is free GPS possible on your phone? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
i'm thinking of buying the nokia N78 which includes GPS but is it possible to get free GPS by downloading certain prgrams onto it?

I don't want to pay a subscription and i already have a tom tom but i would really like to get free stuff on the phone

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
GPS doesn't cost anything. There is no such thing as a subscription. The exception might be if the phone needs to download the map, but that's a data cost.
Not entirely sure. But i heard that when using the GPS, its constantly downloading maps as its moving, and every map costs money, so yeh. Not entirely a reliable source.

TheFeared

HSC
Well if you want something that doesnt move and takes up heaps of space and time, you could always take a close up pictures of google earth and stitch them together and put it in as a JPEG. Or get a 6110 navigator, i think its like $299

HSC
N/A
Not entirely sure. But i heard that when using the GPS, its constantly downloading maps as its moving, and every map costs money, so yeh. Not entirely a reliable source.
my friend tells me that you can download pre-maps from the net and install it.
there's a fee for spoken nagivation but soundless doesnt cost money, can someone confirm this?

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!

This is what I use on my mobile (Nokia 6288). But keep in mind that it's not GPS, it's just google maps saved on to your phone.

Edit: weird, at first glance it seems that it no longer supports google maps (only Yahoo maps, MSN Virtual Earth etc now)? I saved a big chunk of Sydney almost a year back and they let me use google maps back then :S.

Last edited:

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
The GPS on nokia phones are useless. Using GPS is free, however your service provide will charge you like mad for data (downloading the map)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Every phone may be different. I wouldn't discount him as a source.

I know my iPhone has no additional charge to use GPS, just the data cost which is built into my contract.

HSC
N/A
I know my iPhone has no additional charge to use GPS, just the data cost which is built into my contract.
What does data cost involve?

does anyone here use Garmin Mobile XT, i heard its a program that you buy and there are no yearly or monthly subscriptions unlike the nokia map service, so you be actually saving heaps

jannny

HSC
get nokia 6110, it has been a really life saver of mine =). The only downturn is it could take a while to actually start locating ur position and guiding you to location you want. But sometimes this is not the case and its free too.

HSC
N/A
get nokia 6110, it has been a really life saver of mine =). The only downturn is it could take a while to actually start locating ur position and guiding you to location you want. But sometimes this is not the case and its free too.
yeh i was about to get that phone but the thing is you cant update recent maps unless your willing to pay for it.

here's something you guys might be interested

Nokia N78 N79 N81 N95 N82 N96 GPS Navigation Software - eBay, Other Mobile Accessories, Mobile Accessories, Phones. (end time 26-Feb-09 20:37:40 AEDST)

for only $28.99 you get:

2009 Full Australia Map
Free Voice Navigation (over 40 different languages)
Oct 2008 Speed/Red Camera Warning(Aus + NZ)
Free 2010/ 2011 map upgrade

'$0 to pay! Absolutely free to use in future! Remove SIM Card and still working!
No Data Charge! No license fee! No subscription fee!'

i love ebay =)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a Nokia N73 and I also have Nokia maps instaleld on it. The maps themselves can be downloaded directly from Nokia through the "Nokia Map Loader" application available on the Nokia site. All you need is a compatible Nokia S60 phone (N series, Eseries etc.) and a USB cable to download the maps to your phone for Nokia maps. Otherwise your phone will use the network to download the maps which is very costly.
I also bought an external bluetooth Nokia LD-3W GPS receiver to use with Nokia Maps but I didn't pay for the subscription fee so I don't have navigation so my phone acts only as a tracking device and that's about it. But it will however do routing for the route you want go, but will not show a live status on the GPS (eg. telling you to turn in 100 meters).

HSC
N/A
hey guys, i got the phone this week and recently installed garmin mobile XT which includes free voice navigation the whole lot, without having to pay a single cent, though it did take to almost 4hrs to figure how to install it for free.

If anyone's interested, i can give you the link, i think it works for most phones

MrZomg

HSC
N/A
Also try Route 66 and TomTom maps on ur nokia, the default nokia maps are shabby requiring monthly/yearly subscription......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)