Is science really difficult at uni? (1 Viewer)

dora_18

HSC
ummm...for chem in high school i did OK at times and crap at other times..i failed my trials:D around 70's...in the hsc i did better...

bio was much better, i aced it in high school, 80's 90's and 89in the actual hsc

lala2

Banned
HSC
Am I right in saying that all Cumberland students will have done psychology relating to treatment and patient mentalities? We do it in pharmacy, so I don't expect it to be too different for you guys.

dora_18

HSC
yup that'd be correct :D
every course has some sort of psychological dimension considering you're going to be dealing with possible patients in future jobs

dora_18

HSC
and now would also be a good time to add that in semester 2 of first year you get to work with cadavers in anatomy
the joyful activity for me starts next week, im very excited :D:D

lala2

Banned
HSC
looks like semester 2 is actually gonna be relevant for everyone! We're doing more relevant and interesting subjects this semester, and I was thinking last semester that if pharmacy was gonna be like this for the next four years, I might as well drop out now. And playing with cadavers, dora_18? Mmmm....yummy.....*sucks on semester 2 lollipop*

dora_18

HSC
looks like semester 2 is actually gonna be relevant for everyone! We're doing more relevant and interesting subjects this semester, and I was thinking last semester that if pharmacy was gonna be like this for the next four years, I might as well drop out now. And playing with cadavers, dora_18? Mmmm....yummy.....*sucks on semester 2 lollipop
yeah i know, i really didn't like first semester, this semester is so much better! im so excited, all the topics im doing are awesome , its more hands on, more lab/practical work..
and yeah...its awesome, i actually WANT to go to 8am lectures:p

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
Tennille said:
If you are unsure of what you would like to do, I suggest you do B
Science. It is very flexible and there are many different majors available.
but isn't health sci about the health areas of sci not just straigt science?
i duno. VERY confused.......

coz it hought health sci will go more into the health areas of science rather than make you do maths, chem and stuff all over again....

so dats why i wanted to do health science.......
but will u touch on psychology and neuroscience?

dora_18

HSC
B. Science is VERY different to B.Health science, so much so the two aren't even on the same campus:p, ok that was a bad justification
theoretically, they're both sciences, and i highlighted what you will do within the course, in B Science you have to pick subjects that directly refer to the outline of the course, eg you have to do maths as an actual subject. In B.Health science you dont even though you have electives in 2nd year 1st yr are mandatory subjects

So in a nutshell: no health science isnt exactly like normal straight science
and they will still make you study maths, chem and physics to a certain degree, you cant possibly want to enter any health science course and expect not to study that...health IS science related...and you cant start discussing health issues without having covered assumed knowledge such as organic or biochem.

And if you want to do health science without wanting to do science...dont enter any courses that are health related becuase you'll be dissapointed

and yes you will touch on psychology, its part of a major core unit in first year along with sociology, neuroscience is also touched upon but not a huge emphasis is places upon it, you do discuss it in anatomy and even biological-psych but if its something you;re really interested in there is a specific course on neuroscience or even courses that have a greater focus on it like

Bachelor of Applied Science (MRS) Diagnostic Radiography

you should really check out a UAC guide to get yourself familiar with courses offered..or go see a careers advisor

Last edited:

dora_18

HSC
i never knew science was all about grammar! but thanks!because coming from you that means a lot..BEc/Arts and all

by the way...grammar and typos are two different things

and i dont proof read everything i type out...people have lives you know:D

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Science I'd say is more in the theoretical stuff of things, and really is grounding of your basic maths, physics, bio, chem, psychology, neuroscience, etc. You'd probably have more 'thereotically-based' labs.

Health science I'd say--well, you do get the basic maths, sciences, etc, but a large focus is on its practical application to society. These degrees I really get the impression of, prepare you for interacting with the rest of the community, while a basic science degree is better for further education, lab research, or lecturing or teaching.

tennille

HSC
Actually, a lot of the labs in a science degree are not theoretically based. I did Molecular Biology last semester and completed a practical that involved DNA fingerprinting (like on C.S.I.). Also, in first year, we had to which patients had certain diseases based on gel electrophoresis. The type of labs you have are really dependent on the subjects you do.

Health Science would most probably have labs that would relate to that profession. For example, Orthoptics students have labs where you examine a patients' eyes, etc. But I think it's best for someone who does Health Science to explain the labs (I'm not entirely sure myself).

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
gracie007 said:
I've heard that doing any science at uni is very hard. Is this true? How is the transition from high school science (chem / bio in particular) to uni science?

See , I love the subject, but I'm not SUPER good at it, so I guess if its extremely challenging I shouldnt bother...but i'd like to.

Thanks all.
Yes it's hard, but that didn't stop anyone getting a pass.

dora_18

HSC
Health Science would most probably have labs that would relate to that profession. For example, Orthoptics students have labs where you examine a patients' eyes, etc. But I think it's best for someone who does Health Science to explain the labs (I'm not entirely sure myself).
Health science labs differ depending on the subject, like in introductory physics and even chem we did some REALLY boring pracs. This term its much more fun, in microbiology we get to extract specific DNA, grow different types of fungi and bacteria colonies, and in anatomy we dissect and work with cadavers. But yes you're right, specific courses like physio relate straight to patients and you get to work with actual patients in practical placement....in all health science courses you'll be placed in some sort of health setting for clinical experience

gracie007

HSC
ok i have another couple of q's:

1) with the whole cadavers thing, i wouldnt mind it, but what years do you do thatin? and in what sort of subjects/courses?

2) i am doing general maths now (in year 12) . will that significantly disadvantage me? because i know you have to do maths subjects.

thnx!

tennille

HSC
For B Science, the minimum required maths knowledge is mathematics. That will allow you to do life science maths. If you really want to do B Science (or a related course), I suggest you do a mathematics bridging course. As for Health Science, I'm not completely sure.

dora_18

HSC
gracie007 said:
ok i have another couple of q's:

1) with the whole cadavers thing, i wouldnt mind it, but what years do you do thatin? and in what sort of subjects/courses?

2) i am doing general maths now (in year 12) . will that significantly disadvantage me? because i know you have to do maths subjects.

thnx!
cadavers are studied in anatomy, depends what course you do, we do them from second semester in 1st yr. You're likely to study them at some point in any health science course ...

as for the maths thing, if you're going into B. Science definitely do a mathematics bridging course, and in health science....umm it kinds depends if you're doing general maths becuase you can't be botherd to do at least 2unit mathematics standard or whether you actually have issues with the work content. In straight science theres cumpolsary maths, in health science is much more biologically based but in chem and physics components when you're doing minor calculations maths isnt re-taught its assumed knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)