Is it worth to join the Arc membership? (1 Viewer)

s1833

HSC
Hi
I am going to become a first year student at UNSW,
and I am wondering whether it is a worth thing to get a membership of Arc?(It cost quite a bit).
And how about AIESEC and Oxfarm UNSW.
And finally, how to get in Student's Union/Student Guild?
Thank you

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
s1833 said:
Hi
I am going to become a first year student at UNSW,
and I am wondering whether it is a worth thing to get a membership of Arc?(It cost quite a bit).
And how about AIESEC and Oxfarm UNSW.
And finally, how to get in Student's Union/Student Guild?
Thank you

if you are thinking of getting involved in the uni community, so i.e. volunteering for stuff like hypesmiths, contact, etcetcetc - then you need to be an ARC member, so i.e. you'll need membership.

Other than that, if you check out the website www.arc.unsw.edu.au where you can see what you can get out of being an ARC member, and if it isn't for you then don't bother. Especially if you feel it is too expensive for you.

AIESEC, check out the stall on the main walkway - there should be one. Otherwise, my friend is heavily involved in it, and he's in charge of recruiting etc.

Btw, it's 'Oxfam' not 'OxfaRm' - they should have a stall too, not sure about that one.

And the student union, do you mean ARC?! As that is the prime student body for the uni these days... and what do u mean by "get in" ?

Beege

HSC
I was told today that if I want to join a society I need to join up with arc. Fuck that too expensive. We are uni students c'mon we can't afford that!

EDIT: You can join up with a society without arc membership but it costs heaps more to join

s1833

HSC
Emm...
Thanks, I think I will join the AIESEC.
But I am still debating whether I should join the Arc because I have lessons five days a week and I need to work at weekends, so I am thinking if I join the Arc I would not have much time to participate the activities!
Any suggestions?
P.S How about International student for social equality(ISSE)?

Beege

HSC
I also agree I need time for work commitments

mandee

HSC
man...it is pretty expensive $149 =O
i dont think it's worth it...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
there's some stupid rule that we cannot join Arc-affiliated clubs/soc's if we don't have the full $149 membership, otherwise those clubs/soc's will charge us $40 for each club/soc we join...
Club Membership - $40:

* This limited level of membership means you can join any of Arc’s clubs and societies. For each club you would like to join you have to pay the $40 fee.
* Club membership will not provide you with full access to our member benefits so why not become a full member? Especially if you want to join more than one of our fantastic clubs!

Click here to see a club listing.
but having seen the number of non-Arc members signing up to clubs/socs without paying the $40 admin fee, i don't know how Arc will enforce it or how the clubs/socs will react..

edit: so Arc is going to ask you to pay money for the 'right' to volunteer in their programshttp://www.arc.unsw.edu.au/Volunteering-18.aspx. noice.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
there's some stupid rule that we cannot join Arc-affiliated clubs/soc's if we don't have the full $149 membership, otherwise those clubs/soc's will charge us $40 for each club/soc we join...but having seen the number of non-Arc members signing up to clubs/socs without paying the $40 admin fee, i don't know how Arc will enforce it or how the clubs/socs will react..
That'd be cause of the ridiculous amount student unions need to spend administrating C&S, auditing their reports and providing subsidies to their activities. As overblown as the $40 seems, it's really not.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
That'd be cause of the ridiculous amount student unions need to spend administrating C&S, auditing their reports and providing subsidies to their activities. As overblown as the $40 seems, it's really not.
what i'm concerned about is the fact that i've seen clubs/socs sign up members for a nominal membership amount ($5/$10) without charging this $40...

so what is the effect of these first years who have paid their $5/$10? are they full members of these Arc-affiliated clubs/societies? who is going to enforce the $40 charge? does anyone care?

barling89

McLovin it :D
HSC
man, those yellowshirt tour guides have just about convinced me to join ARC - can anyone provide reasons to why I shouldn't join?

Last edited:

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
barling89 said:
man, those yellowshirt tour guides have just about convinced me to join ARC - can anyone provide reasons to why I shouldn't join?

haha,

JOIN JOIN JOIN ! :D

free entry to all parties @ the round, why on earth not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)