Is it okay to drop Maths completely? (1 Viewer)

Jakulore

HSC
Hey! So I just recently got the results back for my Preliminaries and as expected my worst subject was Adv Maths. I barely passed Adv Maths, where as for my other subjects I got: 91 in English Advanced (Rank 1), 85 in English Ext 1 (Rank 1), 86 in Biology (Rank 1), 92 in Food Tech (Rank 2), 87 in Ancient History (Rank 3) and 72 in Legal Studies (Rank 4 or 5)? I've always done maths, but I wish to do Law in University and I am aware that Math is not a prerequisite so it is just holding me back, but... Is it okay to drop? Or is it needed for my ATAR?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Only English is compulsory towards an ATAR. You can drop mathematics.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Rank/Cohort size in each subject/school rank?

Look at topscores, and find out proportion of people getting band 6s in each of your subjects.

atargainz

HSC
just drop it, if i'm counting right you have 13 units and you're gunning them all except math

Jakulore

HSC
Yeah, I also picked up History Ext for Year 12. Alright, I'll drop Maths, I knew I could do it but I didn't know whether it would be a good decision, though I'm pretty sure I will just drop it, I really hate Maths, so I can't put the effort in like I do with my other subjects.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I picked up Ext History for year 12 and also dropped maths, just do it :chainsaw:

crowley926

HSC
Drop it. You don't need it and it's weighing you down. Don't worry you don't need Maths to get 99.50+ either (that's assuming you want to go to usyd or unsw).

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
@OP

You can go drop down to gen. Maths

That might make it easier for you .

If you hate maths that much then drop it

Last edited:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Maths is the same as doing any other subject, be it history, science or even construction. That's why English is the only compulsory subject. Most degrees such as Medicine and Law do not require maths, and you will only need maths if you want to pursue commerce/business degrees, and advanced maths for most engineering degrees. If you change your mind, or want to pair law with business/comm you can always complete a bridging course.

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Maths is the same as doing any other subject, be it history, science or even construction. That's why English is the only compulsory subject. Most degrees such as Medicine and Law do not require maths, and you will only need maths if you want to pursue commerce/business degrees, and advanced maths for most engineering degrees. If you change your mind, or want to pair law with business/comm you can always complete a bridging course.
extension 1 mafs is assumed

Jakulore

HSC
Thanks for the help, I will definitely drop Maths. My School's career's adviser was a Maths teacher so her opinions on the matter were somewhat biased, so I'd like to thank everyone for all of the assistance in making this critical decision.

sy37

HSC
No, it's not ok to drop a subject. You will get visit by mr. skeltal if you drop maths and he will steal all your calcium unless you follow his commands and mcdoot this mcpoost

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
No, it's not ok to drop a subject. You will get visit by mr. skeltal if you drop maths and he will steal all your calcium unless you follow his commands and mcdoot this mcpoost
^what the fuck are you high, or are you just mentally retarded?

sy37

HSC
^what the fuck are you high, or are you just mentally retarded?
What outcry have you uttered about my person, you oafish brute? I shall cordially remind you that I was the best scholar in my law class in Oxford, and I have been involved in several frivolous tea parties and courtroom disputes, and I have over 300 boxes of Earl Gray. I am proficient in the Simian school of diplomacy and I am the top linguist in my book club. Know that you resemble nothing in my eyes save for yet another uncultured mind. I will hasten your undisputed expiritation of the world with grace and finesse. The thought that you can retreat after jesting of such matters over the internet is laughable. As of this moment, I am telephoning a mutual friend to negotiate a swift and sure rebuttal to your argument so I would implore you to prepare yourself for the upcoming verbal deluge. The deluge that will no doubt saturate your life with discomfort. You are well and truly wrong, my good sir. My abilities of travel are unmatched, and I can recite over 700 lines from Shakespeare, and that is just from Hamlet. The amount of knowledge that I have acrued is vast, and I shall use it to firmly state my authority on such matters, you rapscallion. Truly, I wished you had some semblance of knowledge on the matter you have brought up and it's repercussions. Alas, you did not, and now you will suffer a fate most dire, you plebian. I shall defecate concentrated dislike upon you and you shall struggle to survive in it's waters. Pistols at dawn, old boy.

MilkyCat_

HSC
What outcry have you uttered about my person, you oafish brute? I shall cordially remind you that I was the best scholar in my law class in Oxford, and I have been involved in several frivolous tea parties and courtroom disputes, and I have over 300 boxes of Earl Gray. I am proficient in the Simian school of diplomacy and I am the top linguist in my book club. Know that you resemble nothing in my eyes save for yet another uncultured mind. I will hasten your undisputed expiritation of the world with grace and finesse. The thought that you can retreat after jesting of such matters over the internet is laughable. As of this moment, I am telephoning a mutual friend to negotiate a swift and sure rebuttal to your argument so I would implore you to prepare yourself for the upcoming verbal deluge. The deluge that will no doubt saturate your life with discomfort. You are well and truly wrong, my good sir. My abilities of travel are unmatched, and I can recite over 700 lines from Shakespeare, and that is just from Hamlet. The amount of knowledge that I have acrued is vast, and I shall use it to firmly state my authority on such matters, you rapscallion. Truly, I wished you had some semblance of knowledge on the matter you have brought up and it's repercussions. Alas, you did not, and now you will suffer a fate most dire, you plebian. I shall defecate concentrated dislike upon you and you shall struggle to survive in it's waters. Pistols at dawn, old boy.
Here is an individual that is suffering from the effects of the HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)