Is it possible to get an ATAR 90+ with low scaling subjects? (1 Viewer)

hakunamatata

HSC
I hope it's the right place to ask this question.
Is it possible to get an atar 90+ with subjects that scale low?
I'm doing art and design&technoligy and I heard that both subjects don't scale very well.
And my other subjects don't have a high scale as well.
The subject with the highest scaling would be maths ext.1 I think...
I'm just worried about not getting a chance to achieve the ATAR that I'm aiming at.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I've tutored students who did pretty low scaling subjects and I myself did Legal Studies and the short answer is yes it's more than possible. I've known many people who've broken 90 ATAR easily with those subjects with some even beating students who did the traditional Physics, Chemistry and other 'High' scaling subjects (trust me I was surprised).

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I've tutored students who did pretty low scaling subjects and I myself did Legal Studies and the short answer is yes it's more than possible. I've known many people who've broken 90 ATAR easily with those subjects with some even beating students who did the traditional Physics, Chemistry and other 'High' scaling subjects (trust me I was surprised).
That's not even that low of a scaler, quite average, but not low by any means.

you can get any atar with any subject combo
Na there's a limit to how much some of the really low scaled subjects can scale to, you can't achieve 99.95 with certain combos even if you state rank 1st in all of them.

kabytto

HSC
Yes but you have to rank pretty high in your "low scaling" subjects.
Happy Studying m8

Bestintheworld

HSC
What? Are you saying that if you do two languages as part of your HSC course, you won't be able to achieve an atar of 90+ ?
No he meant there are 2 languages i.e. Khmer and Filipino and no one in the state doing those subjects were able to get above 90 ATAR in 2014 but I dont think that really means its impossible. Maybe the kids doing those subjects were terrible at it that year lol who knows.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
No he meant there are 2 languages i.e. Khmer and Filipino and no one in the state doing those subjects were able to get above 90 ATAR in 2014 but I dont think that really means its impossible. Maybe the kids doing those subjects were terrible at it that year lol who knows.
and keep in mind <20 people did those subjects (each) that year so it wasn't exactly a large talent pool

Whicanti

HSC
Anything is possible with enough determination and willpower to suceed :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)