is it still plagiarising? (1 Viewer)

avoda28

HSC
is it still plagiarising if i thought of and wrote a story for my creative writing, then when someone read it, they told my it very similar to something else?

i had NO idea when i wrote it and ive gotta hand it in in a week and a half and it has taken me so so long...

:( help!!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
avoda28 said:
is it still plagiarising if i thought of and wrote a story for my creative writing, then when someone read it, they told my it very similar to something else?

i had NO idea when i wrote it and ive gotta hand it in in a week and a half and it has taken me so so long...

:( help!!
NO.

Ask this friend of yours to tell you the name of the story it sounds similar too. Since its the holidays, have a quick read of it and figure it out from there.

Most people get ideas from reading other stories, so there are always some similarities. If everything in your story is the same as the other, change it in some way.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
You don't need to justify your act of academic misconduct to us. Just rehearse and clear up your story for the teacher;)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Also, there are very few original ideas in this world and anyone could be accused of some sort of plagiarism. For goodness sake, I could accuse JKRowling of plagiarising my stuff since I had written my work before I was even aware of hers. But, now she's published and I'm not. ;)

So, what I am saying, people can come up with the same idea at the same time without being influenced by each other. There were two men who "discovered" calculus at the same time and neither knew the other was working on it!

But, yeah, read this other story and then see if you can twist yours just a little to make it more different. But then again, after you read the other story, you may not agree with your friend's comparison.

Good luck.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
alcalder said:
Also, there are very few original ideas in this world and anyone could be accused of some sort of plagiarism. For goodness sake, I could accuse JKRowling of plagiarising my stuff since I had written my work before I was even aware of hers. But, now she's published and I'm not. ;)
Yeah, I invented The Simpsons characters and made a pilot for 'a show about nothing' and called it Seinfield.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
LOLZ. Sorry...

People steal other's ideas all the time and perhaps scientists and novelists must be capitalized first for proving, using, borrowing (and whatever they are justifying for anyone's sake) st that eventually leads to their Nobel prizes, media's attentions and ironically our praises. (We have to say the powers of 'Thank you' and 'I'm sorry' are incredible. Hell no, what does your teacher say about the originality of a story? It's not necessary to be 100% of your own fibres because, to cry out loud, who can prove they are 100% raw of their so-called 'own body' and whatever they're talking or using are of their own creativity? For instance, excuse me, their language is a proof of their plagiarism! No defense! Now they say they're paraphrasing with a divine purpose of contributing to human's value. They're right and you know why.

What you're mistaking to is public or human being's common knowledge. People have similar characteristics and emotions (even two fingerprints can be exactly the same!) so it's inevitably unavoidable to think of yourself as a plagiarist if you're kind of paranoid plus, fortunately, interested in extending your abilities. I used to wonder if my teacher would blame me for writing st similar to a famous story but by the end of the day, she didn't even notice which novel inspired me. It was because whether I was too good at disguising my writing or I actually got my own story. Thus, be smart to clarify which is original inspiration and which is blatant copying.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)