Is it true it's best to go to uni in the city your parents live in? (1 Viewer)

What uni would be better?

• Hometown uni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a sydney uni

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

bec_peace

HSC
I watched a program last night which said if you go to a uni not in your hometown, the drop out rate is 10% higher than if you went to your hometown uni...it was on the abc so I believe it.

If your hometown uni is offering the same bachelor degree as a less prestigious uni and you were able to get free boardand food & stay with your family and friends, is it better to go there than go to a uni like USYD or UNSW where you'd be all alone and wouln't know your way around (more prestigious and the degree sounds better + more to do in Syd)

Sorry if this is confusing...;)

twistedrebel

HSC
The increase in dropout rate is probably dude the kids unable to support themselves financially and lazy to work etc. 10% increase isn't a huge difference. Go to a uni, which suits you best, if you want go to a prestige uni, go for it. There are thousands of kids who do ir each year.

Even people from sydney going to uni in sydney, sometimes dont know anyone at the uni.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Any advantage to be gained by attending my hometown uni is most likely to be negated by my parents' freakish ability to get on my nerves on a daily basis.

I don't mind working a bit harder to not have any nag me when I come home.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
It depends on your personality, really.

I live in Wollongong, about a 30 second walk from the Uni. I'm pretty much the closest house to the uni that could ever exist.

But I don't want to stay here, personally, because I feel I will never gain independence. I will never really 'live' and experience life if I just continue to live here with everything provided for me. I want to get out into the big wide world and have to work and struggle to pay for rent etc etc. Therefore, I want to go to a Sydney Uni. The 'prestige', yeah, is a benefit, but I wouldn't move for that reason alone.

NewiJapper

HSC
Well, If you lived in Newcastle and you wanted to go to a Sydney univeristy...I'd say its better to go to Newcastle purely because it is just as good of an education as one at sydney and you get the same degree.

But say you live in armidale, Sydney would be a better option than the local uni...

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I live in Sydney but UWS is the closest. But I wouldn't call it my hometown Uni as I still have to travel a lot to get there.

red-butterfly

HSC
My hometown is also sydney, i live just about 10mins from UWS

but i'm not going there, I've chosen to be out of my local environment... too many bogans in Mt Druitt

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
i could go to a uni 15 mins away but i choose to go to one (at least) 2.5 hrs away.

Shaybay92

HSC
I chose to go to ANU in canberra despite living 3minutes drive from a university. This is because ANU is a prestigious university and has a much better engineering program. It also means I can live with my boyfriend after 4 years of living separately. So I will still have a support system there.

HSC
Uni Grad
I would always go to the closest uni due to proximity advantages.

It's the same course, you get the same accreditations, who gives a fuck where you do it.

Shaybay92

HSC
I voted Sydney uni. This is because it was only asked which university would be better.... in terms of your education and future opportunities I would have to say the more prestigious university would always win. 10% is a small difference that is probably accounted for by the "i want to move out of home and do uni because it sounds like the cool thing to do/independence seeking kids" and then they realize that uni is too hard to cope with and they can't afford it and they move back home anyway.

As long as you KNOW that you have strong financial support, you are confident in receiving part time or casual work (if you haven't already got a job lined up) and you feel prepared to live away from home, then you should be fine.

Epic

HSC
Go for it! You can't depend on your parents forever, now is the perfect time to get out into the world, go to a great uni and become independant. In the future you will thank yourself you made this choice.

aussie-boy

HSC
Going to uni in your hometown can trap you in ur high school circle of friends, reduce any incentive to move out of home and restrict all the good experiences from living with other students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)