Is suicide the "easy" option? (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I don't necessairly view it as selfish, they can be in very deep depression and to call them selfish for ending a life they didn't choose to be born into isn't deserved.

Edit: This isn't saying I endorse suicide as an option and would prefer to see no suicide and people to get professional help, but I wouldn't call it selfish.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Having 'been there' myself (long story short I was severely depressed and almost died. Yay for me), I never considered death as simply the 'easy' option. For me, it was a feeling of complete and utter hopelessness, that there was no other option, that this was the only way out. There was no light at the end of the tunnel, in my mind. I could either continue down that black tunnel for the rest of my natural life, or I could find an escape. And that seemed the only viable option. This was what went through my head, amongst other things. It's hard to comprehend the mind of a depressed person, unless you've been there yourself, I guess.

Is it selfish? yes probably. But at the time, I really couldn't fathom staying alive just to please my family. It would have been a pointless existance, existing purely for someone else, and not for myself, not because I wanted to.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
i agree with ntb and white rabbit..

suicide isnt death, its an escape...

rink

HSC
Suicide is the easy way out for the person. If it weren't, why would they do it? It's really a matter of common sense.

However, as was said before, it isn't the easy way out for the family. Obviously. So not only is suicide cowardly, it's also selfish.

rink

HSC
Xayma said:
I don't necessairly view it as selfish, they can be in very deep depression and to call them selfish for ending a life they didn't choose to be born into isn't deserved.

Edit: This isn't saying I endorse suicide as an option and would prefer to see no suicide and people to get professional help, but I wouldn't call it selfish.

Ur wrong. It is selfish. What do u do define selfish as? It's to do thing's only to benefit urself, even if it means causing other's a disadvantage/harm. That's why the word is SELFish. Because u only think about urself and not others. It doesn't matter if they had a choice over their birth.

Im not saying suicide is ALWAYS selfish, but it usually is. eg: someone might kill themselves coz they genuinely believe that by killing themselve, their making sum1 happy. In that case, their not selfish, their just an idiot.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Gavrillo said:
I know what you mean.

I actually had a girl that I was obbbbbbsessed with suicide in year 9.
It really hurt. I think there was one night where I came close to jumping off the headland.

I've dealt with the hurt mostly now, but there are some nights where I swear she's in my room.

wtf i thought your argonaut, cuase of your stupid avatar

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
rink said:
Ur wrong. It is selfish. What do u do define selfish as? It's to do thing's only to benefit urself, even if it means causing other's a disadvantage/harm. That's why the word is SELFish. Because u only think about urself and not others. It doesn't matter if they had a choice over their birth.

Im not saying suicide is ALWAYS selfish, but it usually is. eg: someone might kill themselves coz they genuinely believe that by killing themselve, their making sum1 happy. In that case, their not selfish, their just an idiot.
Give me your address:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004UE5V.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
rink said:
Suicide is the easy way out for the person. If it weren't, why would they do it? It's really a matter of common sense.

However, as was said before, it isn't the easy way out for the family. Obviously. So not only is suicide cowardly, it's also selfish.
Cowardly, bet you wouldn't do it.

Why the fuck should they be thinking of others, it wasn't their choice to be bought into the world, to deny them the liberty of choosing when to end their own life (although I strongly suggest encouraging them to continue) isn't your call.
rink said:
Xayma said:

Hence expecting them to continue with life is selfish since it causes them harm. If it is to benefit them, then their life must be in negative since they only come out by reducing further pain to themselves (since after death is nothing).

Their parents would've been selfish then, did they consider their kid would suffer pain but no they wanted a child. Friends are a little more of an issue, but whether they feel pain or not will often be percieved on how they view death.

But since studying for the HSC is selfish (by your definition) you shouldn't do that either.

cheetah

HSC
suicide is just selfish, however their are cases where suicide can be honorable, so for me it depends. their is also the arguement of how you suicide, if you make it easy of course its the easy way out, but if you at japanese tradition on suicide they really didnt make it easy for themselves... knife in the gut, thats excrutiating pain man!.

rink

HSC
Xayma said:
Cowardly, bet you wouldn't do it.

Why the fuck should they be thinking of others, it wasn't their choice to be bought into the world, to deny them the liberty of choosing when to end their own life (although I strongly suggest encouraging them to continue) isn't your call.
Hence expecting them to continue with life is selfish since it causes them harm. If it is to benefit them, then their life must be in negative since they only come out by reducing further pain to themselves (since after death is nothing).

Their parents would've been selfish then, did they consider their kid would suffer pain but no they wanted a child. Friends are a little more of an issue, but whether they feel pain or not will often be percieved on how they view death.

But since studying for the HSC is selfish (by your definition) you shouldn't do that either.
Yeah i WOULDN'T do it. You know why? coz i believe in facing ur problems and not running away from them, and i wouldn't be that selfish!!! So what if they didn't have the choice? Thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard. So what - let's say ur brother or sumthing gets into a car accident and is paralysed for the rest of his life. He is in need of personal care by you for whatever reason, but because it was never ur choice for him to have a car accident, then u decide to forget him coz uve got ur own life to live. Isn't that selfish? Not the best example, but it's the same concept.

If u commit suicide, it's only benefiting you. If others expect u to refrain from committing suicide ie.family, friends etc then it's benefiting more than just one person.

So now ur against having children too? From what u said, u shouldn't ever have kids coz u consider it selfish.

And that HSC comment was just ridiculous. First of all my definition stated that something is selfish when it's benefiting you at the COST OF OTHERS. Secondly, you assume im studying for the HSC to benefit myself. How would u know why im motivated to do well in the HSC? Maybe i'm only studying to please my parents, ever think of that?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
i think its worth it to start fresh make an attempt at a..new life etc..do something different..just not commit suicide
its worth a shot..and you have nothing to lose
coz if all fails then ur gonna kill urself neways

i wish ppl would try harder..go to councelling speak out get help etc
but then again i dunno what goes thru a suicidal persons mind

nwatts

HSC
People who commit suicide obviously hold no value in their life, so then how the hell are they going to "make an effort" or "try harder" like you all suggest.

If it wasn't for the emotional effects suicide has on the family and friends, we'd see a hell of a lot more people doing it. Stating the obvious, maybe. But I know of a few times when i've pulled myself together from such thoughts by thinking of the effects it would have on those I cared about.

Then you've got to think about those who have no family or friends. Those who are homeless or orphans. What's the point in them living if they aren't enjoying life? Not much, I say. To tell them "don't be such a coward, you've got so much to live for" is beyond stupid.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
soha said:
i wish ppl would try harder..go to councelling speak out get help etc
but then again i dunno what goes thru a suicidal persons mind
try harder? try telling that to someone who has been in and out of therapy for years, on different medications, with little support and values in their lives. it's hard to look at them and say.. oh just get help.

people say that therapy, counselling, medication, etc will help. it doesn't always work, sometimes it just feels like there is nothing else out there fore them.

then there is the "ultimate escape". tell me that if you've gone through all that, you wouldn't be looking to get away from it all and for them thats what they think is the only escape.

rink

HSC
nwatts said:
Then you've got to think about those who have no family or friends. Those who are homeless or orphans. What's the point in them living if they aren't enjoying life? Not much, I say. To tell them "don't be such a coward, you've got so much to live for" is beyond stupid.
Oh really now? Depression and sadness and all that is all relative. For them, being in their position is not as bad to them as it is to us. Why? Because they haven't experienced any better. How can u know the value of something, or how can u know to what extent ur situation is horrible when u have not experienced anything other than it. For example, how can u know how much poverty truly sucks if you've only ever been poor and never experienced wealth. The point im trying to make is that, for these ppl - yes, their situation is really bad. However, someone in western society today who is considering suicide for whatever reason, thinks of their life as crap to the same extent that these ppl think of their lives as crap. However, that doesn't mean we can sit there and complain about stuff now just coz its all relative. Because we, although we're rich and stuff, we have still experienced hunger, sadness, sleeping on the ground at one time or anoteher and all that. But they've never experienced the stuff we take for granted. That's the diff.

And you know what's really interesting? Generally speaking, the suicide rate in poor countries is not nearly as high as that in rich, western countries. That just goes to show what a bunch of ungrateful, whingers we are. This last statement may seem like im contradicting myself but if u read my post carefully, u'll see that im not.

Ciao

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
have you ever heard that depression can be hereditary and due to a chemical imbalance in the brain. before you start attacking me, yes there are differing professional opinions and schools of thought on it but why do you think people take anti-depressants.

also, give a thought to people will conditions like schizophrenia, OCD, etc. many of them won't become suicidal or even depressed, but tell me, what would you say to them if they did.

suck it up and stop whinging?

stop grouping people into strict groups. there are many different factors that contribute to depression and it'd be nice if you stopped saying everyone is a sad whinger who doesn't understand what third world kids go through

nwatts

HSC
I think he was more attacking me (hence quote).

But I agree with what you're saying there. To make sweeping generalisations like "depression is all relative" is just stupid. As mentioned, depression is very often a chemical problem. A disability of the body. Not a scale on how well-off or disadvantaged you are.

X

xeuyrawp

Suicide is neither more difficult or more hard; it's simply when the person has less ability to cope with the situation than what the situation has thrown at them at that particular time.

nwatts

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Suicide is neither more difficult or more hard; it's simply when the person has less ability to cope with the situation than what the situation has thrown at them at that particular time.
No, I don't really agree. :)

You're describing a complete mental breakdown. If someone can't cope with a situation, they have a breakdown. In an effort to cope, they'll resort to suicide. I think there's far more effort involved in killing yourself rather than simply shutting yourself off from humanity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)