Is it too late to change subjects? (1 Viewer)

PaintItBlack

HSC
Right now, I'm doing one subject which I really, really hate, and am actually failing in, and I want to do another subject which I actually like. The problem is that half-yearlies have already finished, and I think that it's too late to swap. I've been independently studying the subject I want to go in, in accordance to the curriculum, so I don't think that catching-up is a problem.
Is it possible to swap half-way through Year 11 if I can prove to them that I won't fall behind?

Yes, I know that I'm stupid and have bad decision-making skills.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably arrange a meeting with your principal and have your parents attend. It'd be a long stretch but if they can see you will cope with the course fine, maybe you have a chance. The thing is tho, the more time you waste thinking about it, the less chance you're going to have. Then theres the issue with a certain number of prelim hours you have to complete before you can undertake a course in HSC which may be an issue considering you only have a term and a bit of prelim to go.

PaintItBlack

HSC
I have to go that high up? Wouldn't it be alright just to go to the head of faculty and a few teachers?
So if I don't complete a certain amount of hours, I can't do it in the HSC?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I think it's too late. You only have the first 2 weeks to swap, but ask your head teacher or principle anyway.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
I have to go that high up? Wouldn't it be alright just to go to the head of faculty and a few teachers?
So if I don't complete a certain amount of hours, I can't do it in the HSC?
You can check with teachers sure but they aren't gonna approve anything of this sorta unless you get the heads up from the principal. Besides whats wrong with going with to the principal? They have the most influence in a school right so whether it was meant to be or not, you can save heaps of time by just asking him/her directly whether it is okay. With the time think, don't quote me entirely on that. I just remember reading somewhere that you have to complete like at least, for example, 100 hours. If you do approximately 4 hrs a week of that course, well thats approximately 25 weeks to complete the required hours. Maybe you would have to sacrifice lunch times and stuff I don't know. It really depends if your school is willing to bend the rules a bit. In mine, they only let us switch subs within the first 6 weeks i think for that very reason, otherwise you wouldn't fulfil the hours.

PaintItBlack

HSC
I'll try doing that. As for the hour thing, could they give me take-home work to do by myself? Would that count? I need to build a case before I can do anything...

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
you need to have a certain number of supervised hours. I think its too late, i tired changed a few weeks ago. They wont let me.

PaintItBlack

HSC
What if I do a home-schooled/Open High course? Do they need to be supervised?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Right now, I'm doing one subject which I really, really hate, and am actually failing in, and I want to do another subject which I actually like. The problem is that half-yearlies have already finished, and I think that it's too late to swap. I've been independently studying the subject I want to go in, in accordance to the curriculum, so I don't think that catching-up is a problem.
Is it possible to swap half-way through Year 11 if I can prove to them that I won't fall behind?

Yes, I know that I'm stupid and have bad decision-making skills.
Which subject do you want to switch to and from which one?

PaintItBlack

HSC
Good choice. How about you ask if you can do your school's Physics Half Yearly and if you get like 80%+ you use that as proof that you can still do Physics.
I was thinking about asking something like that, but they then I might be able to cheat from someone else's paper... Maybe some really old one that they never published on the website? Good idea, though.
The biggest issue, I think, is the hours one. Are they really rigid about that?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I was thinking about asking something like that, but they then I might be able to cheat from someone else's paper... Maybe some really old one that they never published on the website? Good idea, though.
The biggest issue, I think, is the hours one. Are they really rigid about that?
Does your school publish papers on it's website?

What do you mean by 'hours one'?

PaintItBlack

HSC
Does your school publish papers on it's website?
Yeah, but not many, so quite a few exams from previous years won't be up.

And by 'hours one', I mean the minimum amount of hours that have to be completed in order to be elegible for the HSC. I can't remember how many, but it'd be a squeeze to try and fit them all in.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Yeah, but not many, so quite a few exams from previous years won't be up.

And by 'hours one', I mean the minimum amount of hours that have to be completed in order to be elegible for the HSC. I can't remember how many, but it'd be a squeeze to try and fit them all in.
My school still let kids who were failing 2 unit maths drop to General after the Half Yearlies, so I see no reason why you're school will refuse you. As for taking the exam, why don't you just suggest to you're teachers to change the numbers in the numerical exam questions as around 50% of the exam should just be maths based( or at least they're in my school). I don't think that you'll be able to do much with the theory questions though.

PaintItBlack

HSC
My school still let kids who were failing 2 unit maths drop to General after the Half Yearlies, so I see no reason why you're school will refuse you. As for taking the exam, why don't you just suggest to you're teachers to change the numbers in the numerical exam questions as around 50% of the exam should just be maths based( or at least they're in my school). I don't think that you'll be able to do much with the theory questions though.
So some of the Physics hours will also be used up in Maths? Did I misunderstand? And then I'll have to do extra hours to reach the number of theory hours?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)