Is Religion the main cause of Poverty or is money? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
Uni Grad
I was having a debate with a guy in Year 11 who believes that religion is the main cause of poverty. Only I disagreed believing that money, resulting in greed particularly in certain countries, is the cause of poverty and poverty is not dictated by religion but by the amount of money someone has or earns. If you want to know why he thought Religion was a major cause of poverty he basically goes along the same lines as Richard Dawkins, one that religions are oppressive.

I can't say my debating skills are brilliant, I'm kind of an amateur but I like debating none the less. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. Is religion the main cause of poverty or is money? Personally I think money is. Or what do you feel are the major reasons?

I couldn't see another thread on this topic but if there is one please close this.

Last edited:

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
No, *not* having money is the cause of poverty.

HSC
Uni Grad
KFunk said:
Is the sky red, or is it green?
Depends whether you are colour blind or not :rolleyes:it is blue but I won't go into the science of it.

Edit: Wohoo! I'm doing four units of English and my spelling is absolutely crap. Thank God for spell check.

Farfour

Banned
HSC
N/A
The Eagle456840 said:
Depends whether your colour blind or not :rolleyes:it is blue but I won't go into the science of it.
He was mocking you, you oblivious cunt.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
The Eagle456840 said:
Depends whether you are colour blind or not :rolleyes:it is blue but I won't go into the science of it.

Edit: Wohoo! I'm doing four units of English and my spelling is absolutely crap. Thank God for spell check.
the funnier thing is that it doesn't matter if you are colourblind...

HSC
Uni Grad
Farfour said:
He was mocking you, you oblivious cunt.
Hmm, seems my sarcasm senses failed me that time. Oh well. I don't care.

I'm probably going to sound like a total hypocrite but there's one thing about swearing. Depending on how much you do it it shows you have a very narrow vocabulary. So low that you have to insert such words to make up for it.

Last edited:

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
Well its hard to start any debate since you haven't told us any reasons for why religion would be the root of poverty. Although, i believe that it does cause some poverty when people refuse aid, medical treatment or any job seen in discretion with a certain religion, resulting in that family or individual being poor. HOWEVER, money is too broad of a term to be compared to religion, and of course is the reason for poverty, no money = no food = you die. But there is more then just money...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
If I were to point to something which might be the main cause of poverty... other than the obvious 'lack of resources' thing, I'd probably say war and poverty form a bit of a self-referential mobius strip.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The Eagle456840 said:
Hmm, seems my sarcasm senses failed me that time. Oh well. I don't care.
The point wasn't to mock you so much as the question - it isn't open ended enough. You can't have a very good debate regarding the question 'Is the sky red or green?' because it seems to implicitly assume that it is one or the other when, in fact, it is neither, thus leading down a dead-end pathway. The case of poverty is so complex that I think it is poor form to assume from the outset that either religion or money lie at the root. A broader question like 'What are the likely causes of poverty?' would set things up for a much better discussion.

A similarly silly debate question would be: Is depression caused by bad parenting, or by hormones?

Edit: And another classic bad question is: Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd say environmental reasons (which encompasses such diverse issues as the natural resources of your nation, soil + water wealth, geography, climate, population etc.) are the primary reason, with war, history and culture as contributing factors.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The Eagle456840 said:
I was having a debate with a guy in Year 11 who believes that religion is the main cause of poverty. Only I disagreed believing that money, resulting in greed particularly in certain countries, is the cause of poverty and poverty is not dictated by religion but by the amount of money someone has or earns. If you want to know why he thought Religion was a major cause of poverty he basically goes along the same lines as Richard Dawkins, one that religions are oppressive.

I can't say my debating skills are brilliant, I'm kind of an amateur but I like debating none the less. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this. Is religion the main cause of poverty or is money? Personally I think money is. Or what do you feel are the major reasons?

I couldn't see another thread on this topic but if there is one please close this.
No, corruption causes poverty.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
body thetans are the cause of poverty, imo
Shit, you're right. How do I subscribe to your magazine. Have you written a book on that or something? You should.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The premise "money as a cause of poverty" is retarded. The inequal distribution of money, is symptom of poverty, not a cause. You could argue the Western monetary and banking system is a cause of poverty.

Also, there is no correlation between religion and poverty. There are highly religious nations that are wealthy, and there are many that are poor.

You've proposed two choices that have nothing to do with causation of poverty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)