need a lot of carbs before bed, as you wont be buring many calories while sleeping. However consuming carbs will assist in the proper digestion and absorbtion of your amino acids. Once again, its should be slow digesting, i.e. low glycemic. Porridge and/or green leafy vegies could be consumed.

3. Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). EFAs slow the digestion process, as fats are digested much more slowly than protein or carbs. The best way to achieve a good amount of EFAs here would be with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thanks mate, i was hoping you would see this thread :)
I usually have a hectic day and leave the resistance training till late. Will try to reorganise my day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)