Is SAM accurate?? (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Xayma said:
Is it the mean? I thought it was the median. Laz which is it?
It's the median.

I suspect the mean would be higher... the distribution should be left-skewed.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I completed the HSC in 2002, and my projected UAI according to SAM was higher than my actual UAI. Considering the data used to project the UAI is not available, this was quite close to my actual UAI (I finished the HSC in 2002, with a UAI of 75.40, and the projected UAI was 76.35). Like the old lazseeker, I think the deviation between projected and actual UAIs remains considerably larger in the lower rankings than in the higher rankings, and the tendancy is for the projection to be higher than the actual scoring. While considerably more accurate than Lazseeker ever was, the tendency in the programming seems to remain towards the positive in the 80 and under range.

Maybe the designers of this excellent program might look into introducing a variable into the programming to correct for this deviation.

Timmay

HSC
ever thought about rigging SAM to count low to spur students onto greater feats?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I did consider doing that once. :)

Ultimately, it would eventually be discovered, and then it would no longer be effective.

But I don't really want to be deceiving people anyway.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Psychologically, it's a good idea, though. :)

mmmmm Ritilan

ok , just out of interest i wanted to see the difference in my uai if i did advanced english rather than standard.... i put my marks as 90 for every subject using standard and got 98.10 then the same with advanced and got 97.75.... i just found this a bit odd and was wondering if it was a mistake

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
mmmmm Ritilan said:
ok , just out of interest i wanted to see the difference in my uai if i did advanced english rather than standard.... i put my marks as 90 for every subject using standard and got 98.10 then the same with advanced and got 97.75.... i just found this a bit odd and was wondering if it was a mistake
r u sure? coz that's not right because usually adv and std English have the same scaling.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Damn! you're right! I just put the same marks in SAM and with English adv i got: 98.85......and for English std i got: 99.25.....that's about 0.4 difference....

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
mmmmm Ritilan said:
It's not a mistake.

A mark of 90 in Standard is far better than 90 in Advanced. Check out the corresponding state percentiles. You'd top the state with 90 in Standard but only be in the top 6% or so with 90 in Advanced.

You can't just put in marks of 90 for everything and compare the results. A mark of 90 means something completely different for every course. That's the whole purpose of having a scaling system - to make marks comparable between courses.

Skeeta

HSC
Laz.. if we wanted to estimate our marks tomorro after we get our results... which marks should we put in?? our aligned HSC marks or the aligned assessment marks.>??

epsilon

HSC
Just checked my uai using SAM. I know that there are variations of about 0.something, but I just want to know are those variations usually more than or less than the real uai's? Last year's HSC students, experiences plz?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
epsilon said:
Just checked my uai using SAM. I know that there are variations of about 0.something, but I just want to know are those variations usually more than or less than the real uai's? Last year's HSC students, experiences plz?
first or second thread ever in sam forum
"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?" If you find these hidden messages PM me. How long will it take?
it think they were both higher and lower

deef

so do our UAIs get scaled up more if our year is genearlly 'dumber' than previous years, or does it get scaled up if our year is genearlly smarter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)