is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Smiddy

50% deaf...
HSC
just wondering.....

i just started tutoring at a tutoring centre and the 1st session the lady told me to start writing summaries, i paid $40 to sit there for 80mins while she watched me doe summaries... do you think its worth it? should i stick around for a little bit longer?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
A load of rubbish. You can write summaries at home. Next she'll tell you to practice. You can practice at home.

Dump her fast.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Tutoring in general is a waste of time unless you've got specific questions to ask the tutor and they work through them with you, otherwise you can do summaries, practice papers and miscellaneous other things at home for free. Next time come in prepared by knowing where the gaps in you're knowledge are, and remember you're paying her, not the other way around, and as such it's your position to decide how you wish for the sessions to run.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Tutors are not a waste of time if they either answer questions that you bring to class, or teach you a different topic each time, so that when you're learning it at school, it won't be so baffling.

My math tutor charges $55 an hour, and just gives me either past papers or answers questions I bring to class. :p I think it's sort of a waste of money, but it helps a bit, I guess. I can say that I'm quite capable of both maths and extension 1, but not because of tutoring. I do a lot of practise and tons of past papers before exams. So it's really all up to yourself - a tutor's just there to explain what you don't understand. It's kind of the same thing as say, ringing your math teacher to ask a question. :p Except you usually wouldn't do that.

HSC
N/A
yep i think that tutoring is a waste of time. if you have a decent teacher at school then you'll be fine. all you have to do is get the theory at school and revise it, do past papers, exercises and yep your school home work. the only times that you shoudl go to tutor is if you're damn clueless or you want to learn things ahead of other people.

Lisa05

HSC
I think tutoring can be really good as long as you make the most out of it..You have to be dedicated to learning and practice the things you learn otherwise it will all go down the drain....also dont be to reliant on tutors cause at the end of the day, YOU sit the exam and not them....

P

pLuvia

Smiddy said:
just wondering.....

i just started tutoring at a tutoring centre and the 1st session the lady told me to start writing summaries, i paid $40 to sit there for 80mins while she watched me doe summaries... do you think its worth it? should i stick around for a little bit longer?
honestly if the tutor just tells you to do summaries all lesson, while she does nothing but watch and point out things, i recommend you stop but as people say 1st impressions cannot determine anything. Try a few more lessons if it continues like this just quit. And $40 can get you a better tutor, and normal one which actually teaches you stuff. If all fails buy the "Understanding maths" books, really good summaries and questions and explanations. :) good luck

Scanorama

HSC
Writing summaries for general maths, how??? The tutor should be able to answer all your questions and give out heaps of excerices and explains. If you have big diffculty in maths, then you may consider getting a private one-to-one tutor, it is much more effective than in a big tutoring group. Otherwise, like the others have said, you might be able to do all the exercises at home and bring all the questions to school and ask your teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)