Is French Beginners a good course to select? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm not completely sure about what i want to do for in my senior years and i was wondering if french beginners was a good subject. is it?

Last edited:

justxlouise

HSC
Haha I was talking to my friend one day and this is how it went:

Me: maybe i should do french ..
Him: yeah, do french .. it scales good
Me: french beginners ..
Him: NOO !!!! french beginners scales so shit

When I did French 2 years ago, it was sooo easy

HSC
thankyou! so..i dnt think i'll pick it. i thought a language would be different but oh well... =]

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Your not picking it just because of the scaling...?!
haha. nono. it was just a consideration. im so clueless but scaling isnt high in my priority list.

HSC
hmm. i gess im more interested in legal studies.
french is good but im not completely into it. i just wanted to know if people generalli enjoyed the subject. =]

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
You're also considering Legal Studies, that scales almost the same...
i think legal scaled was ike 25.7
and french 27.4

something like that anyway

HSC
languages r pretty good. i like them. its just i dnt noe if im prepared to do it for my senior yrs..hsc n stuff. so its rlly a case of my interest in it.

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
Looking at resources on this site, French Beginners is lower, shrug.
i read the uai scaling report..and im going to guess that the report is more accurate..

continuers and extension have good scaling

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
xXmuffin0manXx said:
i read the uai scaling report..and im going to guess that the report is more accurate..

continuers and extension have good scaling
Sorry mate, I do not know what you are talking about but the most recent scaling for French Beginners is 24.6 which is actually lower than Legal Studies. I looked at it too. I guess I am more accurate in that regards.

And in usual sense, the scaling for Language subjects vary greatly year to year.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
I'm doing Japanese Continuers this year and I must say, as this applies to all languages, you must be very VERY VERY VERY (I can't emphasise that enough) dedicated to the subject. It takes up ALOT of study time and sometimes the scaling is pretty dung. But I guess, as long as you enjoy it, you should have fun eh?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to do a language do Latin. (people with high UAIs seem to do it)

shimmer205

HSC
Hey, I actually DO french beginners, and I would say that it's a fairly interesting subject, if you want to learn the language. And as for the person who just said that you would need to be really dedicated, I couldn't disagree more. There is probably a big gap in workload in beginners and continuers, but I would not worry about French beginner's workload. I plan to drop it, so I do next to no work, but still manage to get by third in my class. It's easy, just remember the rules.
I'm dropping it because I like my other subjects more, not because it's a bad subject, or because of scaling (Art scales worse than French).
If you want something a bit different that you haven't tried before, it's fun to have a go at. You can always drop.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think starting a language is much easier than continuing personally. Having no knowledge is actually quite easy if you are willing to learn and study your content well. If you were to do French continuers it would be much harder because of all the continued skills and complex sentences and words. I did german for year 9-10 and it was not the first time I'd had it so it was partly continuing and I didn't want to continue on in year 11 because I know it gets THAT much harder.

I would rather have the skills in a different language and start over :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I think starting a language is much easier than continuing personally. Having no knowledge is actually quite easy if you are willing to learn and study your content well. If you were to do French continuers it would be much harder because of all the continued skills and complex sentences and words. I did german for year 9-10 and it was not the first time I'd had it so it was partly continuing and I didn't want to continue on in year 11 because I know it gets THAT much harder.

I would rather have the skills in a different language and start over :D
If only I realised this before choosing Japanese Cont. I knew I should've done Chem!

shimmer205

HSC
It's true that beginners is heaps easier than continuers, but the flipside is that beginners scales crappily.

agua.fuego

HSC
I did French for 3 years (8 - 10), and it's a really easy course to do... once you learn the basics you're pretty much golden.

On the scaling note (coming from the person who knows NOTHING about scaling) I thought languages would scale you up?? Not sure though...

But languages are fun to learn... easier with a teacher (talking about Distance Ed here) but nevertheless fun.

agua.fuego

HSC
Aquawhite said:
I think starting a language is much easier than continuing personally.I would rather have the skills in a different language and start over :D
Yeah, continuing on in a language IS difficult... our entire French class dropped it for Year 11 and 12, mainly choosing Italian and, in my odd-one-out case, Spanish. We were all basically screaming, "NOOOOOO!!! Why?! WHY ARE YOU SO HARD TO LEARN NOW!!!!" come Year 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)