is MX2 necessary for Chemical Engineering (1 Viewer)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
MX2 is good for any engineering but MX1 is enough and you will learn it anyways

astroman

HSC
is the maths the same in all engineering courses at New south?

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
4U gives u advantage but 3U is good enough

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
3u is enough

you learn 4U and a little bit more maths in first year

after that there's not really much official 'maths' subjects its more just application of your knowledge to problems and stuff
Aren't you like 12?

"After that" at unsw anyways, you do at least 2 more maths subjects called engineering mathematics and a stats subject which will be pretty much new stuff

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Square I'm cut </3 16 ALMOST 17 PLS NOT 12

haha I was looking up on chemical engineering, idk this is just what I've been hearing from people/someprofessor/course outlines
okay sorry, 12.5 :p

the maths involved are pretty rigrious but nothing that can't be learn with hard work and dedication. For example; I am doing these subjects as a part of my degree: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/.../files/uploads/BE_BSc_Plan_3711_MTRN_2013.pdf and you can see there are 4 maths courses just like in civil engineering: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/.../files/Bachelor of Civil Engineering 3620.pdf .

It appears that there is only 3 in that pdf so i don't know what's up with that, but the point I was trying to make is that MX2 is beneficial to the earlier years (although not required) but there is more advanced work later on

HSC
N/A
the maths involved are pretty rigrious but nothing that can't be learn with hard work and dedication. For example; I am doing these subjects as a part of my degree: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/.../files/uploads/BE_BSc_Plan_3711_MTRN_2013.pdf and you can see there are 4 maths courses just like in civil engineering: http://www.engineering.unsw.edu.au/.../files/Bachelor of Civil Engineering 3620.pdf .

It appears that there is only 3 in that pdf so i don't know what's up with that, but the point I was trying to make is that MX2 is beneficial to the earlier years (although not required) but there is more advanced work later on
Isn't CVEN2002 really a maths course? Or at least half stats?

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
mx2 is basically necessary for uni

Unless you're going there just to have fun or some chit- all the degrees which lead to worthwhile careers have 4u content in the first year. So you may as well learn it a year earlier and actually benefit from the scaling+ that way you don't have to pick up some other chitty subject you will never use again in its place.

astroman

HSC
careers advisor says that 3u is enough for all engineering, 4u is helpful but not necessary

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You'll be fine without 4U if you do lower maths. I know people who did ok in 3U and still did ok in uni maths so its fine.

char_182

HSC
Its great to do 4U, good to do 3U but if you're willing to make some effort you'll be fine doing 2U. I'm currently a 2nd year chem eng student and I only did 2U for HSC (got band 6 so didn't need to do bridging course) and I've been doing pretty ok. I was pretty lazy with work in 1st semester 1st year (MATH 1A) but managed to pass by cramming at the end. Also passed MATH 1B but I found it a bit harder than 1A. The 2 2nd year maths courses you'll have to do are fairly easy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)