Is Music Extension HARD HARD! ??? (1 Viewer)

steban

violin dude
HSC
as the title says, i was just wondering if the extension course was like, SUPER HARD!!

my current status, music lover, has a great passion for music, wants to be in the music industry in someway as a career

iv played piano for like..8 years i think, currently workin on 8th grade AMEB
played violin for ...soon to be 2 years, currently blitzing 5th grade.

Interested in Performing, though wouldent mind composing, mite need to work on musicology.

i really want to do music extension, music teacher is tellin me to as well when the time comes, just wanted to know its level of difficulty, thanks guys!

steven

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
You can't really label music extension as 'Hard'- it's really based on the 'standard' requried to acheive good results.
I'm pretty sure Performance and Composition aspects of Music Extension are marked in the HSC on a 'Bell curve'. That means that the best musicians in the state will recieve the top score, and then the rest may fall under that mark and so on.

In Music Extension 'You' choose which area you wish to focus on.

You either choose

- Performance (peforming your own choice pieces in the HSC peformance exam, without any requirements, unlike Music 2)

- Composition (compose a piece up to 3 minutes in length? You can check that with the other composers on BoS)

- Musicology (3000 word essay. You can choose the topic, and what format you present it in)

- - - - - - - - - - -

Basically Music Extension isn't really like a normal class. It's your own 'personal' projects, which you will get help on from a teacher- but you have freedom to do your own thing.

You could, say for instance if you chose Performance-
to do a bunch of pieces from the 3rd Grade AMEB Syllabus.
It's up to YOU what mark you get- how well your performance goes.
For your Piano standard, 8th grade is definatley suitable for Music Extension.
Violin, you could choose wether or not. You've got 300-400 students each year taking Music Extension. That's not a huge candidature, but seeing as it's marked on a Bell Curve (I think. You might want to double check that) Make sure you feel confident enough to do it.

Hey, you could always just give it a go.

phatic

HSC
I think it would be a good choice if you love music and would like to become a professional musician. Good luck! :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
With Composition, its actually to compose 2 pieces to a certain length.

Its been years, I'd have to patch up on the Music Ext guidelines.

I suggest you do what you feel you best know. Composition is fun yes, and Musicology could be interesting, but it sounds like Performance is your strongest card at the moment.

joy_sze

HSC
Well... I do Music Ext composition. It's fun!! You have to write 2 pieces. The combined duration has to be within 6 minutes.

For Ext performance, you play 3 pieces. The whole program has a time limit of 20 minutes and I think 1 of the pieces has to be an ensemble piece.

Not sure about musicology though.

musik-nerd

HSC
Music Ext is awesome! - especially if ur doing performance!!
As people said it can't really be classified as "hard" cause u get to perform what u want to. And with music 2 u only get to play 3 pieces, and if u really love performing an extra 3 isn't too much work, cause personally i'd find working on 3 works for a whole year would be pretty dull.
If you're worried about the standard and what kinda mark you'd get, your best off trying ext music and making sure uv got an extra unit or so just incase, because really the extra unit of ext music isn't gona kill much more of ur time, if ur already practising and playing heaps of stuff already.

good luck and remember song choice is really important!

p.s. ext compo can be pretty fun too

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Music extension was the easiest subject I did. :D
I did performance: It's 3 pieces, one of which has to be an ensemble piece. But it's great because you don't have to select pieces to fit into a certain topic.

AmenoKitarou

HSC
In my school, we're not allowed to take Extension performance unless we're at least AmusA....

Composition is a very fun course to do though~

babylupin

HSC
I agree.

I couldn't compose if my life depended on it.

That is why i am focusing on musicology.

I don't think Music Extension is that hard - if you've got the drive and passion, you should wing it in! You'llbe right a rain if you really put your mind to it!

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
is there any reccommended level to do music extension?
like for performance could you do a 5th Grade ameb piece perfectly and get the same mark as some one who may be doing an amus piece?
and for composition is there any reccomended level too? (5th Grade ameb theory?)

sn0w_flakez

HSC
Well, I'm doing Music ext majoring in performance and all I can say is that it's not a hard subject...provided that you practice xD. However, in saying this, you must realise who you're competing with, and do realise that most performers who do Music Ext are at a certain level. All the music ext students I know are at least Amus standard.

If you truly feel passionate about music, and your willing to put in those extra hours practicing your pieces, then go ahead!

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
I'd ask someone who marks it...

If you're getting Band 6 marks for an area in Music 2 I'd be doing it...

If you're getting top band 5, I wouldn't bother... not that you're not good enough... It's just that a marker pretty much explained to me that band 5 music is band E3 or E2... so you want to be careful... If you think you can get band 6... then go for it... besides it means you can shut other music nerds up...

otherwise be careful, because I think you might end up dissapointed...

I haven't found it hard, but yea...

At 8th Grade Piano you should find it easy (depending on what 8th grade that is though, remembering that AMEB is considered about 1 or 2 grades above trinity and ANSCA)

just choose good pieces... not necessarily pieces that show you off, but pieces the examiners will enjoy... and things that show you're a good musician... they're not interested in who can play Rachmaninov fastest... but who can play it the nicest.

Polonaisy

HSC
do you go to sydney con high?! either way, you scare me. :p coz i only passed amusa, like, last year and im doing extension.

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
I hope you do notice that this thread was created in 4 Oct 2006... ;/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)