Is it true that UTS business school is absolutely crap? (1 Viewer)

cheeman150

HSC
And that it's graduates are not looked upon as favorably as Macquarie,UNSW or syd uni graduates

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
umm... what are you on?

UTS business school is great and is one of the most "practical" and "hands-on" schools there are in NSW which is preferred by employers.

I personally know many people who graduate from UTS business and land excellent jobs with very good companies at salaries which most other people don't get offered due to the practicality/structure of the course.

And for employment your skills to communicate with others successfully and to work in teams is one of the most important, so it isn't just the degree that's required.

HSC
Haha every UTSer loves the "practicality" of their degree

As i said in another thread, for high level finance u'll pretty much have to come from UNSW/USYD

But for accounting it doesn't really matter.

Overall: UNSW/USYD>MACQ>UTS>UWS

ascentyx

HSC
Ehh typical elitist BoS user who thinks high uai/atar entrances correlate to a 'better' degree. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of 'high level finance' taught in degrees like Quant Finance at UTS and Actuarial Studies at macq.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

As i said in another thread, for high level finance u'll pretty much have to come from UNSW/USYD

I don't know if this matters but I did a finance course at UNSW and the author for the textbook was from UTS.

HSC
Ehh typical elitist BoS user who thinks high uai/atar entrances correlate to a 'better' degree. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of 'high level finance' taught in degrees like Quant Finance at UTS and Actuarial Studies at macq.
Um no.

I never said 'high level finance' was NOT taught in UTS and Macq. In fact, I find that whats taught in UNSW is probably easier compared to other courses at other unis.

All I know is, from my experience, alot of the top finance-related employers (IB, trading, mgmt consulting) have preference for UNSW/USYD students. E.g. When I went for an assessement centre 3 weeks ago for an investment bank, out of the 20 candidates, 12 were from UNSW, 3 from USYD and the rest from interstate.

Go figure

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Actually your chances don't depend on what university you went to but on the university the people who are employing you went to. It is understandable that they tend to employ those who are from the same environment as them. They know about the uni they went to and not much about the other unis. In the future this will become problematic for the Australian economy. White anglo saxon male tend to be in the senior management in Australian firms and therefore will have problems in the asian market.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Um no.

I never said 'high level finance' was NOT taught in UTS and Macq. In fact, I find that whats taught in UNSW is probably easier compared to other courses at other unis.

All I know is, from my experience, alot of the top finance-related employers (IB, trading, mgmt consulting) have preference for UNSW/USYD students. E.g. When I went for an assessement centre 3 weeks ago for an investment bank, out of the 20 candidates, 12 were from UNSW, 3 from USYD and the rest from interstate.

Go figure
It has absolutely nothing to do with what uni you went to... at the end of the day, you graduate from university with a piece of paper, and this does not form part of the criteria for graduate employment selection. Instead, it is based on stuff that is less superficial than "what uni you went to", like your experiences, what you've done with yourself, how you've involved yourself in the local and wider community, how well you can communicate, what skills can you bring to the table. stuff like that. stuff that will BENEFIT the employer. what uni you went to will NOT in anyway give the employer any benefits. it is just a coincidence that more people were from UNSW etc, and obviously they were the better candidates for reasons MORE than just that they went to UNSW.

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
I went into a business lecture like 2 weeks ago.
They watched The Chasers, it was fun.
Now I changed UTS from 6th to like 3rd in my UAC preferences.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
It has absolutely nothing to do with what uni you went to... at the end of the day, you graduate from university with a piece of paper, and this does not form part of the criteria for graduate employment selection. Instead, it is based on stuff that is less superficial than "what uni you went to", like your experiences, what you've done with yourself, how you've involved yourself in the local and wider community, how well you can communicate, what skills can you bring to the table. stuff like that. stuff that will BENEFIT the employer. what uni you went to will NOT in anyway give the employer any benefits. it is just a coincidence that more people were from UNSW etc, and obviously they were the better candidates for reasons MORE than just that they went to UNSW.
Also, in previous work experience as well (in areas related to, and not related to investment banking.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Each uni receives different reception for different faculties

Praised:
UNSW LAW
USYD Med, dentistry all those science stuff
UTS LAW + ENGINEERING

(correct me if im wrong)

idk the others

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Each uni receives different reception for different faculties

Praised:
UNSW LAW
USYD Med, dentistry all those science stuff
UTS LAW + ENGINEERING

(correct me if im wrong)

idk the others
More like:
UNSW: Commerce
USyd: Arts
Law, Science, Engineering, Medicine, everything else = either - consider friends, travel time etc etc.
Macquarie: Actuarial?
UTS: Journalism

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
^^ Macqaurie has a really solid actuarial (was the first to offer it), finance and accounting program.

In reply to the original question, I've had a few chats with HR at the firm I was at regarding this topic. The consensus from what I've seen + what they've told me is that where you got your degree from means nothing. It's more a question of what you actually did with your qualification.

In regards to the teaching practises of the UTS business school, I can only go off hearsay but I've consistently been told that it's pretty decent.

Last edited:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
yes, how could I forget that! LOL. I myself am working in an accounting firm, and this is something that I am sure will be looked on favourably despite the fact that I go to UTS (even though I know there is nothing dreadfully wrong with the uni hahaha!)

Bored as brew

HSC

i dont think it matters, my mates brother does accounting at UWS and landed a job with Ernst and Young earning $70,000 a year...he's only 20, u mad?

determine

Premium Member
HSC
i dont think it matters, my mates brother does accounting at UWS and landed a job with Ernst and Young earning $70,000 a year...he's only 20, u mad?
not to doubt the credibility of your mate's brother, but it seems highly unlikely that he is earning $70k a year after only seemingly having completed 1-2 years of university. Some graduate salaries aren't even that high for accounting in some firms. You are probably thinking of $30k, not $70k. Take that from someone who is working in accounting firm and who is about the same age.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)